Mythbusters? Efren's solution.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Here is a diagram about a story I heard. Supposedly Efren was playing and the opponent needed one ball and Efren needed one ball and the opponent's ball was buried in his pocket and Efren was corner hooked with cue ball in his own pocket.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BYfQ4Palp4kalp4kATX4kATY4qYvTEfren's_Pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

As the story goes Efren rolled out to the foot spot and took a foul. When the foul ball spotted then it froze to the cueball denying the opponent the out shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BYfQ4EAcm4PAcV4kAcV4kAcW4kAcW4qYvTEfren's_Pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Reportedly Efren went on to win the game from there.

Can anyone verify this story? To me it sounds like something Efren would come up with but I'd still like to know if it's true.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I have heard this legendary story too and supposedly the person who told me said they saw it, takes perfect speed and cue ball control which Efren certainly has. :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Efren must have figured he had about a three inch margin of error and a pretty good chance that he could fall in that area. I tried this at home with virtually no success; it's definitely not in my skill kit. I need to take the scratch right there within the pocket and hope my opponent does too -- then either kick one rail or three rails at his ball. If my opponent plays along, lol.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Efren must have figured he had about a three inch margin of error and a pretty good chance that he could fall in that area. I tried this at home with virtually no success; it's definitely not in my skill kit. I need to take the scratch right there within the pocket and hope my opponent does too -- then either kick one rail or three rails at his ball. If my opponent plays along, lol.

I tried it too and could get the ball right about 2x out of 20. I think that taking a scratch in your pocket won't do a lot of good as the opponent will just kick at his hanging ball.

Since hearing about this shot though I did practice my lagging to short distances to improve my speed control for when those types of shots come up.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The way the 2-ball is laying, I'd have more confridence with a 3-rail kick to one side or the other of the 2-ball, to try to dig out the ball.

If the story is true, then Efren probably felt that he had better control by lagging the CB to the spot. Evidently he did...;) Frankly I'd never have thought of that move!

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
The way the 2-ball is laying, I'd have more confridence with a 3-rail kick to one side or the other of the 2-ball, to try to dig out the ball.

If the story is true, then Efren probably felt that he had better control by lagging the CB to the spot. Evidently he did...;) Frankly I'd never have thought of that move!

Doc

The shot you people are saying is a very poor shot and he will aoutomatickly loose the game 7 out off 10 times shooying that shot. Iys a very poor shot unless the balls were in a different position.

The correct shot is kixking the cue ball one rail behind the wo ball.Witch a player should succed 9 out off ten times.

Without leaving a shot. That is the shot. WAy over even kicking the cue ball 3 rails.

The way to prove this id shoot all three shots 30 times and you will see the resulte.

And I will take my shot against any other shoot and see who wins from thier both players shooting from the same starting position 10 times.

And another shot that would be better then kicking three rails or shooting the cue ball to the shot is. Just take a scratch wright thier.

All the other player can do is take a scratch back then he ows two balls. Or he can shoot the ball on the spot and let you out off the trap.

Why shoot the cue ball too the spot and giving your opponent a free shot to win If doesnt get the cue ball thier.

And It he gets the cue ball thier he is in the same position as if you take the fowle in the corner pocket. And you dont take a free chance too loose the game.

Taking the scratch in the corner pocket is way better Then taking a risk on a shot too loose the game aoutomatickly.

BUt the correct shot is kicking the cue ball one rail. And you have a great angle.

The worst shot is rooling the cue ball too the spot. I hope everyone can see that no.

But on all these shots. From my first posts.

You have to THink Think Ahead off time and figure it out. If you dont think ahead what will happen after you shot your shot. You will not get smarter and you will not lear how too think correctly. Or improve youre thinking.

Yhe Key is too think ahead off time. And what will be the resulte off your shot. And if you cant do that then I sugjest you learn. If you want too improve.

And take your thinking too a higher levele. Not just your shooting and aggresive shooting. THat is not how you improve.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I have tried similar shots to my utter dismay. I find that executing that is just hit or miss. maybe 1/2 the time it works but you make no money at 50/50.

The way the ball lays just soft kick it long.

If Efren won from there I suspect the 2 ball was positioned a tad differently.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
The shot you people are saying is a very poor shot and he will aoutomatickly loose the game 7 out off 10 times shooying that shot. Iys a very poor shot unless the balls were in a different position.

The correct shot is kixking the cue ball one rail behind the wo ball.Witch a player should succed 9 out off ten times.

Without leaving a shot. That is the shot. WAy over even kicking the cue ball 3 rails.

The way to prove this id shoot all three shots 30 times and you will see the resulte.

And I will take my shot against any other shoot and see who wins from thier both players shooting from the same starting position 10 times.

And another shot that would be better then kicking three rails or shooting the cue ball to the shot is. Just take a scratch wright thier.

All the other player can do is take a scratch back then he ows two balls. Or he can shoot the ball on the spot and let you out off the trap.

Why shoot the cue ball too the spot and giving your opponent a free shot to win If doesnt get the cue ball thier.

And It he gets the cue ball thier he is in the same position as if you take the fowle in the corner pocket. And you dont take a free chance too loose the game.

Taking the scratch in the corner pocket is way better Then taking a risk on a shot too loose the game aoutomatickly.

BUt the correct shot is kicking the cue ball one rail. And you have a great angle.

The worst shot is rooling the cue ball too the spot. I hope everyone can see that no.

But on all these shots. From my first posts.

You have to THink Think Ahead off time and figure it out. If you dont think ahead what will happen after you shot your shot. You will not get smarter and you will not lear how too think correctly. Or improve youre thinking.

Yhe Key is too think ahead off time. And what will be the resulte off your shot. And if you cant do that then I sugjest you learn. If you want too improve.

And take your thinking too a higher levele. Not just your shooting and aggresive shooting. THat is not how you improve.

Why would you take a chance and role the cue ball too the spoy. When you can take a foul and scratch wright in the saME CORNER WERE YOU ARE.

mosconiac

Verified Member
I can't see how he got anywhere...are we assuming the resulting position is a trap? Maybe if the 2B favored the short rail, not the long rail.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BYfQ4EAcm4PAcV4kAcV2kNdh3kbAy3kYFy4qYvTEfren's_Pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
mosconiac said:
I can't see how he got anywhere...are we assuming the resulting position is a trap? Maybe if the 2B favored the short rail, not the long rail.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BYfQ4EAcm4PAcV4kAcV2kNdh3kbAy3kYFy4qYvTEfren's_Pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Its a complete silly and dumb shot. And its hard for me to belive that Eferine would shot a shot like that. Unless thier is more too the shot then what we can see. It is a completly redicoulous shot.

And I couldnt shoot that shot if I was Dumping my backer.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Its a complete silly and dumb shot. And its hard for me to belive that Eferine would shot a shot like that. Unless thier is more too the shot then what we can see. It is a completly redicoulous shot.

And I couldnt shoot that shot if I was Dumping my backer.

Well I received a pm where I was told that Efren did shoot it and it worked BUT that the cueball was in the opponent's pocket along with the object ball and Efren couldnt get it out.

As for taking a foul inside your pocket what prevents the opponent from kicking at the open ball? To me taking a foul inside your own pocket isn't much better as the kick is super easy from there. And if you happen to not corner hook the spotted ball from your foul then the opponent can probably bank that ball to his hole and try to use it to knock in his out ball if he doesn't want to just kick at it.

Also in the PM I was told that the balls were laying differently but that Efren did in fact shoot the shot to the spot. And I was also told that the spot area is indented which means that with the right speed the ball can dip into the indentation and stay there.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
onepocketchump said:
Well I received a pm where I was told that Efren did shoot it and it worked BUT that the cueball was in the opponent's pocket along with the object ball and Efren couldnt get it out.

As for taking a foul inside your pocket what prevents the opponent from kicking at the open ball? To me taking a foul inside your own pocket isn't much better as the kick is super easy from there. And if you happen to not corner hook the spotted ball from your foul then the opponent can probably bank that ball to his hole and try to use it to knock in his out ball if he doesn't want to just kick at it.

Also in the PM I was told that the balls were laying differently but that Efren did in fact shoot the shot to the spot. And I was also told that the spot area is indented which means that with the right speed the ball can dip into the indentation and stay there.

Yes he can kick at the ball he can kick at it were efreine is leaving him too. And if he doesnt get the cue ball close to were he is trying to role the cue ball he is a auto matick looser.

I said my shot would he too kick behind the two ball thats the best shot.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Well.....

Well.....

like I said I got a pm from someone who says that they saw Efren do it. Now maybe the opponent was in shock when he kicked at his out ball if that's what happened and just straight up dogged it. Who knows.

Just a fascinating thought anyway and something to discuss.

Viffer

Verified Member
i mean efferen takes a foul. spots a ball the other guy takes a foul spots a ball eferen slor rolls the guy into jaill using the spotted bals from the fouls sounds more credible to ,e.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Viffer said:
i mean efferen takes a foul. spots a ball the other guy takes a foul spots a ball eferen slor rolls the guy into jaill using the spotted bals from the fouls sounds more credible to ,e.

Careful you're showing some speed here......

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Efren's opponent did not need only 1 ball! I forgot how many, but it was more than one. The balls were laying however, where the guy would get more and get out if he got a shot at the hanging ball.

There was a ball hanging in the opponent's pocket, Efren was corner hooked in the opposite pocket and balls were scattered all over.

What I said was that the in the actual situation the pockets were reversed, (i,e. Efren was hanging in the left pocket).

If the opponent only needed one, then roll shot wouldnt make much sense.

Well, here it is the real story from someone who was there. My anonymous benefactor has corrected me as to what they situation really was. That's all I wanted in the first place.

Thank you, now I can sleep easier knowing the real deal on this mythical shot.

Reminds me of the time I walked into Markley's and I was told that the guys in the corner were playing back pocket 9 ball for $2000 a game. By the time I got back there I found out that they were playing for $50 a game.

mosconiac

Verified Member
Now that we've kinda cleared up that folk story about Efren...how's about this one.

Efren is locked behind the only ball on the table so he masse's off the edge of the ball & plops his opponent right behind the same ball. He turned the table on him. Can anyone corroborate this?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAOk3PCbl4UAOk4UBdl3kCbl3kCSa3kAvL4kBEI4kCSL4kDAT4kDxe4kEOm3qbKNEfren's&Hole&&ZZ4rWbPOpponent's&Hole&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
mosconiac said:
Now that we've kinda cleared up that folk story about Efren...how's about this one.

Efren is locked behind the only ball on the table so he masse's off the edge of the ball & plops his opponent right behind the same ball. He turned the table on him. Can anyone corroborate this?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAOk3PCbl4UAOk4UBdl3kCbl3kCSa3kAvL4kBEI4kCSL4kDAT4kDxe4kEOm3qbKNEfren's&Hole&&ZZ4rWbPOpponent's&Hole&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Yes that can be done I wouldn shoot it because I can put him in aworse position and trying the chot for a nother player is suicde.

Eferine knowes how too shooy those shots and he has learned how too do it. Atraight rail players and balk line players are good at this.

But the Americans havant learned it or practict it. But if the would learn it they could do it too and be good at it.

I do not recomend shooting the shot unless you can executie the shot and do what Eferine does.

Everything people do and is new or different people say Whow but once you learn it its no big deall no mre. Its only a big deal when you dont no..

Like going in a pool room when you are watching a grat player shoot Its all new and you are hypmetized how great they are and how great the game is.

But when you get older and you become a great player now its no longer that special. Because you learned it and you can do it.

And when you were little it was like a magic show.And you got hypmetized by what you seen.

And that goes for anything ew that we see weather we are young or old.

One thing I have learned people have very different opinions and that soes not change with the two same people because the think different. And see thngs different in thier minds.

Everyones mind thinks different. And some people will never agree. Because off how different they think. The are not on the same wave length. Nomatter how either person explains it.

And they will be that way thier whole life not because they are not friends or dont like each other.t
Its all because off how the think and see thev picture and how people
see clearly something different then the other person.

Its they way our brain thinks. And that will not change in eithers persons mind.

But you have to make a decision eitch one is better. Or ask someone that realy knowes the subject and get thier answer.

Because if we dont understand what the person is talking about . How can we say what is correct and what is not correct. WE have too be able to understand both sides.

And if one side is way above what the oher person is saying. They will no be able too understand and comprehend what the other person is saying.

Because the are way above peoples thinking ability. But the only way were people might understand it. Is bring it out in the open and give them a example then they might understand and grasp it.

It is hard for people too think ahead because our minds are not trained that way. And its learning a higher way to think.

And unless you no how too do it. ITs very hard to think that way. BUt by thinking you can soulve any problem.

BUt people have not learned that yet. THey no by talking is a big help. BUt by thinking you can come up with a good or correct amswer.

But without thinking you will only have a spare off the momonye reaction. That is what most people do. They teact they dont think even in pool. The waite tell they are in trouble then they think.

BUt then its too late. You have too think ahead off time. I hiope this helps some people.