More Chicago stuff

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
rossaroni said:
Terry Ardeno- The Dalai Lama of the pool forums!:)

Ross,
We ain't got no lamas in Washington, Pa. We got cows, ducks, deer, squirrels and chipmonks. But no lamas. In our delis they serve cheeseburgers, buffalo hot wings or fried chicken. I ain't never ate no lama in any of our delis. :)D )

Besides Billy and Grady, here's another one of my all time heros....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y[/ame]

Remember, things aren't always as they appear. :eek:

Deeman

Verified Member
Secret to one hole

Secret to one hole

Maybe, just maybe the one secret to one pocket is like the car that runs on water, it just ain't there. And maybe Artie does know the one secret way to play the game where you can't be beaten. I don't have enough money or skills to argue it, although I doubt it.

What are the chances that one or two people have it all figured out? Not sure, but although most of us may not learn this secret it sure is fun listening to everyone banter it about, don't you think.

Damn, wouldn't life be wonderful if you could just read a few lines from a former great and beat the rest of the world.

I do remember Efren being quoted as saying the secret to winning is nt to miss. Maybe that's as close as most of us will ever get. :)

Skin

Verified Member
Deeman said:
Maybe, just maybe the one secret to one pocket is like the car that runs on water, it just ain't there. And maybe Artie does know the one secret way to play the game where you can't be beaten. I don't have enough money or skills to argue it, although I doubt it.

What are the chances that one or two people have it all figured out? Not sure, but although most of us may not learn this secret it sure is fun listening to everyone banter it about, don't you think.

Damn, wouldn't life be wonderful if you could just read a few lines from a former great and beat the rest of the world.

I do remember Efren being quoted as saying the secret to winning is nt to miss. Maybe that's as close as most of us will ever get. :)

Deeman, although I know little about the game at the level the guys around here play it, I am going to venture a guess about what Artie's secret is. I'm just guessing from what I have been reading, but I can't resist putting it out.

Drum roll please....

1. Ironman-like concentration and endurance is half of it. You know, like the Ironman triathletes. Physically outlast the other guy. Make him wear down and lose concentration first.

2. The other half is delivering death by a thousand cuts. Make every shot hurt him to deal with. Shot-by-shot, damage his will and ability to play. Gradually, you'll kill his ability and will to win. In other words, slowly barbeque him and drain his money out of him like fat drains from a skewered pig.

I'm probably wrong, of course. But, it seems to me from what I have read here that is the way they played at Bensinger's and, indeed, the place was so physically uncomfortable that it probably was the only way to play.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2vqK2WRas[/ame]

Skin

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
Deeman, although I know little about the game at the level the guys around here play it, I am going to venture a guess about what Artie's secret is. I'm just guessing from what I have been reading, but I can't resist putting it out.

Drum roll please....

1. Ironman-like concentration and endurance is half of it. You know, like the Ironman triathletes. Physically outlast the other guy. Make him wear down and lose concentration first.

2. The other half is delivering death by a thousand cuts. Make every shot hurt him to deal with. Shot-by-shot, damage his will and ability to play. Gradually, you'll kill his ability and will to win. In other words, slowly barbeque him and drain his money out of him like fat drains from a skewered pig.

I'm probably wrong, of course. But, it seems to me from what I have read here that is the way they played at Bensinger's and, indeed, the place was so physically uncomfortable that it probably was the only way to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2vqK2WRas

Skin

Skin, You made a very good analogy. This has been the mindset of many top 1P players. However, not all of them played the "squeeze"type of game that drove their mediocre opponents crazy. Many, (yours truly included) made the process much less painful, by playing agressive, run out one pocket. We all keep score in different ways.
If you enjoy pulling the wings off a butterfly, than by all means, torture your opponent. If not, send him on his way, but leave him with some dignity. Who knows, he may enjoy losing to you again, and again, and again. Loosen up, nobody wants to face "perfect one pocket". (if it exists) Save that for your tournament trophy collection.

