Name That Player

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
467
jay helfert said:
Jimmy Cattrano I believe is the correct spelling. He died about 10-15 years ago and was not that old, maybe early 50's. He was a very good 14.1 player (who wasn't in New York) but his best game was certainly Three Cushions. He played with the best U.S. players and won a few titles. He seemed to lose interest in competing early on though, and wasn't seen to often at U.S. Championships.

I think he busied himself running his family poolroom.

The only thing I would like to add to that marvelously accurate description is he was actually Jimmy Cattrano Jr. His dad was also a somewhat renowned 3 cushion player.
Jimmy was sort of like a "lower level" Boston Shorty, in that he was equally proficient in both 3 cushion and pockets.
 

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2004
Messages
404
Moderation...

Moderation...

I've pruned off the recent Jeremy Jones vs Freddy's list discussion because:

1/ The subject had really changed from Freddy's intent
2/ The tone was getting a little out of hand

The recent posts are not deleted, they are just relocated to a new thread entitled Jeremy Jones vs Freddy's list which can be found in the Member's Forum

Thank you for your understanding!
 
Last edited:

roo7227

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
51
No Hard Feelings.. Let Me Give You Some $$$..

No Hard Feelings.. Let Me Give You Some $$$..

Send me a copy, Beard.. I don't know anything about bankpool..

jacob_jones72@hotmail.com

Let me know where to send the check.. Thanks..


Edit: There's an underscore inbetween jacob and jones that's tough to see.. Thanks again..
 
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,529
roo7227 said:
Send me a copy, Beard.. I don't know anything about bankpool..

jacob_jones72@hotmail.com

Let me know where to send the check.. Thanks..


Edit: There's an underscore inbetween jacob and jones that's tough to see.. Thanks again..
Well, Freddy, that has to be your toughest sell yet, but you got the sale -- kind of like a three day marathon ten ahead race :)

A tip of my hat to both of you :)
 

Snookerd

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
5
Few Players around my area

Few Players around my area

Hey Beard!! just wanted to drop a few names to see if you remember them or ever played them. Don't know nicknames but "Tim Joseph" "Jimmy Dawson" " Chase McAllister" Right now Tim and Chase reside in Idaho and I know Tim was down in the south when he was younger and had a nickname but cant remember it, Jimmy Dawson passed a way some time ago and they have an annual "Jimmy Dawson Memorial" in Pocatello Idaho that draws quite a few good players, The Canucks and wash utah and montana idaho players. I here that jimmy was quite the player. Thanks to "THE BEARD" for starting such a great and interesting thread!!
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
No, I dont know those guys

No, I dont know those guys

Snookerd said:
Hey Beard!! just wanted to drop a few names to see if you remember them or ever played them. Don't know nicknames but "Tim Joseph" "Jimmy Dawson" " Chase McAllister" Right now Tim and Chase reside in Idaho and I know Tim was down in the south when he was younger and had a nickname but cant remember it, Jimmy Dawson passed a way some time ago and they have an annual "Jimmy Dawson Memorial" in Pocatello Idaho that draws quite a few good players, The Canucks and wash utah and montana idaho players. I here that jimmy was quite the player. Thanks to "THE BEARD" for starting such a great and interesting thread!!
Im glad you enjoyed the thread, but I dont know those guys.

the Beard
 

JoeSantos

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
6
fred bentivegna said:
Jay, that guy in the background is definitely not Benny the Goose Conway Sr.
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose. How much would you pay for Stigall's hair? Does he still have it?

the Beard

Congratulations, you are the second chap to win a Banking With The Beard T-Shirt along with Terry Ardeno. I assume Large would be ok?
You are correct. The player in the background is not Benny "The Goose" Conway. The person looking on was a local player with a modicum of talent from the Pinellas County area name Barry Couzart. I used to work for Bill during the UBA days.

Thanks,

Joe.
 

JoeSantos

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
6
The guy in the second picture down with the stripes that run across the shoulders was a local player named Pete Monteleone. I am 1000 % sure. If I can remember the others, I'll let you all know.


Joe
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
Yes, you are right, Joe. It is Pete Monteleon. This photo is very interesting from the same 1980 FL open which was held in Tampa, FL. The reason I now know is that a local Jackson, player, Bobby Headrick is in one of the photos and was there with Hubbart and Sigel. Note sitting behind Louie Roberts is Denny Searcy, God rest his soul. This is a link to the memorial video I made to Bill Johnston who sent me the photos. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2561497012766450469&hl=en
 
Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
You might recognize the very young David Blackjack Sapolis watching Louie in this photo.
 

JoeSantos

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
6
Can you post more pictures. I love the pictures of Bakers back in the 70's an d 80's. All my friends played there. Jimmy R, Danny R., Gravedigger, Tony E., Jessee S. What memories....especially now that Bakers is closed down and will never exist again, it seems important.


Joe.
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
Bobby "Locksmith" Headrick

Bobby "Locksmith" Headrick

JoeSantos said:
Can you post more pictures. I love the pictures of Bakers back in the 70's an d 80's. All my friends played there. Jimmy R, Danny R., Gravedigger, Tony E., Jessee S. What memories....especially now that Bakers is closed down and will never exist again, it seems important.


Joe.
Standing behind Larry Hubbart is his southern running mate, Bobby "The Locksmith" Headrick.
 

Bill

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
287
Terry Ardeno said:
Freddie,
Just in time! I was going to order The GosPool and send a photo for you to autograph for me like I did when I ordered BWTB.
How about Don Willis, Al Coslosky, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter, "Cuban Joe" Valdez,Richie "Memhis Flash" Austin, Hubert Cokes, Charlie Brinson, Monroe Brock, Charlie Devalliere, Willie Munson, Dallas West, Pete Margo, Jim Rempe,
Norman Hitchcock, George "Rotation Slim" Hairston, Jimmy Fusco, Mike Carella,Clyde Childress, Benny "The Goose" Conway, Richie Florence, John Hagar, Dave "Super Dave" Williams, Frank McGown, Howard Vickery, Alvin "Titanic Thompson" Thomas, Johnny "Johnny Irish" Lineen, Johnny Vives, Johnny Ervolino, Bill Dunsmore, Ismael "Morro" Paez, Cliff Joyner, Ronnie Wiseman, Danny Medina, Edgar "Shake N Bake" White, Earl Herring, Jay Helfert, Bob Vanover, Seth "Buttermilk" Brown, Ernesto Dominguez, Jimmy Marino, "San Jose" Dick Moran, Jack Colavita, Keith Thompson, Steve Cook, C.J. Wiley, Dave Bollman, Bill Stigall, Don Steele, Howie Pearl, Frank Tullos, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, U.J. Puckett, Harold Worst, Boston Shorty Larry Johnson, Mike Eufemia, Joe Canton, Glen Womack, Jay Swanson, George Rood, Earl Heisler, Earl Shriver, Nick Vlahos, Dick Lane, Larry Hubbart, Larry Price, James Walden, "King Kong" Cahvez, Bill Stephen, Mike Massey, James Evans.
I'll add some more later. I'm going to be late picking up the kids.
Many thanks for including my name amongst such fine players :) ... and you spelled it correctly

Billy
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
This is another photo of Bobby "Locksmith" Headrick and Larry Hubbart with their ladies in the Greenway in Baton Rouge, circa late 70s.
 

mutchnick

New member
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
2
Hi Beard,

From Philadelphia

How about Harry Petros? He was a high stakes gambler that was killed and found in he trunk of a car.

Stevie "Wonder" Dobrowlski I staked him for years. He was on the road in the eighties. You would remember him due to his attitude problem. Played a ball under Jimmy Fusco in one pocket, about Pete Fusco's speed.

Corvette Scott

PS - This is an awesome thread!
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
The Deaf Mute story

The Deaf Mute story

mutchnick said:
Hi Beard,

From Philadelphia

How about Harry Petros? He was a high stakes gambler that was killed and found in he trunk of a car.

Stevie "Wonder" Dobrowlski I staked him for years. He was on the road in the eighties. You would remember him due to his attitude problem. Played a ball under Jimmy Fusco in one pocket, about Pete Fusco's speed.

Corvette Scott

PS - This is an awesome thread!
There is a great story about Harry Petros when he got trapped by Boston Shorty who played the part of a deaf mute. If Shorty would have said anything Harry would have recognized Shorty's deep Boston accent.

the Beard
 

cuesmith

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
137
fred bentivegna said:
Only in a 1pkt tournament in Johnston City in 1972. I ran 8 and out 4 games in a row. I was a 5 to 1 underdog.

the Beard
Damn Freddy! Sounds like you caught a gear that day! Hey, I've got an old buddy of mine who wants to trap you at the Derby this year! Billy Carrelli. Are you interested?

Sherm
 

jay helfert

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
532
cuesmith said:
Damn Freddy! Sounds like you caught a gear that day! Hey, I've got an old buddy of mine who wants to trap you at the Derby this year! Billy Carrelli. Are you interested?

Sherm
Hi Sherm,

Tell Billy I'll bank a few with him. See if he remembers me from Mergards, about a century ago.
 
Top