More Chicago stuff

RedCard

Verified Member
Some good stuff there Artie.

This is off the larger point here but:
Me and an old card mechanic were riding to a game one time when I was 17-18 or so. He told me (I was already sensing this) that if there were as many as three people in on a score the money would likely be wrong. This guy had a national reputation for being able to count right (no stealing from his partners). He had also shot several people, just to show how well-rounded he was.

If you steal from a two-way win half of what you stole was going to be legitimately yours anyway. Like was said above, it's easy enough to get it all if that's how you operate. I wouldn't do it and considered myself slightly better than those who would.

The nature of the lifestyle that goes with gambling or hustling often sees longtime acquaintances and friends fall apart over the years. It's good to see Artie stick up for his old friends, him and Freddy post some of the most interesting things here.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
RedCard said:

Me and an old card mechanic were riding to a game one time when I was 17-18 or so. He told me (I was already sensing this) that if there were as many as three people in on a score the money would likely be wrong. This guy had a national reputation for being able to count right (no stealing from his partners). He had also shot several people, just to show how well-rounded he was.

If you steal from a two-way win half of what you stole was going to be legitimately yours anyway. Like was said above, it's easy enough to get it all if that's how you operate. I wouldn't do it and considered myself slightly better than those who would.

The nature of the lifestyle that goes with gambling or hustling often sees longtime acquaintances and friends fall apart over the years. It's good to see Artie stick up for his old friends, him and Freddy post some of the most interesting things here.

Right you are and I have a post for you by the way.

Red You Win. Black You Lose. The One You Flip Is The One You Choose.
Watch It And Trace It And See Where I Place It.
If You Are Broke You're A Joke, Step Off Please.
If You Got A Little Then You're Just A Riddle
And You're Wonderin What To Do With That Little Bit Of Stew?
Bet It On The Red Card And See How You Do.
Cause It's Always The Red And Never The Black
Red Will Set You Up But The Black Will Set You Back.

Here you go sir. Your Turn. Pick a good one............

RedCard

Verified Member
Jimmy B said:
Right you are and I have a post for you by the way.

Red You Win. Black You Lose. The One You Flip Is The One You Choose.
Watch It And Trace It And See Where I Place It.
If You Are Broke You're A Joke, Step Off Please.
If You Got A Little Then You're Just A Riddle
And You're Wonderin What To Do With That Little Bit Of Stew?
Bet It On The Red Card And See How You Do.
Cause It's Always The Red And Never The Black
Red Will Set You Up But The Black Will Set You Back.

Here you go sir. Your Turn. Pick a good one............

No sir, this is not the shell game. This is a game from across the sea, lost by the Gypsies and found by me.

(To the knocking wife or girlfriend) 'You get a free pick little lady, you and her (the red queen) are related'.

Put your finger on it so he can't move it. I think you've got him this time.

Oops game's over. Somebody's been bending my cards..

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
RedCard said:

Freddy has been a player at heart his whole life. He played everything.

Even his owne slot machines. Dice cards scrable and Pinochale.

I like Freddy against anybody playing head up pinochale.

And I like race track phil in doublr dick with fredy against any body.

Billy Incardone is a good player. But I still like Freddy.

Not in pool unless maybe in banks. But the wear and tear has taken its tole on Freddy.

Freddy will play anything. Because I seen it my whole life. Backgammon whatever game thier is. Freddy has too play.

And it does not come down too winning or loosing. Its he has too play. Because he loves chalanges.

And he did great his whole life. Freddy did everything and he would jump up and play.

Weather he had a chance or not. If Bobby Fisher came in the pool room Freddy Would play him.

And Freddy playes great chess. He is real good with brainey games. And he is super intelagent.

He could have been anything in life he wanted too be.

A proffesor a musician even a singer or a dancer. He was very gifred. And did great at pool.

If he had the ability off the top players. Nobody would have beaten Freddy. Because he was smarter then the rest.

And he did great for the ability he had. And Nobody could make him dog it.

Freddy lived a ver exciting and interesting life. And he could slep any were .

Even in the worst coditions. And he played as hard as anyone to win. But you can only do what your ability alowes you too do.

And knowledge is great but with out the ability. People will not see it or belive it.

I no in my heart if I played one pocket today. And I had my top shooting ability.

