Muhammad Ali -The Greatest- succumbs to septic shock

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Anyone......

Anyone......

.......who was a teen in the 60's saw a man never before seen with what he did in the ring defensivly that was amazing.The heavy hitters like Shavers,Norton,Cleveland Williams,Liston were all worn out in a few rounds and then he put em away.Though Norton did break his jaw in one of their fights,I think it was in the 70's when he did it.Virtually untouchable in the 60's.Moved like a lightweight always on his toes.Beautiful.When he came back in 71 he wasn't able to do the same things as well as in 64-5.......When he was fighting Frazier, again,it was the 70's of course. Out of the ring he was so brash, rappin,calling the rounds, a lot of people couldnt handle it but to us he was part of a new generation like ourselves.Other than running with the lame Muslims,not to be confused with the Panthers, he was one helluva cool cat.YMMV,adios my friend..

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was looking for a certain image, of Fats and Ali together, because they had a "who's the better talker" kind of challenge that was televised back when they were both stars. As I understand it, Ali conceded to Fats in the end -- Fats was the best!!

All I found online was this small image... but at least it is the photo I was looking for.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
.......who was a teen in the 60's saw a man never before seen with what he did in the ring defensivly that was amazing.The heavy hitters like Shavers,Norton,Cleveland Williams,Liston were all worn out in a few rounds and then he put em away.Though Norton did break his jaw in one of their fights,I think it was in the 70's when he did it.Virtually untouchable in the 60's.Moved like a lightweight always on his toes.Beautiful.When he came back in 71 he wasn't able to do the same things as well as in 64-5.......When he was fighting Frazier, again,it was the 70's of course. Out of the ring he was so brash, rappin,calling the rounds, a lot of people couldnt handle it but to us he was part of a new generation like ourselves.Other than running with the lame Muslims,not to be confused with the Panthers, he was one helluva cool cat.YMMV,adios my friend..

In their first fight, Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw in a very early round. If I recall it was the 1st, but may have been the 3rd. Ali finished the fight and lost by decision! He fought the fight ith a broken jaw!

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
He was a true patriot, and a great humanitarian. RIP

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
He was a true patriot, and a great humanitarian. RIP

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."

I read from some source I thought was reliable at the time I read it that Ali helped Joe Frasier out of some tough money jams later in their lives, but I don't remember details or the source.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, I remember thinking that George Foreman was going to Kill Ali-- especially after the whupping Foreman gave Frazier. But Ali came up with the "rope-a-dope", let Foreman wear himself out, then Ali KO'd him in the 8th round.

I met Ali at Louie St. Pierre's Magic Shop on Hollywood Blvd. around 1981. I shook his hand, and was so awestruck, all I could say was, "You're the greatest." He didn't talk too much, always smiled; but he'd already started to exhibit a wee bit of palsy. He was crazy about parlor magic. He left his two-tone brown Rolls parked in the No Parking zone right out front of the store.:D

~Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Phil......

Phil......

......I think your right.The first,maybe second round.I think it went the distance so yeah,40 minutes fightin with a broken jaw......great story Doc.Yeah,by 81 he was already an old man physically........thats a cool pic of Fats & Ali...theres even another good one with Wilt Chamberlain......Wilt is extending his left arm/hand just touching Ali's jaw with his fist......and Ali is like 4 feet away and looks like a little kid standing by Wilt.......

GoldCrown

Verified Member
The fight that never happened....

Attachments

• wiltali_large.jpg
    wiltali_large.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Ive only gone to one boxing match, Ali vs Norton at Yankee Stadium. Great evening, i won a big bet that night when the decision went to Ali. R.I.P.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yeah, I remember thinking that George Foreman was going to Kill Ali-- especially after the whupping Foreman gave Frazier. But Ali came up with the "rope-a-dope", let Foreman wear himself out, then Ali KO'd him in the 8th round.

~Doc

Doc, it was after that fight that I decided (theorized) that Ali's brain must rest inside his skull in some special configuration that allowed him to take punches to the head with less effect than it would have on most people, even other highly trained boxers. I know about the benefits of superior cardio preparation, but I think it must have been more than that.

I can't imagine anyone else taking the blows that Foreman dished out, and remain standing. IOW, that "rope-a-dope" could only work for Ali, even with superior anticipation, head-movement, and blocking.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

I met Ali at Louie St. Pierre's Magic Shop on Hollywood Blvd. around 1981. I shook his hand, and was so awestruck, all I could say was, "You're the greatest." He didn't talk too much, always smiled; but he'd already started to exhibit a wee bit of palsy. He was crazy about parlor magic. He left his two-tone brown Rolls parked in the No Parking zone right out front of the store.:D

~Doc

man, you have had some incredible life experiences...... maybe i tend to romanticize things a bit, but it just seems the greats of the recent past were so much bigger and better than what there is today. i met chris chelios once (now retired nhl dman), guy radiated charisma and a certain kind of "i'm not the kind of guy you wanna fuk with" aura. can't really be articulated in words, but i know what i mean.....:p i can only imagine meeting ali would have been something similar.....

i am too young to have seen the man in his prime.

Ive only gone to one boxing match, Ali vs Norton at Yankee Stadium. Great evening, i won a big bet that night when the decision went to Ali. R.I.P.

that's amazing. when you see professional boxing in person, its a whole different experience than seeing it on tv, isn't it? the skill is mind boggling. that ring sure looks real small as well...nowhere to hide....you're in it....

:)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
man, you have had some incredible life experiences...... maybe i tend to romanticize things a bit, but it just seems the greats of the recent past were so much bigger and better than what there is today. i met chris chelios once (now retired nhl dman), guy radiated charisma and a certain kind of "i'm not the kind of guy you wanna fuk with" aura. can't really be articulated in words, but i know what i mean.....:p i can only imagine meeting ali would have been something similar.....

i am too young to have seen the man in his prime.

that's amazing. when you see professional boxing in person, its a whole different experience than seeing it on tv, isn't it? the skill is mind boggling. that ring sure looks real small as well...nowhere to hide....you're in it....

:)

I can only imagine how quick this guy really was with his hands, and his feet...
I saw him fight in his prime and in his decline, all on television, which some of you may or may not realize, slows actual speed up somewhat.

I knew a fellow who used to box, he was just an above average boxer in the middleweight class and at the time this took place I would guess his age at about 60... We worked together selling cars at Marshall Chevrolet in Hempstead, Texas. Nice fellow, Johnny Hopkins was his name, fought in the Roy Head era and was from a small town near Conroe, Texas called Cut and Shoot. Long story short, I used to rib him all the time about how he couldn't box a lick and if he wasn't so old I'd show him a thing or two about boxing... well, one day I asked him if he wanted to just shadow box a round with me and not have any hard contact, just light contact, pulling our punches. He said no, I wouldn't like it... Well, this caused me to egg him on even more, being the competitive guy I am, so I continued with the needle until he finally agreed....

He was right... Even at 60 years old, he destroyed me... he stepped inside and musta hit me in the stomach 7 or 8 times and open hand slapped me in the face 4 or 5 times more before I could get away from him... He was 60, an old man, and not even a contender in his prime, Ali was a 3 time heavyweight champion of the world and the most recognized man in the world for about 30 years, he was larger than life...

I can only imagine how fast he really was...

RIP. Warrior

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Are you being funny? Awfully disrespectful.

Being funny? How am I being funny. Are we doing Joe Pesci
Muhammad Ali aka Cassius Marcellus Clay.
My favorite fights were the early one's in the 60's....I'd listen to them on a transistor radio...Channel 77 WABC with Cosell announcing.
I did see Ali at the Marriott in the parking lot on City Ave in Phila. He was talking it up. I'd like to know more about him as a kid growing up.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Not Today Young Man

Not Today Young Man

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIpkfeyLfA[/ame]

GoldCrown

Verified Member
......one GC...great pic,thx,James

2 of the greatest sports legends ever. EVER. Ali was as much of a great entertainer as a great athlete. And Wilt...forgetaboutit. He owned a 6' Gina Cue.

Attachments

• Wilt:Fats.jpeg
    Wilt:Fats.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wilt-chamberlain-50703523.jpg
    wilt-chamberlain-50703523.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: