Name That Player

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Kenard Mays

Kenard Mays

southavenrecreationcenter said:
From memphis Kenard Mays was a force from the late 60's. Played mostly at "funland" and bars around the memphis area. jerry brock came along in the 70's.

I didnt know him, Bill. Do you remember when Vernon Eliot robbed me playing banks in your joint?

the Beard

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
"Big Bird"

"Big Bird"

southavenrecreationcenter said:
It wasn't my place but I was involved.
Think it was at the "Golden Cue" partly owned by Richard Austin.

Did you know, "Big Bird", from the Golden Cue, Bill?

Lunchmoney

Verified Member
From
Washington State
fred bentivegna said:
Bill is on the original list that Steve submitted. If I remember correctly, Bill was originally from Wis. Bill used to come down to Bensinger's once in a while.
But that was in the 60s and 70s. I believe Rich and I played either in Burlington, Iowa or Moline, IL (that was quad-cities area) they held big tournaments around there for a few years. Rich and I did not play 9ball or straight pool. It was either 1pkt or banks.

the Beard

Freddie,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I scanned over the list a little too quickly and missed Bill's name. Bill lives on the west coast now in Oregon I believe. He had Lasik Eye Surgery and is hitting the balls pretty good. Geiler still lives in Seattle and still plays. The Parlor, a pool room in Bellevue, WA, hired him as the house pro.

Lunchmoney

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No appreciation

No appreciation

This post has nothing to do with this thread, but its a good place to vent my frustration. I put this up on AZforums re a post by a New Yorker to Grady, offering to stake John Schmidt, or Tony Robles, or another monster against Grady in a 1000 point straight match for 25k. The guy's "daring" offer inspired this response from me. What bothered my ego was the lack or response to my post. I thought it was one of the most sarcastic/funniest post I had ever done. I thought that I would at least get a few East Coasters mad. Nothing even from Grady, who I was defending on the forums for about the tenth time without one single acknowledgement for my support for the old guard. Come to think of it, I dont recall any post of his where he deigned to even mention me by name in any capacity. We do know each other, really. Are my feelings hurt? Yeah, maybe a little.

the Beard

Originally Posted by freddy the beard on AZ forums
I can't pass up this opportunity to comment on what we used to call a "New York Gamble," which was no gamble at all. After Jersey Red, Boston Shorty, Irvolino, Richie Ambrose etc. left NYC, in order to get a pool bet in NY your body had to be decomposing. When I was on the road in NYC, I got zero money games. Zero. Me. I've been know to get action in the game room at the Sistine Chapel. I was in McGirrs one night, practicing on the main table. A hustler walked up to me and asked me if I played 1pkt. I said yes. He asked me if I wanted to play for $10 a game. I said yes. He said, "Ha Ha, see you later." and walked away. Steve, your offer to back young 300 ball runners against someone on social security sounds strangely nostalgic.
So that all the Jersey guys dont feel left out, your gamble quotient was probably about 5% higher than NYC, and that did include Allen Hopkins, who when I played him bank pool in Chicago, swore he would play me for days (while he had me stuck), but when I raised the bet and got even, he hopped like Bugs Bunny. He and his backer were even amazingly immune to the barrage of insults that I heaped on their East Coast heritage after they quit. Truthfully, all the great East Coast players and I were great pals throughout the years, but that don't mean I'd want any of them marrying my sister.
Rave on, Grady and don't let ego trick you into falling for one of those NY traps.
And a race to 1000 points? Gosh, Steve, that's really looking to lock things up. Does Grady have to flunk a physical too?

Last edited:

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
I for one thought your post was very funny Freddie...and I can sympathize with you quite a bit on the ZERO gamble type of people. I got a few around here that like to woof...but when you throw a few hundred out on the table and say "Let's get it on" they run like a nun to a church bingo game.

As far as Grady acknowledging you, well...I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sometimes your rewards in this life are taken up elsewhere if you get my drift. It is amazing how a person always seems to get whats coming to them though.

JMO,
Shorty

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Good line

Good line

Shorty said:
I for one thought your post was very funny Freddie...and I can sympathize with you quite a bit on the ZERO gamble type of people. I got a few around here that like to woof...but when you throw a few hundred out on the table and say "Let's get it on" they run like a nun to a church bingo game.

As far as Grady acknowledging you, well...I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sometimes your rewards in this life are taken up elsewhere if you get my drift. It is amazing how a person always seems to get whats coming to them though.

JMO,
Shorty

I love that "run like a nun" line, and I promise to steal it.
the Beard

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
fred bentivegna
Verified Member

No appreciation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fred sed:
This post has nothing to do with this thread, but its a good place to vent my frustration. I put this up on AZforums re a post by a New Yorker to Grady, offering to stake John Schmidt, or Tony Robles, or another monster against Grady in a 1000 point straight match for 25k

I know just how you feel Fred. I put up a toungue-in-cheek post in that same thread about dreaming about Grady doing 1,000 situps, in hopes that Steven P. might put one of his players in the box against Grady doing sit ups.
Many people do not know that Grady's execise regimen included doing 1,000 sit ups and I thought for sure that he would 'get the cheeeeese'.
Doug
( but alas, no bites )

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
where is Jeff Carter now?

where is Jeff Carter now?

I was talking to a guy at Hard Times in LA who played pool in Beloit Wisconsin with Jeff Carter in High School. He wondered where Jeff is now. Anyone know?

Carla J. Johnson

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
What bothered my ego was the lack or response to my post. I thought it was one of the most sarcastic/funniest post I had ever done.
Well you sure broke me up on that one, Freddie. I sat there and howled. As a matter of fact it should be on the short list for funniests posts of 2007!

Doc

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
gulfportdoc said:
Well you sure broke me up on that one, Freddie. I sat there and howled. As a matter of fact it should be on the short list for funniests posts of 2007!

Doc

Me too, Beard. Very funny. Got the shirt. Love it. It even fits well. It will be pimped in as many rooms as I can get to in the near future. I thank you, sir.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
fred bentivegna said:
This post has nothing to do with this thread, but its a good place to vent my frustration. I put this up on AZforums re a post by a New Yorker to Grady, offering to stake John Schmidt, or Tony Robles, or another monster against Grady in a 1000 point straight match for 25k. The guy's "daring" offer inspired this response from me. What bothered my ego was the lack or response to my post. I thought it was one of the most sarcastic/funniest post I had ever done. I thought that I would at least get a few East Coasters mad. Nothing even from Grady, who I was defending on the forums for about the tenth time without one single acknowledgement for my support for the old guard. Come to think of it, I dont recall any post of his where he deigned to even mention me by name in any capacity. We do know each other, really. Are my feelings hurt? Yeah, maybe a little.

the Beard

Originally Posted by freddy the beard on AZ forums
I can't pass up this opportunity to comment on what we used to call a "New York Gamble," which was no gamble at all. After Jersey Red, Boston Shorty, Irvolino, Richie Ambrose etc. left NYC, in order to get a pool bet in NY your body had to be decomposing. When I was on the road in NYC, I got zero money games. Zero. Me. I've been know to get action in the game room at the Sistine Chapel. I was in McGirrs one night, practicing on the main table. A hustler walked up to me and asked me if I played 1pkt. I said yes. He asked me if I wanted to play for $10 a game. I said yes. He said, "Ha Ha, see you later." and walked away. Steve, your offer to back young 300 ball runners against someone on social security sounds strangely nostalgic.
So that all the Jersey guys dont feel left out, your gamble quotient was probably about 5% higher than NYC, and that did include Allen Hopkins, who when I played him bank pool in Chicago, swore he would play me for days (while he had me stuck), but when I raised the bet and got even, he hopped like Bugs Bunny. He and his backer were even amazingly immune to the barrage of insults that I heaped on their East Coast heritage after they quit. Truthfully, all the great East Coast players and I were great pals throughout the years, but that don't mean I'd want any of them marrying my sister.
Rave on, Grady and don't let ego trick you into falling for one of those NY traps.
And a race to 1000 points? Gosh, Steve, that's really looking to lock things up. Does Grady have to flunk a physical too?
Freddie how did I miss this at AZB this is hilarious. Dont worry about Grady he's not making any new friends with his post about Hopkins' tourney and don't let the lack of attention to this post bother you, for those who haven't read or responded it's their loss. As far as getting even with Hopkins let's face it you sent many a player home with their tail between their legs. Phil Welch

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Chicago Billiard Cafe

Chicago Billiard Cafe

philwelch said:
Freddie how did I miss this at AZB this is hilarious. Dont worry about Grady he's not making any new friends with his post about Hopkins' tourney and don't let the lack of attention to this post bother you, for those who haven't read or responded it's their loss. As far as getting even with Hopkins let's face it you sent many a player home with their tail between their legs. Phil Welch

I was playing Hopkins on table 9 at the Billiard Cafe. You may have been there that night, Phil. He and his backer were giggling at me because I was dogging it so bad. My son, Dino was there that night, he was about 12yrs old then, and he was watching the game. It was bad enough to be playing that bad, but to be humiliated in front of my son was overkill. I finally made a commitment, nobody from Jersey was going to beat me playing banks in my own joint, world champion or not. I was a million games loser (we were playing 9ball banks) so I tripled the bet, and increased the "oil" level to the point where it was leaking on the floor. I finally got to banking "five and outs," and it was at that point that the Jersey boys said they had a plane to catch. Leave they did, under a torrent of insults, never to return.

the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Shorty said:
Forgive my ignorance Freddie...or I should say my green behind the gills...but what is increasing the "oil"?

Shorty
Cranking up the safety pressure -- correct me if I am wrong, Freddy :)

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
fred bentivegna said:
I was playing Hopkins on table 9 at the Billiard Cafe. You may have been there that night, Phil. He and his backer were giggling at me because I was dogging it so bad. My son, Dino was there that night, he was about 12yrs old then, and he was watching the game. It was bad enough to be playing that bad, but to be humiliated in front of my son was overkill. I finally made a commitment, nobody from Jersey was going to beat me playing banks in my own joint, world champion or not. I was a million games loser (we were playing 9ball banks) so I tripled the bet, and increased the "oil" level to the point where it was leaking on the floor. I finally got to banking "five and outs," and it was at that point that the Jersey boys said they had a plane to catch. Leave they did, under a torrent of insults, never to return.

the Beard
Fred I'm sure I was there I didn't miss many big matches and regardless of who you matched up with it was always entertaining and chocked with lots of deep philosophical banter. Okay that may be an overstatement but it was always a pleasure to sweat your action whether it was Efren, Strawberry or Bugs. That was great era of pool for me the Chgo Billiard Cafe had it going on. I often wonder if it can ever be as good as it was then. Phil