Movement/Strategy

Banks

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
386
I've had a bit of a time trying to understand the strategy in bank pool, as it is extremely difficult to keep from leaving a bank.

It is just a play of percentages? Leaving somebody on the rail to leave them with a 30% bank in hopes of getting in return a leave for a 40/50/60% shot? Is it along the lines of playing smart will win you 60% of your games, even though leaving them that chance may cost you the 40%?

In retrospect, in playing some banks with others, I was a little thrown off by how frequently some of the decent(non-banks) players miss their bank shots. I remember Brumback saying that(or maybe my interpretation) he plays quite a bit of strategy to temp opponents with somewhat challenging "easy" banks to set up a leave for his own easier banks. Although I like to shoot first and ask questions later, I've noticed that sometimes I can leave my opponent a little too well. I can outgun a lot of the people I've played with, but getting too aggressive makes the games much closer than they should be or results in a narrow loss.

My first thought on bank defensive strategy would be to lock up the CB with a ball or leave long and railed.
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,744
I'm also curious about this. I'm enough of a beginner at Banks strategy that I don't know much beyond the "leave 'em long" concept - which of course I ignore if I think I have a shot (and don't we always think we have a shot, lol?). But I have never played full rack banks -- only short rack. I am sure that strategy comes much more in to play with full racks.
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,596
Banks said:
I've had a bit of a time trying to understand the strategy in bank pool, as it is extremely difficult to keep from leaving a bank.

It is just a play of percentages? Leaving somebody on the rail to leave them with a 30% bank in hopes of getting in return a leave for a 40/50/60% shot? Is it along the lines of playing smart will win you 60% of your games, even though leaving them that chance may cost you the 40%?

In retrospect, in playing some banks with others, I was a little thrown off by how frequently some of the decent(non-banks) players miss their bank shots. I remember Brumback saying that(or maybe my interpretation) he plays quite a bit of strategy to temp opponents with somewhat challenging "easy" banks to set up a leave for his own easier banks. Although I like to shoot first and ask questions later, I've noticed that sometimes I can leave my opponent a little too well. I can outgun a lot of the people I've played with, but getting too aggressive makes the games much closer than they should be or results in a narrow loss.

My first thought on bank defensive strategy would be to lock up the CB with a ball or leave long and railed.
I played in the banks two years ago at my first DCC. I made it to the 7th round with a little luck in the draw and a simple strategy that worked well until I ran into some of the better players.

I would pick out a bank that was makeable but would not leave much of a shot if I missed. I didn't play banks that left good shots IF I made them unless they were semi hanger short rail banks or banks into the side pockets.

This strategy worked fine while I was drawing other old guys like myself. In the sixth round I drew Randy Vaughn from Tennessee who made banks from everywhere. In the seventh round I drew Biloxi Mike Surber who also made me look like the inexperienced bank pool player I was.

The trouble with playing safe in banks is the same as in one pocket. When you do get a chance to make one it's hard to swing at it when you have been ducking too much.

This year it is all offense for me, just like the good players.
 

Banks

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
386
Thanks for the input, Mr. H.

I had kinda thought that may be the case when playing bank pool. Either you are playing somebody that hopes they make the banks that they are going for and you can afford to leave medium/hard shots or you are playing a real banker and can't leave them sliver showing without them finding somewhere it could go (either lock them up or shoot to kill). Of course, even at the high levels, shooting to kill must involve some kind of offensive/defensive shots since it doesn't sound like bank pool is very often a game of runouts.
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
8,878
jrhendy said:
I played in the banks two years ago at my first DCC. I made it to the 7th round with a little luck in the draw and a simple strategy that worked well until I ran into some of the better players.

I would pick out a bank that was makeable but would not leave much of a shot if I missed. I didn't play banks that left good shots IF I made them unless they were semi hanger short rail banks or banks into the side pockets.

This strategy worked fine while I was drawing other old guys like myself. In the sixth round I drew Randy Vaughn from Tennessee who made banks from everywhere. In the seventh round I drew Biloxi Mike Surber who also made me look like the inexperienced bank pool player I was.

The trouble with playing safe in banks is the same as in one pocket. When you do get a chance to make one it's hard to swing at it when you have been ducking too much.

This year it is all offense for me, just like the good players.

John.....That's the same guy that knocked me out of the banks, one round before you...I'd leave him long, and he'd spear in every full-table-length straight back like it was a hanger...:eek:
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,865
Freddy,
any bank movement/strtegy 101 you would like to share???:)
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,595
I've noticed that the good players, especially the top players like Brumback, aren't always aggressive; but when they see a makeable bank from which they can get position to make 2 or 3 more, they are inclined to go for it.

Likewise, if there's not much opportunity to run more banks, then they'll take a bank which might be low percentage, but it will allow them to leave the CB safe. And even in short rack, sometimes one just has to shoot a flat-out safety.

I imagine those two situations apply in either short or full rack banks, although full rack is going to be played more like one-pocket or straight pool. I imagine that safeties in full rack must be more difficult than they are in 1P because the shooter is defending against 6 holes, not just 1.

Doc
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
Strategy

Strategy

After playing banks for 15 years with a world class player this is what Iv'e noticed.Strategy rarely applies unless your of equal strength.Leaving the cue ball on the rail is harder in banks than other games cause your shooting harder.He beat me the same whether I used offense or defense or a combination.We would play banks and 1-pocket cause I never got to shoot playing the other games as he was so good.We would play for hours at a time.It was great!I would go for the offense as it gives the best chance to win cause your not going to win at banks playing defense.We played full-rack banks as it teaches you how to bank around balls that are in your way using english and speed.75% of banks need to be hit center ball medium hard speed.There's more but I have to go.Good luck,B
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
Part2.......

Part2.......

A good banker will beat a better shooter in 1 pocket more than a better shooter will beat a good banker.Being comfortable with banks will lift your 1 pocket game by about 25-35%.When in doubt as to cross or stiffen always cross with english as to beat the double kiss[percentages].The best way to get the table speed down is to bank the balls around then shoot.Always warm up with banks before playing 1 pocket if possible.English is your enemy more than your friend in banks so adjust unless your special like Billy,Grady,Fargo etc. in which case all I've said is redundant.Its usually better to hit em too hard than too soft[usually].Nothing beats playing with a champion who makes banks that shouldnt go but do[Freddie,Piggyback,Varner].There's no substitute for hours of nothing but banks.When you can,setup 3 and 4 rail short angle banks in the side to know when you are getting the hang.[Short-long-long].When was the last time you played 3 hours of banks straight???Its very boring until your proficient I know.If I can think of more which I doubt I'll be bach as mozart would say,cheers,Bob
 
Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
3,420
Bob, that's good stuff, and I appreciate it. I'm not a good banker, and all help is good news. I'll try to get in some practice sessions. :)
 

Banks

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
386
I've always had a fairly good eye for banks.. when I first started league, I'd use banks to either get leaves or as defensive-offensive shots. After going to the bar to practice and either running out of money or getting bored, I'd then just take the last ball or two and start banking it back to myself so that I could catch it and respot it without running around the table looking like a fool. Then I'd start playing with speed and spin transfer from the head spot.

I usually practice with 8b and 9b, but will start banking once I get bored or to clean the table after a runout. Mostly I enjoy watching the effects of different cut angles, ways to avoid double-kisses(timing shots) and fun banks (cross over one side pocket and back into the other). Watching the home-stretch "bend" is cool on the multis.

I tend to ramble.. what were talking about again? :eek: :confused:
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
some

some

Hey V......some of its good stuff,most just elementry but who knows what here???I dont know anybody or the speed level. Ah well,its all good.I know after 45 years Im still terrible at combo's cause I quit practicing them after 10-20 minutes cause I have no discipline.I was never a good banker till my friend came along in 83 and thats about all we played along with 3-cushion for 15 years 20 hrs/week.Thats what is so good about 3-cushion cause your happy if you come close whereas in pocket pool coming close is torture......good stuff,as Freddie says bank on.....I hope Doc is right about Feb 1 .......
 

wgcp

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
1,701
DVD's

DVD's

Don't just buy the books... The DVD's actually show the paths of the balls... might not help everyone... but the principle's are sound... they have helped my game tremendously...

B
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
mostly....

mostly....

Glad to hear of your success with the DVD's.Most everything helps some more or less.There of course was nothing like this or Freddies site back 20-30 years.Are you still overseas????What kind of table?Who recovers them?With what?Whats the humidity like?Whats your MOS?Sorry for all the questions,Im very curious today,adios,Bob
 

dmyroncox

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
75
bank

bank

know what shots you shoot well and shoot them
practice the shots you dont shoot well.
keep to the center of the q ball whenever possible,
smaller movements of the q ball is better
to be a good banker you need to have dependable shots, and that is important

they say you should always make your cross sides and cross corners,

but you must be good at straight backs, because you will have more of them if that player your playing is paying attention.

playing safe is controlling the q ball, shoot shots that are not promising shots to prevent leaving a shot.

depending on the player you play sometimes running balls is the only choice.
i cant beat Truman without running out. period.
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
Truman

Truman

Hey,if your playing Truman your playing the best.I will expect lots of tips/idea's here so keep on keepin on and good luck.Pretty humbling playing fellows of that stature.How long have you been playing him?What do you usually play?Whats your favorite game?How young are you?Questions,questions..........
 

dmyroncox

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
75
runnin out

runnin out

the other side of that is if i dont run out he will

there are lots of good bankers here...

me well im not a big talker here, just not my style, if i have something to say i will but for the most part im a quiet soul.

ive been playing with Truman for some time,
we can play for a while and the only way i have a chance is to finish before he hits his gear, for a older guy he still shoots real well....
over 50 not quite 60
but the games here are bank or onepocket.
ill probably see him this afternoon at the pool hall

me ill be at derby city, ill also be at the hall of fame dinner. me im easy to find
 

usblues

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
1,320
gentleman

gentleman

hello down there,well you just said alot by saying a little.Impressive,keep up the good work and hope to see you on the run preferably down there in bankland,B
 
Top