Most awe inspiring match of one pocket you ever witnessed

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Man, at one point he played EVERYTHING top notch. Well at least 9b, 8b, banks and one hole that I know of...

Growing up in Dayton I played a lot of pool at Airway Billiards. I played a bit back then with Jason, he was probably 13 or 14 years old. It was clear to me that he was going to become a strong player.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
there was a match with efren and bustamante where I think by bustamante ended up owing 7 at hard times. forget what year but it was the markulis tournament where the power went out for 4 hours after day one or two I forget

Cory in dc

Verified Member
AS far as awe inspiring , Efren Reyes vs Jason Miller One Pocket final at DCC.
Efren beat him 24 to minus 2, I think. I'm from Ohio and have met Jason so I felt bad for him, but hey , Efren made everybody look goofy at some point.
I know Jason is not known to be an elite one pocket player but he has been bank Champion 2 or 3 times, and had beaten everyone else in the world to get to play Efren.
The next best, I was playing a guy named Leo in Ohio and I ran 7 balls and hung my eighth one in the pocket.
He has zero balls , the balls are all over the table , a few on my long rail and a couple on his side, and I leave him a really tough bank.
He makes it, makes another ball or 2 and then freezes me behind a ball . I leave another almost impossible bank and he makes that , cuts a ball in from outer space and plays a dead nut safe again. He finally gets to where he can pocket my ball and scratch.
I get my winning ball in front of my hole about 4 or 5 times in the next half hour of safeties which he keeps taking out and he finally makes the third nearly impossible bank of the game and gets position and makes the last ball.
I was mentally physically and emotionally about as exhausted as I had ever been. The game lasted over 2 hours.
Lots of great safes,shots and takeouts by both of us .
I couldn't be angry , he was a perfect gentleman to play with always, and had the heart of a lion.
As he got older his game fell off a bit and some of the new guys would doubt he ever played well , I made sure I told them this story. I wish I could remember his last name , not even sure I knew it though. RIP, Leo my friend.

Yeah, Efren played Miller and then Pagulayan. Between those two matches, he was up something like 48-8 against Miller and Alex

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The Efren Daulton match sounds like Jeremy Jones and Joey Aguzzin commentating. Sylver vs Raphael was Tres Kane definately
Yea, I am re watching it as I work, so I had to mute the sound but I un-mute it when i have short breaks where I can...I just heard our very own Dr. Bill commentating now...and wow what a shot Shannon just made (he got lucky but it still looked nice) - check it out around 46:40 -- Dr. Bill was also wondering what he did, and now he actually can rewind it back! :)

wow, another even better one, much better one at 49:05....

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I grew up in Oak Park, Mi home of the famed "Rack". I was buzzed in for the first time as this was not my home room. The 1st one pocket match I ever witnessed was Jew Paul playing Freddy Salem $10,000/game on a 5x10 snooker table. I really didn't know what I was watching but the money made my jaw drop. Seemed to me that they took as long to count the money after each game as it took to play (each counted the money before starting the next game).

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John henderson vrs joey barnes at california billiards. did not end till 6:30 am and john looked more awake than any of the rest of us and got out of everything joey could throw at him

My last two matches were Amar Kang and Joey Barnes. Best I had played in a long time and have not played quite that well since. Payday was $600 for A $30 entry fee. After it was over at 6:30 am, Eric Krause, who had his motor home there, said you must be tired, sleep a while in the motor home. I was so jacked up about winning I drove the 2 1/2 hours home.

unoperro

Verified Member
My last two matches were Amar Kang and Joey Barnes. Best I had played in a long time and have not played quite that well since. Payday was $600 for A $30 entry fee. After it was over at 6:30 am, Eric Krause, who had his motor home there, said you must be tired, sleep a while in the motor home. I was so jacked up about winning I drove the 2 1/2 hours home.
Curious was Joey there with the Dogman aka Shoes?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The Efren Daulton match sounds like Jeremy Jones and Joey Aguzzin commentating. Sylver vs Raphael was Tres Kane definately
there was a match with efren and bustamante where I think by bustamante ended up owing 7 at hard times. forget what year but it was the markulis tournament where the power went out for 4 hours after day one or two I forget

Sylver Ochoa and Rafael Martinez was Lenny Marshall and myself at California Billiards doing the broadcast
Later in that same tournament Scott Frost and John Schmidt had their epic 13 balls owed game

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
He was there with Robert from Oakland. I believe Robert’s brother was Oakland Herbie who passed away a few years back. Herbie was one of the best at Three Card Monte I ever saw.
when I first started playing one pocket it was at herbies joint when he was keeping watch over the fox theater in oakland. never saw him do cards was always shells but what always impressed me about herby was the fact that he made people happy to lose money to him. Saw him beat some guys out of 3500 in 7 minutes and they where laughing the entire time and came back the next week

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Agree completely...Bill Rowsey told me to watch it on you tube said it was one of the best he had seen also...
I was thinking that you had attended the Galveston event. You must have had to work. That TV table was so dry, and the lights were so hot, that it was like playing on a linoleum floor. It took awhile for the pros to adjust from the slower, wetter tables in the main tournament area.

Since most of the rooms are closing, I'll have to have you over to Doc's rec room for a session. I haven't competed against anyone since the Bogie's senior event 17 months ago, so I may need a lesson.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I was thinking that you had attended the Galveston event. You must have had to work. That TV table was so dry, and the lights were so hot, that it was like playing on a linoleum floor. It took awhile for the pros to adjust from the slower, wetter tables in the main tournament area.

Since most of the rooms are closing, I'll have to have you over to Doc's rec room for a session. I haven't competed against anyone since the Bogie's senior event 17 months ago, so I may need a lesson.
Have mask will travel

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
when I first started playing one pocket it was at herbies joint when he was keeping watch over the fox theater in oakland. never saw him do cards was always shells but what always impressed me about herby was the fact that he made people happy to lose money to him. Saw him beat some guys out of 3500 in 7 minutes and they where laughing the entire time and came back the next week
Herbie was one of my favorite characters in the Bay Area. He used to come over to the house when he was in Santa Cruz. His trick to the three walnut shells was to find one that had lots of little stickers on the inside so when he tapped the top, his little cotton ball would stick to the inside. He would lift it up, show nothing and put it back down. He played a pretty mean game of banks too.