Movement/Strategy

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Bob

Bob

Still over in the desert... not much humidity... very dry...
MWR (morale, welfare, recreation), has a tent on just about every FOB (forward operatiion base), usually they have one nine foot table, some are brunswicks, gold crowns believe it or not...
I will be home in the spring...

Plan on the following events...
Open a bottle of Glenlevit... Get really drunk... wake up and repeat...
Play Doc, on the first tuesday I am home...
Go to Chicago to meet Freddy... and beg for lessons...
Go to Vegas, to meet people on this forum hopefully get to meet and thank a bunch of people for making my life bearable over here...
Cowboy Dennis, sent me a DVD a month with different matchs, I watch at least one a day, over and over... hope some of it sinks in...

played in all but 4 of the 8 ball and 9 ball tournaments here... didn't finish in either 1st or 2nd in 2 all year... came in 2nd once... won the rest... pretty good year...

Its why I want to play Doc on the first tuesday... Kind of like, well, he can welcome my pool game back to planet earth... LOL

Bille

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The better bank pool players I have seen almost never scratch -- they hang on to the cue ball like it means something. Hacks like me turn the cue ball loose a lot more -- sure, we might make one of those "spin-the-ball thin cut banks" now and then, but for every one we make, we get about one scratch from turning whitey loose.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
The better bank pool players I have seen almost never scratch -- they hang on to the cue ball like it means something. Hacks like me turn the cue ball loose a lot more -- sure, we might make one of those "spin-the-ball thin cut banks" now and then, but for every one we make, we get about one scratch from turning whitey loose.

This almost sounds like you're talking about me:confused:

Like I'd ever shoot some "spin-the-ball thin cut banks"

Like I'd ever scratch a lot

Who you know here, that's been giving the line on me:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wgcp said:
...Its why I want to play Doc on the first tuesday... Kind of like, well, he can welcome my pool game back to planet earth... LOL

Bille
Looking forward to it, Bille. And since you haven't been able to play much one-pocket in awhile, I'll agree to play you even.:)

Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Planet earth

Planet earth

Sounds good,can't beat playin the Doc for a bit of de-compression.In 68 we called it"When I get back to the World"..etc. etc.Ya,who would of thought a Gold Crown??Y'all take care,good to hear morale is high,listening to the Stanley Bros. as I send this"Stone walls and steel bars".Great Bluegrass,adios,Bob,Oh,here in MN the wind chill is -2 below and the humidity is 74% which seems to go right through you which brings to mind the old saying"The coldest winter I ever spent was one summer in San Francisco".

Last edited:

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doc

Doc

sounds great Doc... sure will be strange coming in on a tuesday and not seeing Mike playing on table 10...or my dad calling to go fishing... funny how stuff like that doesn't mean as much while you are around yet as soon as you are gone and have to come back home you think of the things you want to do...

By the way... I get the first break... and at least two sharks per game... LOL

B

p.s. tell bank pool james I want a game of full rack banks when I get there... might as well lose at all the games we talk about...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wgcp said:
sounds great Doc... sure will be strange coming in on a tuesday and not seeing Mike playing on table 10...or my dad calling to go fishing... funny how stuff like that doesn't mean as much while you are around yet as soon as you are gone and have to come back home you think of the things you want to do...

By the way... I get the first break... and at least two sharks per game... LOL

p.s. tell bank pool james I want a game of full rack banks when I get there... might as well lose at all the games we talk about...
You're right about Skeeter's. It's just not the same without Mike. Everyone is still working on identifying and locating the murder suspect. The guy will be apprehended sooner or later.

Haven't seen James in quite awhile. I believe he's driving truck now, so not as much off time to head to the poolroom...

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:
I've had a bit of a time trying to understand the strategy in bank pool, as it is extremely difficult to keep from leaving a bank.

It is just a play of percentages? Leaving somebody on the rail to leave them with a 30% bank in hopes of getting in return a leave for a 40/50/60% shot? Is it along the lines of playing smart will win you 60% of your games, even though leaving them that chance may cost you the 40%?

In retrospect, in playing some banks with others, I was a little thrown off by how frequently some of the decent(non-banks) players miss their bank shots. I remember Brumback saying that(or maybe my interpretation) he plays quite a bit of strategy to temp opponents with somewhat challenging "easy" banks to set up a leave for his own easier banks. Although I like to shoot first and ask questions later, I've noticed that sometimes I can leave my opponent a little too well. I can outgun a lot of the people I've played with, but getting too aggressive makes the games much closer than they should be or results in a narrow loss.

My first thought on bank defensive strategy would be to lock up the CB with a ball or leave long and railed.

Hello there,Let me try to explain It some.First,IMHO there are really no easy banks.The easy banks are just as easy to miss as any bank If that makes since. Yes it is all about trying to figure out the %s. But you have to go by what (YOU) can do.You really can't go by what someone eles can do. That's why I tell people that It helps alot if you know your opp. and any weekness he might have,and that will let you maybe shoot at a shot that you wouldn't shoot on some other player. Here's a good tip also. Play the game "one" ball at a time.Don't play the game one game at a time. Bankpool Is a hard game.You have to give all banks some respect.Hope that helps.Bankpool Is very hard to explain in writing but I will try. Thanks,JB

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
+1 to what John said.

I see it like this:

Just play it like a game of Hot Potato, and leave em tough shots with a LITTLE reward, or leave em nothing at all. When they miss, you get the little reward, when they make it, you learn not to leave it anymore! ALWAYS give it a chance to go banking, a one ball lead may look like a mile in the desert lead to a worn opponent. Also, learn one shot they love to leave. I aint tellin what mine was from my 'coach'. But he HATES leaving me there now! So my reward? I get NOTHING! J/K ...the wind comes right out of the sails when you send 1 sailin away..

Last edited: