N. Feijen vs. S. Woodward 2013 Tunica

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Try to bank the 2 ball across.(Hope I don't hit the point or scratch up table).
Maybe saw at the 6 ball depending on the ball count. :)
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
There is no reasonable shot, only a possibly strong safety. Cut the 2 ball thinly into the long rail with left hand english. What you are trying to accomplish is to get the cue ball back to the LEFT side of the foot rail (back where you started). That is the best place to leave the rock as it should then be difficult for your oppo to return the q ball back to the end rail. (Just as it was for you from your original position. You only had the 2 ball to play safe off of. By cutting the 2 ball over to the left side you are hopefully removing his only escape ball. Just visualize the original position, but now the 2 ball is over on the left side)

Beard

Oil is my life.

backplaying

Verified Member
I like Fred's shot on the defense. If I was going to play offence, I would bank the 3 straight back, drawing the cue ball back to the end rail.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I like Fred's shot on the defense. If I was going to play offence, I would bank the 3 straight back, drawing the cue ball back to the end rail.

Yep, if I was going to shoot here, and why wouldn't I, I'd take a whack at the 3 ball too. With the speed you'd be hitting it, it would go safely back downtable if you missed.

cbd's shot.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yep, if I was going to shoot here, and why wouldn't I, I'd take a whack at the 3 ball too. With the speed you'd be hitting it, it would go safely back downtable if you missed.

View attachment 9127

The 3 ball is real easy to mis-hit with the cue ball and scratch directly into the side -- as I have done on this shot countless times. I have even sometimes hit it with a flat ball with rt hand english, in an attempt to send the cue ball under the side pocket in an attempt to beat the scratch a different way and then watched the cue ball come back across and scratch in the other side!

One more danger of taking a "free" straight back with speed and pulling the cue ball to the back rail, is if you hit the shot good, but not good enough, and the ball bubbles in the corner, then staggers out and leaves a cross corner or cross side -- as I have also done countless times.

Beard

For me to bank the 3, I would have to be at least 6 inches closer to the 3 and a little further off of the rail.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The 3 ball is real easy to mis-hit with the cue ball and scratch directly into the side -- as I have done on this shot countless times. I have even sometimes hit it with a flat ball with rt hand english, in an attempt to send the cue ball under the side pocket in an attempt to beat the scratch a different way and then watched the cue ball come back across and scratch in the other side!

One more danger of taking a "free" straight back with speed and pulling the cue ball to the back rail, is if you hit the shot good, but not good enough, and the ball bubbles in the corner, then staggers out and leaves a cross corner or cross side -- as I have also done countless times.

Beard

For me to bank the 3, I would have to be at least 6 inches closer to the 3 and a little further off of the rail.

I know it ain't no sweet peach:p but I'd just be mostly playing the cueball. That scratch in the side is big, I've done it myself enough times.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Being down 3-0 must have put Woodward in a shootin' mood. He cranked the 6 ball straight-back like it had eyes:eek:.

View attachment 9128

He left it here:

View attachment 9129

As per usual sometimes with these diagrams, it aint always easy to see what goes or dont go. Looking at the results tho, being down 3 zip, and the fact that he can cue the whole cue ball even tho the side of the cue ball is on the rail, I could certainly consider the straight back option (if I was feeling relatively good) he took. However, I would not have pulled the cue ball back like he did. I would have stayed there for the cross side and a chance, with the way the balls were laying, to bank on all the way out.

Yeah, his oppo could easily get his two if I missed, but I would have a chance at five. Not bad percentages.

To repeat, if I was going to shoot, I would go for the shot he took rather than banking it under me. His shot was a much higher percentage to go.

Beard

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
However, I would not have pulled the cue ball back like he did. I would have stayed there for the cross side and a chance, with the way the balls were laying, to bank on all the way out.

He may have just over stroked it. He's still in a great position to bank the 1 straight back, then the 3 cross side, go back down table to try to get on the 2 then one of the last two balls.