Dick

PS Did not mean to sound like I was talking to you directly. I was talking to Arty, Freddy, and Jimmy Fusco. :)

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Skin said:

Drum roll please....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2vqK2WRas

Skin

Skin,

Like you, I am not really sure but I really like your analysis. Wealways think of the two basic play methods, the R/A agressive go for it and the more Chicago like defensive play. You are basically saying you could take th Chicago method to the max and drive people nuts. I like it. :)

I just wish I had the skills or patience to pull either one off.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fast Lenny said:
Artie Bodendorfer- The Jesus of One Pocket

Lenny,

Jesus (hey-soose) mows my lawn. (but he does a good job.) ;)

Titanic Dick

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
As for Arty's skill's,
laying traps may be more productive financially, but my heroes are still the gunslinger's who hit the highway, and would bet it up ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.
Dick

SBL,

Always with the gunslingers, what do you see in them?:D

RBL

beatle

Verified Member
how did this thread reappear. it makes me so sad to see it again and how poor freddy has been treated. i wish i had his address so i could send him a wad of cash to supplement his meager social security to exist on.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
beatle said:
how did this thread reappear. it makes me so sad to see it again and how poor freddy has been treated. i wish i had his address so i could send him a wad of cash to supplement his meager social security to exist on.

Artie allready sends him a few thousand every month...I think it's "hush money"... Freddy threatened to disclose his secret file on him, so they kissed and made up..(Freddy wanted a lump sum, AB balked...so they compromised on monthly payments). ;)
Boggles the mind to think what lurks in the Beard's files, that AB would be so intimidated....He doesn't give a s--t about any past dirty deeds..:eek:

San <---is sure Dennis would not try to open any old wounds, by resurrecting this old thread..;)

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Deeman said:

Deeman,

The "Holy Grail" secret to one pocket, is very simple. Assuming you are playing even, in order to win...you must get 8 balls in your pocket, BEFORE you ALLOW your opponent to get 8 in his. It ain't rocket surgery..:rolleyes:

PS.. The above does not apply if he makes a ball on the break, and runs out...but what are the odds on that ???.:eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dont you worry, cause I do got it! I think.

Dont you worry, cause I do got it! I think.

SJDinPHX said:
Deeman,

The "Holy Grail" secret to one pocket, is very simple. Assuming you are playing even, in order to win...you must get 8 balls in your pocket, BEFORE you ALLOW your opponent to get 8 in his. It ain't rocket surgery..:rolleyes:

PS.. The above does not apply if he makes a ball on the break, and runs out...but what are the odds on that ???.:eek:

You can believe I know where the Holy Grail lies for 1pkt. Many players know it but dont even know that they know it. For instance you, SJD, I would bet that you know, and dont know that you do. I would have to watch you play a game or two, tho. I take it back that "many" players know. I should have said that many who apparently play a good speed, dont know, but probably think that they do. I have decided to release my version to Peaches, and she can do whatever she decides with it. Reasons: (a.) There are no women that I know of who are aware of it. Peaches would be the first. (b.) I dont see her using it against me in the near future. (c.) My thoughts can be constued by some as "crackpot" theory. I have experienced that already with a few souls who I was dead wrong about, and who took advantage of my trust. Much to their loss. Women are much more in tune with the mystical. (d.) She seems like a good broad, she has handled our barbs, insults and off color comments like a champ, (aside from her misguided liberal views). My theory involves entitlement so it should prove no stretch for her.

the Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Freddy, on your blog you give the "secret to one pocket". you mean you were holding back ...there's more?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Whadda you think?

Whadda you think?

lll said:
Freddy, on your blog you give the "secret to one pocket". you mean you were holding back ...there's more?

