My US Open One Pocket

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Well just got back from a great event. Was lucky enough to combine a business trip with a little one pocket.

Day One. Fly in Thursday Morning. Catch some of the banks and watch SVB put on a clinic. Boy has that man improved his banking. Scary strong. Certain shots are just money. He can hit every shot about 3 different ways. His bank game has gotten super strong. Anything shallow bank is pure and home. Supper confident. His opponent in the finals Neal Jacobs is a scary and ultra aggressive prayer. With him no lead is safe but in the end SVB made it look easy.

Draw is made and my first match is against Preacher Ronn.

Day Two. Come in early and hit some balls. Feel jet lagged but super determined to because should I wim I get to play SVB or Jay Helfert. Either way a great opportunity. I have both of Jay's books and well if it has to be SVB even better.

Match1 -Ronn and I go back and forth. He's under the weather and knows more about the game then I could ever hope to. Super tough opponent. Keeps me on my back heals but somehow I get the crucial ball when needed. Score was not indicative of edge in play. Ronn is a good gentlemen and can really make some nice long rail banks from distance.

Match 2. - SVB. He comes in like a rock star. Points at me and says ready. I explain that I just played on this table. Response...I don't care. We lag and I pin one up against the rail (told you I just played on this). Great break...almost perfect. SVB tries an aggressive bank/clearance and tries to bring the rock around 3 rails behind my stuff. Over amps a little. Gives me a free ball. Make 4 or 5 and nurse my lead home. 1-0 NB. He racks and breaks. We jockey back and forth. I break his break and get a small lead. Long game. Makes a super aggressive bank. Bing Bang Bomb. 1-1. Good Break again. Get ahead. Win. 2-1 NB. This time his break is perfect. I make a hero clear out. Turn the table around. He scratches and I get to 7-1. We get into a ticky-tacky little nudge struggle. He leaks out a shot. Super tough long range back cut for the win. Swish...cue ball goes two rails and just trickles into the to top corner. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He makes one of the best run outs I have ever seen. Boom 2-2. Now he goes into beast mode. I keep him penned up for about 30 minutes and then he smokes a straight after straight back with me about to make a bunch of balls...expect he makes them all. Bing Bang Boom. I lose 4-2. I felt like I just wrestled with a Bear. We take a couple of pictures for my son. I think I made him mad. Then he had his way with me. 3 hours in the masters workshop. His game is now a new level. Seeing his cue ball control and thinking up close was impressive.

Day 3. Match 3. Draw Gabe Wilkalkia. Super nice gentlemen from Washington State. Knows the game better than me....I probably shoot a little straighter and win. Again the score was not indicative of close our match was.

Match 4. Hello Mr. Warren Kiamco. What I get all the world champs? Where is Dennis O or Alex P? He warms up (hits two balls). We lag and he just nips me out for the break. After a long first game he makes a beautiful 3 rail through traffic for the first game. 1-0 Kiamco I make another good break (actually all my breaks where just working). Another long game but I get an edge and push the balls up table. He leaks out a ball and I make a nice carom for the win...1-1. Next game I forget but he took advantage of his break and gets ahead. 7-6. He almost make this game ball and I make a perfect 2-Rail Up and Down from my pocket...feeling pretty good about myself I look at the crowd and say...what no applause. A local pipes back and says now make the 3 railer for the win and claps. Pull back and stroke it. 3 rails. Doubles up in the jaws and leaks out. WK strokes it home. 2-1WK. Next game is another long one. I battle back and get to 7-7. He finally makes a mistake and I have a twist long bank which I would love to move over an inch or two. Pull back...wack it...looks good...clips the point Hanger for Warren. I shake his hand.

Had a great time. Met some forum friends. Made some new ones. Again thx to Mark G for putting in a great tourney. He even let me in the booth for a couple of matches while I got abused for being Canadian. All in fun. Mark is a class guy and a great steward of our sport.

After the final I congratulate SVB and he points at me and says you were my toughest match. Not sure if he was being nice but I had a Zhit eating grin on my face for about an hour.

Picture of SVB after he had his way with me:

Attachments

• IMG_1710-2.jpg
    IMG_1710-2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Nice write up Nick. I’ve played also Shane, Warren, and Ronn. They all know 1P well. Glad you had a great time.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Great Trip Report and mighty fine playing.. If He said that shit, he meant it.. If you had been his easiest match, he would just not have said anything.. He meant it and I mean I enjoyed that stream and your commentary so very much..

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
What a great time - and a great write up.

Next time you’re in Chicago I want several balls.

pj
chgo

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Congrats on what sounded like a great tournament performance giving those champions all they could handle. I enjoyed you in the booth, too.

Dave

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
My US Open One Pocket

Congrats on a good showing, and thanks for the write up! After playing you in Chicago, I am not surprised you did well. You really shoot great! What does surprise me is how well you remember everything afterwards, lol. Nice recall!

MM

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for telling your story, Nick, a nice tale to hear. Sounds like a very satisfying trip. I've never seen you shoot, but you're clearly more than capable of holding your own against the best! Well done.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Great write up Nick, I appreciate all the details!

No shame in losing to SVB or WK man, good playing.

I can't say that I am surprised though! I have seen Nick shoot at the member's tourney in Chicago last year (which he finished 3rd in, mind you, right behind Mr. Newark and pilot Jim). I knew when we played our match in the trny, the score was closer than it probably should have been as I was playing over my head hehe...

Thanks again for the share!

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Guys I didn't do so well 2-2 and out of the money is not what I consider...good showing. My point was really two fold. We need to support this tournament because I can see it become a major thing and that SVB's game has gotten super scary. I remember watching Dennis O play Scott and Chohan saying to myself: This is a freak thing. Unrepeatable. Nobody can run and bank them that well. Well we have seen it in Dennis. SVB has brought the arms race to another level.

It's kind of like watching Mike Tyson in the late 80's. We all know the result it's only a question of which round. I used to think that without a doubt that Alex P was the best overall. Now I'm not so sure.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nick great report
i enjoyed reading it
you see your result as 2-2 out of the money
i see you toe to toe with the worlds best
pretty sporty....:)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Guys I didn't do so well 2-2 and out of the money is not what I consider...good showing. My point was really two fold. We need to support this tournament because I can see it become a major thing and that SVB's game has gotten super scary. I remember watching Dennis O play Scott and Chohan saying to myself: This is a freak thing. Unrepeatable. Nobody can run and bank them that well. Well we have seen it in Dennis. SVB has brought the arms race to another level.

It's kind of like watching Mike Tyson in the late 80's. We all know the result it's only a question of which round. I used to think that without a doubt that Alex P was the best overall. Now I'm not so sure.

It would be great if SVB picked up that extra little something he needs to become the top dog in 1P. Last year in California he came up a bit short playing Tony gambling. It’s to bad the best players were in Louisiana. It would have been great to see Shane playing the best of the best.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I have played SVB a couple times in tournaments and watched him play for years. While he was always a favorite against everyone except the very top tier, I agree with you that his game has gotten scary. He just played at it before and his overall skills made him a very good one pocket player. He is seeing the game better now and that has elevated his game IMO.

I was bummed I could not make this one but there will be more. Look forward to seeing/playing you at the members tournament.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Have always said that when Shane learns a little more about the game and starts thinking more in terms of intentionals and safety plays instead of going for the amazing cut shots that none of us would try..he is going to be dangerous.

He already has as good of ball striking ability as the top players, he just needs a little more seasoning which it sounds like he is getting..good, I love keeping competition in the upper ranks fresh!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Well just got back from a great event. Was lucky enough to combine a business trip with a little one pocket.

Day One. Fly in Thursday Morning. Catch some of the banks and watch SVB put on a clinic. Boy has that man improved his banking. Scary strong. Certain shots are just money. He can hit every shot about 3 different ways. His bank game has gotten super strong. Anything shallow bank is pure and home. Supper confident. His opponent in the finals Neal Jacobs is a scary and ultra aggressive prayer. With him no lead is safe but in the end SVB made it look easy.

Day Two. Come in early and hit some balls. Feel jet lagged but super determined to because should I wim I get to play SVB or Jay Helfert. Either way a great opportunity. I have both of Jay's books and well if it has to be SVB even better.

