Moves with one ball on the table

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
<iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/Player/?@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY2PNlj4QdGt@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY1POrj4QdGt@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="600" height="400" ></iframe>

What would you do in either of these spots? You have pocket A and you both need one. The 13 is frozen to the bottom rail.

I can recall a few times recently selling out banks in this situation. What would the best shot be from here? Moving the 13 away from my opponents pocket while not selling a simple 1 or 2 rail bank is my desired goal but I haven't really found a shot that I feel will consistantly do this.

SD

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For your page two situation, just shooting the ball as if you were trying to three rail it toward the side pocket on your side is pretty good consistently I think.

For your page one, you could try two-railing back toward the opposite other end of the table, at the same time swinging the cue ball two rails the other way.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY2PNlj4QdGt3hSrk3hbRW1hOhx2kNlj3kREW3kOKm4kbgb2kbAF2kXvm@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY1POrj4QdGt3hSrk3hbPr2hEGl1hSEx1kOrj3kRlV3kQno3kPpS3kQOU2uCED@[/CUETABLE]

I guess I reversed them on the wei, but you will figure it out...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If you have a little flatter angle like this, sometimes you can use the top english to hold the cue ball on the foot end, but go across and back while you three rail the 13 to that same desirable are around your side pocket. Like this, from location 'B'. But from where you have the cue I'm not sure you get enough action to go over and back like I've shown here -- that's why I moved the cue over a little :)

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY2PNlj4QdGt2RTxj3hSrk3hbAP2hEvk1hTbu2mTxj3mRUW3mNMl4mbqX3mOKA@[/CUETABLE]

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dudley said:
I can recall a few times recently selling out banks in this situation. What would the best shot be from here? Moving the 13 away from my opponents pocket while not selling a simple 1 or 2 rail bank is my desired goal but I haven't really found a shot that I feel will consistantly do this.
That's a nightmare leave. Medium slow speed with a half-ball hit would probably leave a decent safety:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY2PNlj4QdGt3hSrk3haQo2kNlj3kRMa3kQnk3kJjh@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY1POrj4QdGt@"noresize="noresize"marginheight="0"marginwidth="0"frameborder="no"width="600"height="400">@[/CUETABLE]
If I were feeling frisky, I might shoot to the side rail first in attempts to bank the 13 to midway up the long rail on my side. That's a dangerous shot, though.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i dont think i could get enough force follow on steves shot to hold the q . i like docs type of shot from both positions. bieng careful not to leave the long one rail bank

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
That's a nightmare leave. Medium slow speed with a half-ball hit would probably leave a decent safety:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY2PNlj4QdGt3hSrk3haQo2kNlj3kRMa3kQnk3kJjh@3AWsW4BGTV3CLRY3DRFY4EQgX3FIPX4GIoV3HFeX4INuY3JTyX4KWTY4LLRV3MSrk4NTaY3OOLY1POrj4QdGt@"noresize="noresize"marginheight="0"marginwidth="0"frameborder="no"width="600"height="400">@[/CUETABLE]
If I were feeling frisky, I might shoot to the side rail first in attempts to bank the 13 to midway up the long rail on my side. That's a dangerous shot, though.

Doc
This is the correct shot. Thier is very little you can do. The correct answer is dont let you opponent but you in this position. Its almost being in check mate and the player says what do I do know. The key is to stay out of these situation. If you can do that you can play one pocket.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie loses me here. Is there anyone here, besides Artie, who feels like he can guarantee that his opponent will not be able to leave him in such a situation, with one ball on the table? I really don't understand. :confused: :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
answers

answers

vapros said:
Artie loses me here. Is there anyone here, besides Artie, who feels like he can guarantee that his opponent will not be able to leave him in such a situation, with one ball on the table? I really don't understand. :confused: :eek:

NO, I really don't think so. Not me for sure. I like and have used all the examples above. The 13 ball being frozen creates special problems, especially slow rolling safties, if you kiss you usually lose.
Rod.
PS; I'm suprised Artie ever made enough mistakes that his opponent only needed one.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
NO, I really don't think so. Not me for sure. I like and have used all the examples above. The 13 ball being frozen creates special problems, especially slow rolling safties, if you kiss you usually lose.
Rod.
PS; I'm suprised Artie ever made enough mistakes that his opponent only needed one.

Very astute observation Rod. Remind me never to get into a verbal, or written confrontation with you. ( I'd need 9/4 and the break)

PS I also think Doc's choice is least risky..if you trust the table role.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Very astute observation Rod. Remind me never to get into a verbal, or written confrontation with you. ( I'd need 9/4 and the break)

PS I also think Doc's choice is least risky..if you trust the table role.
If I players Shoots at a 3 to 1 shot and runs 7 balls Do you see any mistake I dont.And If I play with one ball on the table my opponents will make more mistakes then I will. If You Are Playing Eight ball on the bar table and youre opponent gets the first brack and he runs out every game he breacks. Did You make any mistakes. And How can you win When That Happines. Maybe you can tell me a secret.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Thank you all for the good ideas. I've tried similar shots with mixed results. My favorite shot is the half ball hit for page one but it sure is hard to beat the kiss at anything less then a medium hit.

SD

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Artie Bodendorfer said:
This is the correct shot. Thier is very little you can do. The correct answer is dont let you opponent but you in this position. Its almost being in check mate and the player says what do I do know. The key is to stay out of these situation. If you can do that you can play one pocket.

I guess this is the key to this scenario...Don't get in it. ;)

SD

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I disagree that the half-ball safety that Doc, Artie & SJD think is the best shot, is the best choice in this tough situation, because....

....From 9 feet away, frozen on the rail, and needing the table to roll pin straight (and how many tables do), you have to hit the object ball dead perfect - a little too full and you double kiss, a little too thin and you sell out the ball - too tough....

I say either Steve's first suggestion, or Doc's second choice, kicking one rail into the ball are better choices.....They're not easy shot's to hit well either, but I like them better, AND, with these two choices at least a not-straight-rolling table won't beat you.....Also, if you shoot one of these shots, particularly Steve's shot, and end up leaving a shot, it will at least probably be some kind of a long bank - missable, not automatic.....But if you hit the half-ball safety bad, or it rolls off - game over.

- Ghost

PS, And, not meaning to woof now....:eek:.....but I will 'put my money where my mouth is'....At the next DCC, I will play anybody my speed, that prefers the "half-ball safety", and I'll shoot my opposing choice of safety - we'll play 2 innings from there, say, 10 or 15 times and see who comes out ahead.....:)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
I disagree with the half-ball safety that Doc, Artie & SJD think is the best shot, in this tough spot, because....

....from 9 feet away, frozen on the rail, needing the table to roll pin straight (and how many tables do), you have to hit the object ball dead perfect - a little too full and you double kiss, a little too thin and you sell out the ball - too tough....

I say either Steve's first suggestion, or Doc's second choice, kicking one rail into the ball are better choices.....They're not easy shot's to hit well either, but I like them better, AND, with these two choices at least a not-straight-rolling table won't beat you.

- Ghost

PS, And, not meaning to woof now....:eek:.....but I will 'put my money where my mouth is'....At the next DCC, I will play anybody my speed, that prefers the "half-ball safety", and I'll shoot my opposing choice of safety - we'll play 2 innings from there, say, 10 or 15 times and see who comes out ahead.....:)

Ghost,

I agree with you. I do not know who suggested this shot but I do know that I do not like it.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have to shoot this shot, doesn't it mean that you have made 8 mistakes, at least, in this game? The seven balls he has, and the position that he left you in.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
I disagree that the half-ball safety that Doc, Artie & SJD think is the best shot, is the best choice in this tough situation, because....

....From 9 feet away, frozen on the rail, and needing the table to roll pin straight (and how many tables do), you have to hit the object ball dead perfect - a little too full and you double kiss, a little too thin and you sell out the ball - too tough....

I say either Steve's first suggestion, or Doc's second choice, kicking one rail into the ball are better choices.....They're not easy shot's to hit well either, but I like them better, AND, with these two choices at least a not-straight-rolling table won't beat you.....Also, if you shoot one of these shots, particularly Steve's shot, and end up leaving a shot, it will at least probably be some kind of a long bank - missable, not automatic.....But if you hit the half-ball safety bad, or it rolls off - game over.

- Ghost

who do you consider your speed???

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
So I guess it really comes down to execution then. either way you have to hit it perfect. But the double kiss on the slow roll is the easiest way to sell out a straight in shot.

SD

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.
THe Only Mistakes That I would Make When I was PLaying Good Would Be To Miss A Ball. You Would Not See Mentale Mistakes. And IF You Slis Or Skid The Cue Ball To THe !3 Ball It Will NOt Roll Off. Were Did The Goast Learn To PlaY One Pocket? If He Is FRom Chicago. He Must Have Came Out At Night And Watched Me Play On THe Sneek. And I Wpold Like To Bet By Your Answers THat You Are A % or !0 Dollaer Player And Never Played A Session For Big Moey. I Am Gussing By THe Way You Answer. And I THink I read People Real Good. Because That Was One Of My Strengths. Not Just Playing. Reading People Is Very Important.