While I do give away pretty good on there, of course there is more in the closet.

the Beard

lfigueroa

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
You can believe I know where the Holy Grail lies for 1pkt. Many players know it but dont even know that they know it. For instance you, SJD, I would bet that you know, and dont know that you do. I would have to watch you play a game or two, tho. I take it back that "many" players know. I should have said that many who apparently play a good speed, dont know, but probably think that they do. I have decided to release my version to Peaches, and she can do whatever she decides with it. Reasons: (a.) There are no women that I know of who are aware of it. Peaches would be the first. (b.) I dont see her using it against me in the near future. (c.) My thoughts can be constued by some as "crackpot" theory. I have experienced that already with a few souls who I was dead wrong about, and who took advantage of my trust. Much to their loss. Women are much more in tune with the mystical. (d.) She seems like a good broad, she has handled our barbs, insults and off color comments like a champ, (aside from her misguided liberal views). My theory involves entitlement so it should prove no stretch for her.

the Beard

If your theory can't pass the "crackpot" test, then it can't be much of a theory.

Overall, I think the secret to 1pocket is a little different for each player because we all have different strengths and weaknesses, in terms of: mental ability, creativity, aggressiveness, visual acuity, physical stamina, basic pool technique, and all the different types of shots from banks, to cuts, to caroms, to speed control, etc. etc. etc.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that one size does not and cannot fit all when it comes to an overriding paradigm (oh, oh, here comes Skin) for 1pocket. What works for moi, given my limited skills, and would be my mantra, would not be Efren's chant. So what youse have is something that works for you and your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses. Mazel Tov. And I think most folks are smart enough to get that. So saying, "Neener, neener, I know something you don't and ain't gonna tell" seems more childish than much else. But that's just me.

Lou Figueroa

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Predictable

Predictable

lfigueroa said:
If your theory can't pass the "crackpot" test, then it can't be much of a theory.

Overall, I think the secret to 1pocket is a little different for each player because we all have different strengths and weaknesses, in terms of: mental ability, creativity, aggressiveness, visual acuity, physical stamina, basic pool technique, and all the different types of shots from banks, to cuts, to caroms, to speed control, etc. etc. etc.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that one size does not and cannot fit all when it comes to an overriding paradigm (oh, oh, here comes Skin) for 1pocket. What works for moi, given my limited skills, and would be my mantra, would not be Efren's chant. So what youse have is something that works for you and your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses. Mazel Tov. And I think most folks are smart enough to get that. So saying, "Neener, neener, I know something you don't and ain't gonna tell" seems more childish than much else. But that's just me.

Lou Figueroa

I figured that bait I laid out there would draw you out of the woodwork. For somebody that has so many reservations about the (sic) knowledge I claim to have, you sure seem to stay interested, somehow. What do you care? You fell right into the "crackpot" quote. Didnt you read that other post I made about prefacing a brag with a knock?

Childish, or not? Here's one "not." Its not gonna be put up for dissection from the intelligensia on AZ, that's for sure. That is, unless Peaches (Miss Fanatic), deems it prudent to do so. But I have faith in a womans ability to keep secrets. I doubt if she will tell her husband.

I have had very bad experiences attempting to pass this on so far. Since I am at heart such a tricky bast*rd, what I have done to judge worthiness is release the main gist to a student within the first few sentences of the lesson. I am looking for a reaction to see if they are really open to new thinking. So far, only 2 players were strong enough mentally to keep up. Brian Saleh was one. But, poor guy, he is stuck in England with nobody to play with. For example, Larry Nevel, was not. We never went past lesson one. Nice fella, great player, but dont you think he should be playing 1 pkt a little better according to his abilities? What if Artie had a stroke that could draw the cue ball five rails? I think Larry probably thought I was a crackpot too. So you have company there.

the Beard

Deeman

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Deeman,

Dick,

I like it when you talk dirty to me...

I do get it that there are many that are further advanced in the ball pocketing skills, what to shoot, how to duck with valor and so forth. Your simple analysis of making 8 first does seem to be my major hurdle most of the time. That's why I never assume I am evenly matched and much prefer playing a guy 9 to 6 "my way" (got that from Sinatra) :) . Although I have heard many say it is more blessed to give than receive (and not only Obama), my thoughts of self preservation or at least cash preservation have served me well unless I actually have to play someone without a gun in his/her back.

If I really thought there was "a secret" to all one pocket, I'd have kidnapped You, Freddie or Artie years ago. Now, I may not play jacked up one hole but I can waterboard like a son of a bitch! :)

DeeMan

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Waterboarding

Waterboarding

Deeman said:
Dick,

I like it when you talk dirty to me...

I do get it that there are many that are further advanced in the ball pocketing skills, what to shoot, how to duck with valor and so forth. Your simple analysis of making 8 first does seem to be my major hurdle most of the time. That's why I never assume I am evenly matched and much prefer playing a guy 9 to 6 "my way" (got that from Sinatra) :) . Although I have heard many say it is more blessed to give than receive (and not only Obama), my thoughts of self preservation or at least cash preservation have served me well unless I actually have to play someone without a gun in his/her back.

If I really thought there was "a secret" to all one pocket, I'd have kidnapped You, Freddie or Artie years ago. Now, I may not play jacked up one hole but I can waterboard like a son of a bitch! :)

DeeMan

Cant do that no more. Obama has banned it. However, I can be bribed with a young, runaway hillbilly girl.

the Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Cant do that no more. Obama has banned it. However, I can be bribed with a young, runaway hillbilly girl.

the Beard

Freddy,

This girl has been living in a nearby park and she says that she'd be willing to let you tow her trailer to Chicago with her in it, but she says that she would have to hear the secret to one-pocket first.

Just post it here and I'll show it to her:) .

runaway hillbilly girl (2).jpg

lfigueroa

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I figured that bait I laid out there would draw you out of the woodwork. For somebody that has so many reservations about the (sic) knowledge I claim to have, you sure seem to stay interested, somehow. What do you care? You fell right into the "crackpot" quote. Didnt you read that other post I made about prefacing a brag with a knock?

Childish, or not? Here's one "not." Its not gonna be put up for dissection from the intelligensia on AZ, that's for sure. That is, unless Peaches (Miss Fanatic), deems it prudent to do so. But I have faith in a womans ability to keep secrets. I doubt if she will tell her husband.

I have had very bad experiences attempting to pass this on so far. Since I am at heart such a tricky bast*rd, what I have done to judge worthiness is release the main gist to a student within the first few sentences of the lesson. I am looking for a reaction to see if they are really open to new thinking. So far, only 2 players were strong enough mentally to keep up. Brian Saleh was one. But, poor guy, he is stuck in England with nobody to play with. For example, Larry Nevel, was not. We never went past lesson one. Nice fella, great player, but dont you think he should be playing 1 pkt a little better according to his abilities? What if Artie had a stroke that could draw the cue ball five rails? I think Larry probably thought I was a crackpot too. So you have company there.

the Beard

You know what, Freddy: I've been around the Internet a tad longer than you and frankly, you wouldn't know Internet "bait" if it came up and bit you in the urology department.

I'm not so much "interested," as just being able and willing to speak my mind instead of being cowed by all the Chi-town BS you and another throw up (did I misspell something... guess not ;-) around here.

So if, in some small way, it makes you feel better to claim that I "fell" into the massively devious Internet trap you laid, have at it. Knock yourself out. I hope you feel real good about it. Because, really, it's just like all your other Windy City braggadocio. And people are starting to figure it out. Youse guys are *always* the best; *nobody* beat you; *nobody* left with the cash; you have *The Secret* to 1pocket; you are *always* the smartest; *nobody* knows what you know. Forget about NY and the entire East Coast; LA and the entire West Coast; FL; Louisville and the South, the rest of the Midwest and country.

But guess what?

It ain't flyin' no more. You've "Jumped the Shark" here.

And frankly, IMO, you are a piker when it comes to Internet battle :) So keep your secret and take it to your grave -- because as far as I can tell, that's where it belongs: six feet under.

Lou Figueroa
yawn, hope I didn't
wake anybody up

Last edited: