More Than One Shot #2

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Clarification. If I miss 2 ball and leave it on short rail Rod might have easy 9 ball bank

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
MARK..HOU TX said:
Clarification. If I miss 2 ball and leave it on short rail Rod might have easy 9 ball bank

Mark,

No clarification needed, that is what you said (I thought). That's why I don't shoot this shot on Diamonds, the ball goes long and ends up on the end-rail and a free bank on the 9 is given up.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stljohnny said:
I recently learned that shot as well, but I almost never get my CB all the way over - at least, not without slamming the 9 so hard, if i miss, it comes all the way back up table somewhere. heh

stljohnny,

If the 9 doesn't go airborne till at least the side-pocket then you didn't hit it hard enough:D . I've almost knocked myself out several times slamming that shot. It's a thing of beauty when it goes though.

Dennis

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
stljohnny,

If the 9 doesn't go airborne till at least the side-pocket then you didn't hit it hard enough:D . I've almost knocked myself out several times slamming that shot. It's a thing of beauty when it goes though.

Dennis

And don't forget to yell Ole' when you're jumping out of the way.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tried it at home

Tried it at home

Cowboy Dennis said:
One of my favorite banks unless playing on a Diamond. They don't go on Diamonds, at least not for me.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BAsY3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PWCB3QcQp4VAsY2Vaiu2VQni4VVSy4kWCB4kBql3kagy1kVhv2uCUP@[/CUETABLE]

I tried this shot on my Gold Crown, Dennis. I executed it perfectly about 1/2 the time, and fairly decently 40% of the time. I think if I was careful I could execute it passably every time.

The trick to the shot, and this is directed at Doc, is to use a slower, smoother delivery with maximum right english (not masse!), and a very loose, no grab on the butt, follow thru. That helps the cue ball to go forward, rather than deflect whereby you would need a masse stroke. The execution is easy and the Ghost is nuts. Its a dandy thing to know. The stroke is the opposite of the stroke in Daly's Billiard Book, circa 1906, called, le cou sec (the dry stroke). That stroke provides the maximum deflection (or carom) off of the object ball.
Please dont wake Lou Figeroa up to this post. Me and Old Maurice Daly cant explain the effect any more than that. We are unfortunately limited to the fact that it works.
(Ghosty, I no longer settle pool arguments on the pool table. If you want to argue pool with my old ass, you need to use words.)

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
I tried this shot on my Gold Crown, Dennis. I executed it perfectly about 1/2 the time, and fairly decently 40% of the time. I think if I was careful I could execute it passably every time.

The trick to the shot, and this is directed at Doc, is to use a slower, smoother delivery with maximum right english (not masse!), and a very loose, no grab on the butt, follow thru. That helps the cue ball to go forward, rather than deflect whereby you would need a masse stroke. The execution is easy and the Ghost is nuts. Its a dandy thing to know.

Beard

Freddy,

I wouldn't know how to put it into words but I know I hit it just hard enough to get it back to the pocket and put maximum spin on the rock. I think you described it perfectly.

This is a great & deadly shot to know for situations like this. Once a player gets the hang of it he'll never play safe from this position when needing two balls.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
(Ghosty, I no longer settle pool arguments on the pool table. If you want to argue pool with my old ass, you need to use words.)

Beard

Ok fine, but do I get paid $$$ for all of these shot choice debates that I keep winning from you, via the written word?....:D

- Ghosty

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
To my eye, they way they lay, it looks as though the shooter would almost have to masse with right english into the 2-ball in order to get enough spin to get above the 9-ball. Might be a good choice anyway though, as long as the opponent is not left a cross-corner on the deuce when it's missed.

I'd be inclined to just bank the 2 over to my side above the 9, and leave whitey on A's long rail.

Doc

From the angle on the WEI you could almost make it one rail and hide the cue ball behind the 9 uptable.

I would take a prop bet (small) and shoot this shot against the two railer.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jrhendy said:
From the angle on the WEI you could almost make it one rail and hide the cue ball behind the 9 uptable.

John, the one railer on the two is a risky shot, possibly leaving a return shot on the 2 ball if missed. The two railer on the 2 ball is a much better shot PROVIDING you can controll the direction and speed of the cue ball. The emphasis should be placed on the speed of the cue ball. If this shot is executed with good speed on the cue ball you may snooker your opponent on the 2 ball and increase your chances of winning. By executing good speed with the cue ball you take away all banks on the 9 ball, unless you butcher the shot.

