Name That Player

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
jay helfert said:
What do I know? Of course I knew James couldn't beat Greg Stevens, but no one else could either. That is until he was awake for three days. :)
I would say the Sniper would have been ranked about 6th or 7th (in Texas) back then Jay...Maybe first for "cautious"...drop him to 106th for "gamble"...;)

He is an OK guy though, we've been friends since he was a pup in Corpus.
 
Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
532
SJDinPHX said:
I would say the Sniper would have been ranked about 6th or 7th (in Texas) back then Jay...Maybe first for "cautious"...drop him to 106th for "gamble"...;)

He is an OK guy though, we've been friends since he was a pup in Corpus.
That would put him a couple of notches ahead of me in the cautious department. I wasn't into taking too many chances back then, although I played many strangers. I was usually carrying my total net worth in my pocket, and I didn't like sleeping in the car. :)
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Remembered

Remembered

(I tried to just add a paragraph that explained my remembering a player I was trying to think of, but I was forced to repost the whole dam thing. The bottom paragraph is the new post)


Originally Posted by MARK..HOU TX
Fred.. Did you ever play some the Houston guys besides Jersey Red..Jeff (Tall Jeff) Sparks, John (Duke) Dowell, Keith (Squirrel) Thompson, FlyBoy..I believe Squirrel won the Johnson City All Around 72 or 73..not sure and also James (The Sniper) Christopher)

I dont remember everything about my foray into LeCue in Houston. Jeff Sparks rings a bell but I dont know if we played. I remember Duke being in there. Dont remember if we played. I played Greg Stevens, but never got down with Jersey Red. We were probably too friendly.

In 72 Keith Thompson and I played daily at Johnston City. I was giving him a ball playing one pocket and took the 7 playing 9 ball. He won the all around playing with my cue stick. Lot of sets with Flyboy playing him 9 to 7. Didnt do very well. Played the Sniper in Hot Springs and Detroit. Played him 9 to 8. Won pretty good $ off him in Detroit, even tho he was not too famous for going off, as you probably know.

Played a Texican onepocket player from Amarillo in Hot Springs for big money. His first name was Richie. I been trying to remember the last name. He was a pretty good player. He played in Banana's pool room.

Of course I played with Steve the Lizard Smith and UJ Puckett. (Hot Springs AR) Two more Texas boys.

Plenty of pool players in Texas.

Beard


Just remembered who that player from Amarillo was after reading Jay's report on the Eddie Kelly/Cornbread match (the one that was professionally touched up by CaliRed). Been trying to think of his name for years. His first name wasnt Richie, it was Jerry. Jerry Prado. Jay mentions him in the article, he knocked Ronnie out of the tourn. My "beat list" groupies will be pleased to know that Jerry will be inducted today. He was a pretty good player, maybe a little over me, but I pushed him a little out of his comfort zone (we were betting $600 a game). Giant stakes for the early 90s. He won zero games.
Now just to show what a sporting treat I could be back then, after finding out his speed, I ran into him again later and he wanted a rematch (but only for $200 a game). I refused and asked for a ball. I told him he had his chance and he blew it.

Beard
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
=fred bentivegna
My "beat list" groupies will be pleased to know that Jerry will be inducted today.
Beard
Mr. Beard sir,...Probably just a typo, but shouldn't "groupies" be singular, instead of plural...yuk, yuk, yuk..:p :p :p

PS...No big deal, But Andy Olguin is from Amarillo...unless I'm mistaken, Jerry Prado is from El Paso...Jerry probably wanted you to think he was Andy. Pretty good gap in 1P player level there.
 
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
How inconsiderate of me...

How inconsiderate of me...

SJDinPHX said:
Mr. Beard sir,...Probably just a typo, but shouldn't "groupies" be singular, instead of plural...yuk, yuk, yuk..:p :p :p

PS...No big deal, But Andy Olguin is from Amarillo...unless I'm mistaken, Jerry Prado is from El Paso...Jerry probably wanted you to think he was Andy. Pretty good gap in 1P player level there.
I almost forgot to invite you to the beat list induction ceremony. Here you go, just clik on the link and scroll down apiece.

http://www.bankingwiththebeard.com/?page_id=14

Dont know Andy Olguin. But Jerry told me he hung in Banana's poolroom in Amarillo. His was probably laying a trap, but the trap failed to close because I raised it from $100 a game (where he was running out) to $600 a game. I think Steve the Lizard Smith steered him into me.

Beard

Young, future hustlers take note. If you want to change the tide of the game, doubling the bet doesnt always do it. Triple or quadruple it and all the previous momentum stops cold.
 
Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,149
fred bentivegna said:
I almost forgot to invite you to the beat list induction ceremony. Here you go, just clik on the link and scroll down apiece.

http://www.bankingwiththebeard.com/?page_id=14

Dont know Andy Olguin. But Jerry told me he hung in Banana's poolroom in Amarillo. His was probably laying a trap, but the trap failed to close because I raised it from $100 a game (where he was running out) to $600 a game. I think Steve the Lizard Smith steered him into me.

Beard

Young, future hustlers take note. If you want to change the tide of the game, doubling the bet doesnt always do it. Triple or quadruple it and all the previous momentum stops cold.
The only Bananas pool hall I know of was and still is in San Antonio. Didn't know there was one in Amarillo.

Skin
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Maybe the Duck is right

Maybe the Duck is right

Skin said:
The only Bananas pool hall I know of was and still is in San Antonio. Didn't know there was one in Amarillo.

Skin
I am getting confused. Amarillo, Sasparillo. I got it mixed up. San Antonio is starting to filter back into my brain. The thing I am sure of is that it was the poolroom that Frank Banana's Rodriquez used to own. (I have never been in it.) Thats what I am sure of. Reason: Bananas hung out at the Congress Bowl in Miami where I used to spend the winters in the 60s and Jerry Prado and I talked a little about him.
Now that I think about it a little more, I went thru Amarillo with Sugar Shack Johnny and Ronnie Sypher on the way to the Stardust in Vegas in 70 or 71. If Banana's pool room would have been there I would certainly have stopped in.


Beard
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,532
[QUOTE
Played a Texican onepocket player from Amarillo in Hot Springs for big money. His first name was Richie. I been trying to remember the last name. He was a pretty good player. He played in Banana's pool room.


Just remembered who that player from Amarillo was after reading Jay's report on the Eddie Kelly/Cornbread match (the one that was professionally touched up by CaliRed). Been trying to think of his name for years. His first name wasnt Richie, it was Jerry. Jerry Prado. Jay mentions him in the article, he knocked Ronnie out of the tourn. My "beat list" groupies will be pleased to know that Jerry will be inducted today. He was a pretty good player, maybe a little over me, but I pushed him a little out of his comfort zone (we were betting $600 a game).
Beard[/QUOTE]

Beard, Jerry is on my beat list too, but only for his last $100 when he was coming through San Jose. Does that count?

Hope you get your eye fixed and I get a chance to be on that list.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
fred bentivegna said:
I am getting confused. Amarillo, Sasparillo. I got it mixed up. San Antonio is starting to filter back into my brain. The thing I am sure of is that it was the poolroom that Frank Banana's Rodriquez used to own. (I have never been in it.) Thats what I am sure of. Reason: Bananas hung out at the Congress Bowl in Miami where I used to spend the winters in the 60s and Jerry Prado and I talked a little about him.
Now that I think about it a little more, I went thru Amarillo with Sugar Shack Johnny and Ronnie Sypher on the way to the Stardust in Vegas in 70 or 71. If Banana's pool room would have been there I would certainly have stopped in.


Beard
Yes Freddy, Amarillo is on old rte. 66, (I-40)... headed West to Vegas or LA... I'm sure Mr.3C could straighten out all your confusion, if he would just butt in again ...He knows everything about everybody..;)

PS..He even knows a few broke (probably dead) card mechanics in Detroit...He apparently doesn't know, there are more top notch card men in Texas, and Oklahoma...than the rest of the world combined.:rolleyes:

PPS..Frank's poolroom was in San Antonio. (way out of your way)... But if you had stopped, more than to take a leak (sound familiar)...you would have gotten big action in Lubbock or Amarillo...(Slim Preston would have called moi)...Maybe I would have made, "the famous list"...:cool: :cool: :D
 
Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,131
jrhendy said:
Beard, Jerry is on my beat list too, but only for his last $100 when he was coming through San Jose. Does that count?

Hope you get your eye fixed and I get a chance to be on that list.
That's how inane Beat lists are. I've not only beaten him I've spotted him. LOL
as well as many other name players. To mention them would take too much space and be stupid also. ;)
Rod.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
It all counts

It all counts

jrhendy said:
Beard, Jerry is on my beat list too, but only for his last $100 when he was coming through San Jose. Does that count?

Hope you get your eye fixed and I get a chance to be on that list.
If one discounted all the wins one accumulated when one had "advantages," ones beat list would be very short.

Beard

Going to the Doc friday to set the date for the eyeball finale. Keep your fingers crossed --- that it doesnt work. When I am in stroke I am much more abusive than I am on internet forums. You dont want to see me in stroke.

Beard
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Hmm

Hmm

androd said:
That's how inane Beat lists are. I've not only beaten him I've spotted him. LOL
as well as many other name players. To mention them would take too much space and be stupid also. ;)
Rod.

That has a familiar ring to it.

Beard
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
androd said:
That's how inane Beat lists are. I've not only beaten him I've spotted him. LOL
as well as many other name players. To mention them would take too much space and be stupid also. ;)
Rod.
Rodny,...I am shocked...Are you sure you're not from Chicago ??? (check your birth certificate to be sure)..:cool: :cool: :cool:
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
8,701
SJDinPHX said:
Mr. Beard sir,...Probably just a typo, but shouldn't "groupies" be singular, instead of plural...yuk, yuk, yuk..:p :p :p

PS...No big deal, But Andy Olguin is from Amarillo...unless I'm mistaken, Jerry Prado is from El Paso...Jerry probably wanted you to think he was Andy. Pretty good gap in 1P player level there.

Freddy.....Papie's recent post, that I have copied above, clearly and degradingly, breaks his promise of not needling and belittling you anymore....regrettably, your wrist has been somewhat limp on the keyboard in acknowledging and responding to this...please man up and shoot him down - and the Steamed San Jose Lobster avatar must go back up immediately....:cool:


- Ghosty<---------would never dream of holding up a lit match near dry tinder....:D
 

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,131
SJDinPHX said:
Rodny,...I am shocked...Are you sure you're not from Chicago ??? (check your birth certificate to be sure)..:cool: :cool:
DUCK, I've got a long mental list of players too young and inexperienced to compete and too old and over the hill to win, who later or earlier, whichever the case, would've kicked my ass. ;)
You probably have such a list yo'self. :)


Rod.
PS, My birth certificate is hard to read, It's on papyrus. :D as you well know.
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,532
fred bentivegna said:
If one discounted all the wins one accumulated when one had "advantages," ones beat list would be very short.

Beard

Going to the Doc friday to set the date for the eyeball finale. Keep your fingers crossed --- that it doesnt work. When I am in stroke I am much more abusive than I am on internet forums. You dont want to see me in stroke.

Beard
I am hoping it works and you get in stroke.

I have been stalling with you Chicago guys too long and will unleash it at The Derby.
 

mr3cushion

Suspended
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
6,062
SJDinPHX said:
Yes Freddy, Amarillo is on old rte. 66, (I-40)... headed West to Vegas or LA... I'm sure Mr.3C could straighten out all your confusion, if he would just butt in again ...He knows everything about everybody..;)

PS..He even knows a few broke (probably dead) card mechanics in Detroit...He apparently doesn't know, there are more top notch card men in Texas, and Oklahoma...than the rest of the world combined.:rolleyes:

PPS..Frank's poolroom was in San Antonio. (way out of your way)... But if you had stopped, more than to take a leak (sound familiar)...you would have gotten big action in Lubbock or Amarillo...(Slim Preston would have called moi)...Maybe I would have made, "the famous list"...:cool: :cool: :D
SJD; All can say, is anybody that ever hooked up with me to make money doing what ever, DID. They NEVER had to carry a LUNCH PAIL to work. We all had way to much abillity in many areas to have to resort to the ultimate insult for a SO CALLED top player!

Just imagine with my 100 year old NICHE game through out the last 40 yrs I supported 2 families and 3 daughters without having to succumb to filling out an application for UPS, I must be pretty lucky and NO talent to avoid such a mundane existence. You know, now that I think about it, I really can't fault you for crawling into a YJ bottle for the majority of your life. The thought of what could have been would have depressed me too. But to take your personal dissappointments out on others on this forum who feel proud of thier accomplishments in the pool world, speaks for its self.

So this is the legacy you leave to the faceless cybernet, a dipiction of a bitter, recentful, jealous, super-senior who can't cope with the fact that his skills have deteriated to the level of a D+ player. Honestly, (no sarcasm), I feel sorry for you.

It's a shame that every encounter on this forum with you, when certain posters voice thier views, you feel the need to attack them PERSONALY! I hope when my time comes that my skills are too diminished to not my satisfaction, I won't resort to wasting time on a forum berrating others, I'll try to educate new players or old on some of the knowledge I've gained throughout the years, some people DO try to do this on this forum!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. This wasn't easy for me to write, but, you've had it coming for a LOOOONGGGG time.

SJD; If I'm there this year I'll try ya a little of that "Heads Up" Texas Holdem, say we freeze up $2,000.00, $10, $20 blinds. OBTW, I didn't stutter.

P.P.S.S. Remember, ALL this started just by me simply asking you to GAMBLE!
 
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Stalling?

Stalling?

jrhendy said:
I am hoping it works and you get in stroke.

I have been stalling with you Chicago guys too long and will unleash it at The Derby.
What makes you think that you are the only guy stalling? I have never come off the lemon. You notice that few people give me credit for having ever being able to play. That observation was always intended to be intentional on my part.

Beard
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
3,309
Freddie, I have noticed a number or regular posters here who have not yet qualified for your beat list. Just as a gesture of good will toward those who are now your friends, couldn't there be an honorary beat list for them? Just asking . . .:rolleyes: I can see it now; Duck, the honorary beatnik!
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Not my fault

Not my fault

vapros said:
Freddie, I have noticed a number or regular posters here who have not yet qualified for your beat list. Just as a gesture of good will toward those who are now your friends, couldn't there be an honorary beat list for them? Just asking . . .:rolleyes: I can see it now; Duck, the honorary beatnik!
It's certainly not my fault. But I did leave a whole lot of shortstops off. If at DCC I manage to play and beat a 75 year old SJD, do you think I would be petty enough to add his name? I purposely didnt put the Ghost on there because he is always on the stall. I was even discouraged from pointing out his real name for 3 years on here. I still never use it.

Beard

Harry Platis didnt make the cut
 
Last edited:
Top