None off these people could win. Nobody can win playing a freeze out making all those listakes.

And I love player that shot. Because they will make more mistakes then the players thaty dont shoot at everything.

And If I could ever shoot like the 5 top shooters. I think I would win every one pocket tournement.

I guess thats why does shooters shoot. Because they are great at it.

I never had that gping for me. I fought and strugled and out played my oponents too win.

It would be nice too shot and bank like them. But we have too play with what we are gifted with.

And Freddy played on his knowledge too. Because he didnt have the ability or talent off the top players.

If he did nobody would have beaten him playing banks. And if you ever want too no howe I played go and ask the people on the south side off Chicago.

And they will yell you the truth. But none off the people today seen me play 35 or 38 year ago. Nobody studied the game off one pocket like I did.

And I am being honest. Thier is so much more to learn about the game.

The more you learn. THe lees you no. And the more you learn. You can go deeper into the game and understand the game more.

It opens up youre mind and thinking. And you learn every little thing thier is.

And the little things can become the biggest. I realy dont think that anybody realy studies the game. By themselves.

I did a lot thats howe I learned. And I would keep doing it tell I learnd it. And thats why I say. THe longer the session the better for me.

For a lot off reasons. But look around and even in the pool rooms you go.

See if you see some one playing one pocket with themselves. If you do. I can only rell you that person will no howe too play.

And I dont mean just shooting. And Freddy. Studied Banks with a pecale and a note book.

And he wrote down everything. For someone roo do that they must realy love the game.

And Freddy loved the game. And with the ability he had he showed more heart then all the champios.

And Thats Bensingers Chicago Freddy. And He was in Bensingers before me.

And back 40 years ago everyb body new Freedy. And thier were only a hand full off tournements.

And none off these magazines or TV. But everyone new FReddy. And I never herd anyone say anything bad about him.

He gave his life too pool. And he desirves all the respect he has comeing. And Freddy can do more things good then anyone I no.

Because he played and gambled at everything. And Freddy is a winner at gambling and life.

ABMedller

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Freddy has been a player at heart his whole life. He played everything.

Even his owne slot machines. Dice cards scrable and Pinochale.

I like Freddy against anybody playing head up pinochale.

And I like race track phil in doublr dick with fredy against any body.

Billy Incardone is a good player. But I still like Freddy.

Not in pool unless maybe in banks. But the wear and tear has taken its tole on Freddy.

Freddy will play anything. Because I seen it my whole life. Backgammon whatever game thier is. Freddy has too play.

And it does not come down too winning or loosing. Its he has too play. Because he loves chalanges.

And he did great his whole life. Freddy did everything and he would jump up and play.

Weather he had a chance or not. If Bobby Fisher came in the pool room Freddy Would play him.

And Freddy playes great chess. He is real good with brainey games. And he is super intelagent.

He could have been anything in life he wanted too be.

A proffesor a musician even a singer or a dancer. He was very gifred. And did great at pool.

If he had the ability off the top players. Nobody would have beaten Freddy. Because he was smarter then the rest.

And he did great for the ability he had. And Nobody could make him dog it.

Freddy lived a ver exciting and interesting life. And he could slep any were .

Even in the worst coditions. And he played as hard as anyone to win. But you can only do what your ability alowes you too do.

And knowledge is great but with out the ability. People will not see it or belive it.

I no in my heart if I played one pocket today. And I had my top shooting ability.

None off these people could win. Nobody can win playing a freeze out making all those listakes.

And I love player that shot. Because they will make more mistakes then the players thaty dont shoot at everything.

And If I could ever shoot like the 5 top shooters. I think I would win every one pocket tournement.

I guess thats why does shooters shoot. Because they are great at it.

I never had that gping for me. I fought and strugled and out played my oponents too win.

It would be nice too shot and bank like them. But we have too play with what we are gifted with.

And Freddy played on his knowledge too. Because he didnt have the ability or talent off the top players.

If he did nobody would have beaten him playing banks. And if you ever want too no howe I played go and ask the people on the south side off Chicago.

And they will yell you the truth. But none off the people today seen me play 35 or 38 year ago. Nobody studied the game off one pocket like I did.

And I am being honest. Thier is so much more to learn about the game.

The more you learn. THe lees you no. And the more you learn. You can go deeper into the game and understand the game more.

It opens up youre mind and thinking. And you learn every little thing thier is.

And the little things can become the biggest. I realy dont think that anybody realy studies the game. By themselves.

I did a lot thats howe I learned. And I would keep doing it tell I learnd it. And thats why I say. THe longer the session the better for me.

For a lot off reasons. But look around and even in the pool rooms you go.

See if you see some one playing one pocket with themselves. If you do. I can only rell you that person will no howe too play.

And I dont mean just shooting. And Freddy. Studied Banks with a pecale and a note book.

And he wrote down everything. For someone roo do that they must realy love the game.

And Freddy loved the game. And with the ability he had he showed more heart then all the champios.

And Thats Bensingers Chicago Freddy. And He was in Bensingers before me.

And back 40 years ago everyb body new Freedy. And thier were only a hand full off tournements.

And none off these magazines or TV. But everyone new FReddy. And I never herd anyone say anything bad about him.

He gave his life too pool. And he desirves all the respect he has comeing. And Freddy can do more things good then anyone I no.

Because he played and gambled at everything. And Freddy is a winner at gambling and life.

ABMedller

Artie,

We have all heard your different opinions of Fred, but I think that is probably your true feelings toward him...Oddly enough, they are very similar to mine.

I know Freddy was a "stay in action" war horse, as I was... And I truely wish our ongoing feud had never happened. We used to get along fine,(see "Chicago Stuff thread)...As it progressed, I know I was guilty of pulling his chain, way to many times.(my bad)...But, thats what happens when you get two slate-headed, personality conflicted old timer's going at it. (see Grady/Billy I.)... He was just as insulting to me, as I was to him..(but he is better with words :mad:)

I will pass the peace pipe one more time, if he accepts, cool...If he prefers to go on jangling, ad infinitum...so be it..:(

PS..If we continue to take "cheap shots" at each other, I will not be the first one to cast a stone..(as he has often have accused me of)...Peace, Freddy..:)

PPS...Note; I have not got all my testing results back, if they prove FB was less than sincere,... I may reverse my position...:D

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
We have all heard your different opinions of Fred, but I think that is your true feelings toward him...Oddly enough, they are very similar to mine.

I know Freddy was a war horse, and I truely wish our feud had never happened. We used to get along fine,(see "Chicago Stuff thread)... I know I pulled his chain, way to many times...But, thats what happens when you get two slate-headed, personality conflicted old timer's going at it. (see Grady/Billy I.)... He was just as insulting to me, as I was to him.

I will pass the peace pipe one more time, if he accepts, cool...If he prefers to go on jangling, ad infinitum...so be it..:(

PS..If we continue to take "cheap shots" at each other, I will not be the first one to cast a stone...Peace, Freddy..:)

THats very honest and sincer. You did your part. Now its up too Freddy to do they same.

Because it taks two people too do this not one. And Feddy need to stand up and let go off the past. And go on from ger.

And if it ever happines you two will be great and glad too see each other at the Hall off fame.

And feel good that you were both willing too do the wright thing. And you both will feel better and see you did the wright thing.

And I only see one choice and that is the best for everyone on the sight and you and Freddy.

To unite and join the same team. Because all it ever was . Was only talking. And everyone wants too win. And if nobody gives in. Both sides loose.

Just like in war. Nobody realy wins.

I am proud off you for doing this. And standing up like a human being. And I hope that Freddy can do the same thing. And let all this pass by with time.

It takes a strong and cateing person . To forgive and let go off the crap.

You said ut clear and respectfull. And nobody can do it any better. And like I always say. Think. And you two could become the best friends.

Because I seen it happen before. And together everything will be better.

And if we all meet in Heaven . Howe would we feel then holding on too our crap.

Thanks again SJD for doing the wright thing and being a human being.

And everything we do and say is kepte some where. And to join together.

is a lot healthier and less stress for everyone. Its better to do things together then to go against each other.

This is the time Freddy. Too make everything ok.

And you go from her in peace and harmoney. And even pup would want you too make peace.

And let go off all the agrevation and frustration. Its your decicion just like it was SJD decision.

Nobody can do it for you. It takes both off use too make it work. And yyou have both gone through enough for 3 life times.

And by making Peace you both win. And everyone on the site.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sorry,

Sorry,

Sorry, but I read and reacted to whathisname's post on the bank pool forum before I read this thread.

SJD and I have had at least 3 truces before this. But he has broken more peace treaties than the White Man.

In life, I have had many bad moments, did many bad things, and have a few regrets --- just like everybody else! Since "he" doesnt really know me he has not commented on any of that. That stuff, since it is true, I can ride.
What I will not abide, is aspersions cast on who I knew, who I beat, who I would play, what I know, or the amount of respect I have earned in my 50 plus years in this thing of ours -- all the things that I like to think of as positives in my life. All of that is off limits.

Finally, if he stays away from me, I will stay away from him. I doubt if we will ever be pals because too much bad has gone forth without any "good" to fall back on.

Nothing like the relationship I have with people like Artie and Cardone. Artie and I have battled and done everything to each other other than throwing punches and exchanging bullets, but we also have had a history of many good and tough times together. Many laughs, and drinks, and confidences. Sometimes even the same girl. We are unable to stay mad for very long. Too much shared history and memories. Too much a part of each others lives. We were bitter rivals in the pool room, but I was never jealous of his success. As far as I was concerned, we were all Bensinger Boys and whatever success we had belonged to all of us.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Au Contraire, Fred...

Au Contraire, Fred...

fred bentivegna said:
SJD and I have had at least 3 truces before this. But he has broken more peace treaties than the White Man.

What I will not abide, is aspersions cast on who I knew, who I beat, who I would play, what I know, or the amount of respect I have earned in my 50 plus years in this thing of ours -- all the things that I like to think of as positives in my life. All of that is off limits.

Finally, if he stays away from me, I will stay away from him. I doubt if we will ever be pals because too much bad has gone forth without any "good" to fall back on.

I will not cite the reason for most of the stuff you call "bad",.. even your closest friends have pointed it out, way too often.

Beard

Thats your side of it Fred...I wish I was as good at researching past posts as RBL...Its all there in black and white...In fact you have broken the last few truces, by inserting thinly veiled innuendos, (and aspersions) about me, in posts to other people...Did you think I would not retaliate ?

Just like you Fred,...do you honestly think I do not have a circle of friends, in my 60 years of full bore action (minus 20 yrs. off, for good behavior)....Most of whom who would, and have, gone to the mat for me. (way too many, I have had to say goodbye to.) Admitedly, they were not all in the pool world, many were made during my time out. (go figure) I screwed around, and out-lived many of my solid pool buddies. (Richie Florence, Richard Austin, Jack Terry, Bananas and Puckett, to name a few)

I will do my best to abide by your very strict set of rules...However I would much rather be able to kid around with you, than walk on eggshells.

I have forgotten all the names you have called me these past few years, so I will just sign off...

SJD <---Thinks he took them all rather well...:eek:

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Thats your side of it Fred...I wish I was as good at researching past posts as RBL...Its all there in black and white...In fact you have broken the last few truces, by inserting thinly veiled innuendos, (and aspersions) about me, in posts to other people...Did you think I would not retaliate ?

Just like you Fred,...do you honestly think I do not have a circle of friends, in my 60 years of full bore action (minus 20 yrs. off, for good behavior)....Most of whom who would, and have, gone to the mat for me. (way too many, I have had to say goodbye to.) Admitedly, they were not all in the pool world, many were made during my time out. (go figure) I screwed around, and out-lived many of my solid pool buddies. (Richie Florence, Richard Austin, Jack Terry, Bananas and Puckett, to name a few)

I will do my best to abide by your very strict set of rules...However I would much rather be able to kid around with you, than walk on eggshells.

I have forgotten all the names you have called me these past few years, so I will just sign off...

SJD <---Thinks he took them all rather well...:eek:

THe best way to do the wright thing is too start out fresh.

Forget about the past and what was sayed. And dont bring up any off the old crap.

And issues. about he said this or he said that. That will just start the same crap all over again.

Let go off all the old crap. And about blaming the other person.

You are both intellegent people. And uou both no a lot off pool and seen and played a lot off pool.

You are not playing each other amy pool game. So instead off making each other feel bad.

Try makeing each other feel good. And it will work. And no matter what you think. You might become great friends.

Because you have a lot in comon. And you no a lot off the sane people.

And its worth it to be friendly. And doing things with each other. Then doing things against each other.

Life is shoet. And we want too feel good about people. Because we are the minority.

Because our age.

And you both have so much too give. And together. You can even give out more.

Witch if you are working against each other. No body will learn anything. But reading about your conflocte and didpuite.

And you both have very strong personalities. And together you you will make a big Difference.

Ywo people giving and shareing is always better then two people taring each other apart.

And I honestly belive that SJD and Freddy the beard will become good froends.

With time patence and a working relationship.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Grady said:
The only knocks I could say about Artie having been the best player in the world are: 1. Longevity, he went to Vegas and quit playing when he was young, not that that was a bad move. Maybe I should have done the same.
2. He didn't to my knowledge ever beat a top player in an extended match outside of Chicago.
Artie,

Did you ever beat a top player in an extended match outside of Chicago?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
I have forgotten all the names you have called me these past few years.
I still have a couple more days off work, half a case of beer, and three-quarters of a fifth of Jennas finest, maybe I'll get a burst of energy (not too likely:eek: ) and post 'em up.

P.S. You still owe me 3 bottles and the price just went up to $24.95:) .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
It is from an era when "Fred Bent-(out-of shape)viagra" AKA Da Beard, and I actually conversed with each other, on a friendly basis...Where did it all go so wrong...???.:p :cool:
This may have been a more appropo link [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEszTzdUMcY[/ame].

Watch the whole thing and you may see Bille flying by:) .

RBL

Skin

Verified Member
Just another bump of another epic thread from the 1p.org past. For the new folks...

Skin

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Artie played Grady on a 5' by 10' pool table $30.00 a game and Artie lost three games but Artie just started learning onepocket and Artie said he had no chance to beat Grady at that time. Artie started playing pool when he was eightteen years old not when he was a kid. The only two people that ever beat Artie playing onepocket on a 5' by 10' pool table was Poney and Grady when he was just learning and when Grady came up to northshore Artie played Grady $500.00 a game not a freeze out and they only played about five hours and Grady got four games ahead and Artie one three games in a row and Grady's backer quite one game winners. I don't call that beating someone and the next day Grady came into the club and wanted to play Artie for $100.00 a game and Artie said he will play somemore $500.00 a game or Grady can put up $10,000.00 or $20,000.00 freeze out and play 6 games ahead and then Artie told Grady to get a backer and he can win $50,000.00 or a $100,000.00 and would have had no chance to win. If Freddy had money back then and he would have backed Artie the whole city of Chicago would have backed Artie even the south side backers who backed Buggs would have backed Artie. The one thing that nobody knows that Artie had two styles of onepocket and Grady never seen Arties real game. Artie never went into gear playing Grady and calculated every shot. Nobody could have beat Artie six games ahead and nobody is going to play four thousand dollar freeze out and play for 2 1/2 days and then play $500.00 a game after 2 1/2 days. If Grady won why would he only want to play for $100.00 a game the next day and leave town when he could win a gold mine?

If somebody takes Arties bet for $30,000.00 on how to play perfect onepocket then the whole world will know how to really play the game and they will see why nobody could have beat Artie six games ahead. Take up a collection on onepocket.org and find out the truth about onepocket and let everyone improve there game. And once the truth is out about onepocket people will know how to play onepocket and they can take it to a higher level and women might start playing onepocket.

Freddy and Grady should quit stroking each other and put there energy into helping the onepocket game Freddy make up something again because we both know you wouldn't have lasted three hours watching me and grady play and the truth is you dont know what happened so admit the truth and Grady just went along with the made up story. Nobody really new how good Artie played because he didn't play in tournaments and monrow and T.R had no clue on how Artie played onepocket. If Grady won why wouldn't he come back and put up $10,000.00 or $20,000.00 and play Artie again? And Freddy is dreaming and you are part of the dream and you both deserve each other ....... Ab And i hope the two pappies have a long life together by hip by hip :D :D :D :D

Does anyone know much about this individual?? Very interesting. I, however don't agree with the part about Beard and Grady stroking each other. I didn't find it that way at all. They just remembered things a bit different about when these mighty warriors, Grady and Artie Bodendorfer, went to battle... Houston Ron only had a couple of posts, and none in over three years, I do believe, but he knew some shit I think...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Does anyone know much about this individual?? Very interesting. I, however don't agree with the part about Beard and Grady stroking each other. I didn't find it that way at all. They just remembered things a bit different about when these mighty warriors, Grady and Artie Bodendorfer, went to battle... Houston Ron only had a couple of posts, and none in over three years, I do believe, but he knew some shit I think...

If you want to dredge up this old sore, I will say again, TR McIntosh one of Grady's backers in the game with Artie at North Shore, is still alive and well in Florida. Anybody want to bet on whose account of the match is more accurate, mine or Artie's? He also has the line of Buddy Hall cuesticks. I also have his phone number.

This guy Houston Ron, I believe doesnt now and never did exist. Strange he only posted to take Arties side in the Grady issue and was never heard from again.

Let us not forget, Artie played Grady in my joint, North Shore. There was no such Houston Ron ever in there. Especially one who would remember in such detail a particular match from 30 years ago. Plus Houston Ron somehow was present at the Artie/Grady match that took place in Cochrane's pool room in San Francisco 15 years earlier! Even I didnt know the particulars of that match -- and he knew Artie from when he was 18. Around him all that time and I never knew him, even tho Artie and I hung in the same pool rooms for 15 years.

Anyone who would try and fool a Sicilian (as I am) would have to do much better than use a one-time phony witness.

Beard

The last tell: Artie himself is the only guy to spell the great player, Chicago "Pony" Rosen's name, "Poney."

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
If you want to dredge up this old sore, I will say again, TR McIntosh one of Grady's backers in the game with Artie at North Shore, is still alive and well in Florida. Anybody want to bet on whose account of the match is more accurate, mine or Artie's? He also has the line of Buddy Hall cuesticks. I also have his phone number.

This guy Houston Ron, I believe doesnt now and never did exist. Strange he only posted to take Arties side in the Grady issue and was never heard from again.

Let us not forget, Artie played Grady in my joint, North Shore. There was no such Houston Ron ever in there. Especially one who would remember in such detail a particular match from 30 years ago. Plus Houston Ron somehow was present at the Artie/Grady match that took place in Cochrane's pool room in San Francisco 15 years earlier! Even I didnt know the particulars of that match -- and he knew Artie from when he was 18. Around him all that time and I never knew him, even tho Artie and I hung in the same pool rooms for 15 years.

Anyone who would try and fool a Sicilian (as I am) would have to do much better than use a one-time phony witness.

Beard

The last tell: Artie himself is the only guy to spell the great player, Chicago "Pony" Rosen's name, "Poney."

I'm sorry. I did not mean to get you upset. I didn't dredge this up. Skin dredged this up, so newbies could review it. After reviewing it, I know you are right. This houston ron is just some piece of shit using a pseudonym. He doesn't really exist. It's just like me saying I'm Jacksonville Jimmy just because I was in Jacksonville several times. He doesn't know jack shit. I knew your account was correct all along. I don't think Artie was lying. I think he really believes his account but what hazy about it because his body was in deprivation mode. I've seen it happen. It happened to me before, when I played a guy a fifteen hr session, but had been up a long time prior us getting started. pm me if you are still upset...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'm sorry. I did not mean to get you upset. I didn't dredge this up. Skin dredged this up, so newbies could review it. After reviewing it, I know you are right. This houston ron is just some piece of shit using a pseudonym. He doesn't really exist. It's just like me saying I'm Jacksonville Jimmy just because I was in Jacksonville several times. He doesn't know jack shit. I knew your account was correct all along. I don't think Artie was lying. I think he really believes his account but what hazy about it because his body was in deprivation mode. I've seen it happen. It happened to me before, when I played a guy a fifteen hr session, but had been up a long time prior us getting started. pm me if you are still upset...

I wasnt pickin' on you, just pointing out the obvious. I do believe Artie believes his version, after all it happened 30 yrs ago. But I have had the opportunity to go over the facts with people who were there, like Grady and T.R., much more recently. Artie instead checked the facts out with --- himself.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Just another bump of another epic thread from the 1p.org past. For the new folks...

Skin

Artie's posts are pure Gold, and there are some nuggets of information that are priceless for aspiring One Pocket players. Artie does seem to have all the facts right when he starts talking about great players and who was who (although he left out Ed Kelly). Artie was cut more in the mold of Jack Cooney, who laid low most of his life, but would occasionally take on a champion. Jack has played in some of the biggest One Pocket action of all time and with good players too.

I am curious what Artie thinks of Jack's game. I suspect they have similar styles. Jack moved as good as anyone I ever saw, when he had too. Artie can be a little over the top sometimes in his posts. Like Dick said, slow down and take a breath once in a while. I'm glad Artie gave credit to the other great players of his era, but I doubt he was stealing with any of them. He was smart enough to look for softer action.

I didn't hear too many stories of Artie beating top players back then, and my ear was tuned into the grapevine pretty good in those days. I wish I had seen Artie play and maybe I did and didn't realize who he was. He laid it down pretty good.

If he had run into San Jose Dick on the West Coast he would have remembered him though. Out here, everyone knew that name. He was the second most well known One Pocket player after RA.

Jay

I think Skin came up with an excellent thread 'from the past'...Not necessesarily for all the negative's contained therein, but to explain the genesis of how the ongoing feud began between the two biggest 'feuder's on this site actually began.

'Feuder #1' knew better than to publicly question Jay Helfert's recall, on ANYTHING pool related. But it should be noted that, for some reason (possibly his last paragraph)..this became the catalyst for his, (#1's) allout attempt to disparage, and belittle 'Feuder #2's, credability on, well, just about ANYTHING pool related !...Note; As #1 has pointed out, at least 50 times, (and always seconded by Mr. Pincushion)...It just may have been fortunate for Mr. Hopkins, that HE, had never heard of Mr. Mc Morran. :p

I say this in my defense, and to further another point Jay was trying to assert...He seemed to hint, that #1 and AB's, chosen environment, was NOT necessesarily the 'center of the pool universe', and a LOT of people, myself included, had never even heard of (gasp)..THEM..:sorry

SuperDuck #2

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Artie played Grady on a 5' by 10' pool table $30.00 a game and Artie lost three games but Artie just started learning onepocket and Artie said he had no chance to beat Grady at that time. Artie started playing pool when he was eightteen years old not when he was a kid. The only two people that ever beat Artie playing onepocket on a 5' by 10' pool table was Poney and Grady when he was just learning and when Grady came up to northshore Artie played Grady $500.00 a game not a freeze out and they only played about five hours and Grady got four games ahead and Artie one three games in a row and Grady's backer quite one game winners. I don't call that beating someone and the next day Grady came into the club and wanted to play Artie for $100.00 a game and Artie said he will play somemore $500.00 a game or Grady can put up $10,000.00 or $20,000.00 freeze out and play 6 games ahead and then Artie told Grady to get a backer and he can win $50,000.00 or a $100,000.00 and would have had no chance to win. If Freddy had money back then and he would have backed Artie the whole city of Chicago would have backed Artie even the south side backers who backed Buggs would have backed Artie. The one thing that nobody knows that Artie had two styles of onepocket and Grady never seen Arties real game. Artie never went into gear playing Grady and calculated every shot. Nobody could have beat Artie six games ahead and nobody is going to play four thousand dollar freeze out and play for 2 1/2 days and then play $500.00 a game after 2 1/2 days. If Grady won why would he only want to play for $100.00 a game the next day and leave town when he could win a gold mine?

If somebody takes Arties bet for $30,000.00 on how to play perfect onepocket then the whole world will know how to really play the game and they will see why nobody could have beat Artie six games ahead. Take up a collection on onepocket.org and find out the truth about onepocket and let everyone improve there game. And once the truth is out about onepocket people will know how to play onepocket and they can take it to a higher level and women might start playing onepocket.

Freddy and Grady should quit stroking each other and put there energy into helping the onepocket game Freddy make up something again because we both know you wouldn't have lasted three hours watching me and grady play and the truth is you dont know what happened so admit the truth and Grady just went along with the made up story. Nobody really new how good Artie played because he didn't play in tournaments and monrow and T.R had no clue on how Artie played onepocket. If Grady won why wouldn't he come back and put up $10,000.00 or $20,000.00 and play Artie again? And Freddy is dreaming and you are part of the dream and you both deserve each other ....... Ab And i hope the two pappies have a long life together by hip by hip :D :D :D :D

Did anyone happen to notice this?

I think it looks like an oops!