On some tables this shot plays better then on other tables. This also should be taken into consideration when choosing your options.
The one railer on the 9 ball is suicidal and imo not an option.:eek: Playing the 2 ball two rails toward the 9 ball and repositioning the cue ball on or near the bottom cushion is always a good shot.:cool: Possibly my choice on certain tables.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jrhendy said:

If you're talking about the 2 ball cross corner, the speed of that shot doesn't put the cue ball behind the 9 ball, unless you shoot the cross corner SHORT of the pocket and hit it extra soft. Then you may leave your opponent options with the 9 ball. If your referring to the straight back one railer on the 2 ball, then for sure the speed of the cue ball is in question, which makes this shot a poor option. In any case the one railer on the 2 ball is a poor choice, and as much as I like you, you have action with me, for small money.$:D

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Ok fine, but do I get paid $$$ for all of these shot choice debates that I keep winning from you, via the written word?....:D

- Ghosty
Ghost..If you lay low you might be able to get 9-7 in verbal one pocket from Freddy

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Its not laying good

Its not laying good

jrhendy said:

The WEI table might have mislead you. The WEI table dimensions are not 4 1/2 by 9 scale. The one railer has a chance if the cue ball was a few inches up off of the short rail. I tried that shot on a real table also. Hit perfectly, the cue ball travels 5 rails (hitting below the side pocket on the 3rd rail) and continues uptable and gets behind the 9 ball.

I dont see how you are going to bank the 2 one rail and leave the cue ball behind the 9 using easy speed.

If you are just trying to make the 2 ball, period, I have a 1 rail bank that I shoot in my DVD, Banks That Dont Go, but Do, whereby the cue ball whizzes back and forth between the side rails.

Beard

John you are amazing. I couldnt get Bugs to shoot trick banks with me, but you're gonna challenge me!
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BALW1IaHJ4PVlG4VALW1VHpm4VadJ4Xesv4XtWg4kVlG4kALk3kbPK4kbve4kbve3kaYc4kHUG4kbus4kIar@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
wincardona said:
If you're talking about the 2 ball cross corner, the speed of that shot doesn't put the cue ball behind the 9 ball, unless you shoot the cross corner SHORT of the pocket and hit it extra soft. Then you may leave your opponent options with the 9 ball. If your referring to the straight back one railer on the 2 ball, then for sure the speed of the cue ball is in question, which makes this shot a poor option. In any case the one railer on the 2 ball is a poor choice, and as much as I like you, you have action with me, for small money.$:D

I said ALMOST make it, but I would shoot the one rail bank over the two railer. I can get it on my side of the table and hide it behind the 9 ball.

I agree that the one rail on the 9 ball is suicidal.

I will put you on my dance card for The Derby for $50 a pop. You shoot the two railer & I'll shoot the one rail shot.

Freddie's not barred either.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
jrhendy said:
I said ALMOST make it, but I would shoot the one rail bank over the two railer. I can get it on my side of the table and hide it behind the 9 ball.
John,

Are you talkin' about banking the 2 ball to your left or to your right?

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
ok its players B shot now since player A made the 2 ball. whats the next shot?? player A needs 1 player B needs 2
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BAsY3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PWCB3QcQp@[/CUETABLE]

Larry, I set it up and said, "Hmmm, three rail the 9 with follow and come around behind the 2 for a straight in." Shot it and it worked perfectly. So, that is what I'm going with. :D

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
The WEI table might have mislead you. The WEI table dimensions are not 4 1/2 by 9 scale. The one railer has a chance if the cue ball was a few inches up off of the short rail. I tried that shot on a real table also. Hit perfectly, the cue ball travels 5 rails (hitting below the side pocket on the 3rd rail) and continues uptable and gets behind the 9 ball.

I dont see how you are going to bank the 2 one rail and leave the cue ball behind the 9 using easy speed.

If you are just trying to make the 2 ball, period, I have a 1 rail bank that I shoot in my DVD, Banks That Dont Go, but Do, whereby the cue ball whizzes back and forth between the side rails.

Beard

John you are amazing. I couldnt get Bugs to shoot trick banks with me, but you're gonna challenge me!
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BALW1IaHJ4PVlG4VALW1VHpm4VadJ4Xesv4XtWg4kVlG4kALk3kbPK4kbve4kbve3kaYc4kHUG4kbus4kIar@[/CUETABLE]

there are some things that you dont need to know.
What was that about Bugs?????????????

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jrhendy said:

I agree that the one rail on the 9 ball is suicidal.

I will put you on my dance card for The Derby for $50 a pop. You shoot the two railer & I'll shoot the one rail shot.

Freddie's not barred either.
Dear John, how about you start every shot with the one railer for $25.00?:cool:

Just tryin to cut your losses

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
MARK..HOU TX said:
Ghost..If you lay low you might be able to get 9-7 in verbal one pocket from Freddy

I wish I could get that for the $$$ Mark, but I've already shown waaay too much speed at wordsmith-one pocket - at that game, Freddy would never admit it, but he knows he needs weight from me..:D..:p..........:cool:

- Ghost