Match1 -Ronn and I go back and forth. He's under the weather and knows more about the game then I could ever hope to. Super tough opponent. Keeps me on my back heals but somehow I get the crucial ball when needed. Score was not indicative of edge in play. Ronn is a good gentlemen and can really make some nice long rail banks from distance.

Match 2. - SVB. He comes in like a rock star. Points at me and says ready. I explain that I just played on this table. Response...I don't care. We lag and I pin one up against the rail (told you I just played on this). Great break...almost perfect. SVB tries an aggressive bank/clearance and tries to bring the rock around 3 rails behind my stuff. Over amps a little. Gives me a free ball. Make 4 or 5 and nurse my lead home. 1-0 NB. He racks and breaks. We jockey back and forth. I break his break and get a small lead. Long game. Makes a super aggressive bank. Bing Bang Bomb. 1-1. Good Break again. Get ahead. Win. 2-1 NB. This time his break is perfect. I make a hero clear out. Turn the table around. He scratches and I get to 7-1. We get into a ticky-tacky little nudge struggle. He leaks out a shot. Super tough long range back cut for the win. Swish...cue ball goes two rails and just trickles into the to top corner. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He makes one of the best run outs I have ever seen. Boom 2-2. Now he goes into beast mode. I keep him penned up for about 30 minutes and then he smokes a straight after straight back with me about to make a bunch of balls...expect he makes them all. Bing Bang Boom. I lose 4-2. I felt like I just wrestled with a Bear. We take a couple of pictures for my son. I think I made him mad. Then he had his way with me. 3 hours in the masters workshop. His game is now a new level. Seeing his cue ball control and thinking up close was impressive.

Day 3. Match 3. Draw Gabe Wilkalkia. Super nice gentlemen from Washington State. Knows the game better than me....I probably shoot a little straighter and win. Again the score was not indicative of close our match was.

Match 4. Hello Mr. Warren Kiamco. What I get all the world champs? Where is Dennis O or Alex P? He warms up (hits two balls). We lag and he just nips me out for the break. After a long first game he makes a beautiful 3 rail through traffic for the first game. 1-0 Kiamco I make another good break (actually all my breaks where just working). Another long game but I get an edge and push the balls up table. He leaks out a ball and I make a nice carom for the win...1-1. Next game I forget but he took advantage of his break and gets ahead. 7-6. He almost make this game ball and I make a perfect 2-Rail Up and Down from my pocket...feeling pretty good about myself I look at the crowd and say...what no applause. A local pipes back and says now make the 3 railer for the win and claps. Pull back and stroke it. 3 rails. Doubles up in the jaws and leaks out. WK strokes it home. 2-1WK. Next game is another long one. I battle back and get to 7-7. He finally makes a mistake and I have a twist long bank which I would love to move over an inch or two. Pull back...wack it...looks good...clips the point Hanger for Warren. I shake his hand.

Had a great time. Met some forum friends. Made some new ones. Again thx to Mark G for putting in a great tourney. He even let me in the booth for a couple of matches while I got abused for being Canadian. All in fun. Mark is a class guy and a great steward of our sport.

After the final I congratulate SVB and he points at me and says you were my toughest match. Not sure if he was being nice but I had a Zhit eating grin on my face for about an hour.

great recap. regarding preacher ronn.....really enjoyed his commentary for the championship match. (then again, i didn't catch any of the canadian guy in the booth....;))

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I have played SVB a couple times in tournaments and watched him play for years. While he was always a favorite against everyone except the very top tier, I agree with you that his game has gotten scary. He just played at it before and his overall skills made him a very good one pocket player. He is seeing the game better now and that has elevated his game IMO.

I was bummed I could not make this one but there will be more. Look forward to seeing/playing you at the members tournament.
Yes Sir that would have been great. The one thing I did that kepped him off balance was pinned in the stack or up the side rail looking diagonally at my hole. Up and Down or Side to Side and he would shove it down my throat.

In the end it was still Bambi vs. Godzilla.

Attachments

• 4845676054_e1c97d2b28_b.jpg
    4845676054_e1c97d2b28_b.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Nick,
That was a great trip report. Thanks for sharing it. The update on Shane's game confirms his last few tournament results.

Thanks,
JoeyA