More Chicago stuff

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
To the poolgods from one of the great unwashed..

To the poolgods from one of the great unwashed..

Legends of pool, please hear my plea, your thunder and lighting is raining on the masses of your followers,those whose seek "THE RUN", the running of racks on any tracks.
you legends have dedicated your lives to perfecting a singular art,mastery of the cue,mastery of the game .sometimes the cue wins sometime the game..these immutable laws were written by nature and have been warring each since the dawn if time..you ,legends have fought your battles well and deserve now to rest on your laurels...ARCHER AND STRICKLAND have been past the task of continuing the contest..others wait there turn in the arena..it WILL
NEVER END..isn't that great! WE THE GREAT UNWASHED get to watch the action , and bet on the rail....ALL HAIL THE POOLGODS !!!!! and thanks for the entertainment....rackem

"My tithe is in the mail."
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
8,709
cashrider said:
ALL HAIL THE POOLGODS !!!!! and thanks for the entertainment....rackem

"My tithe is in the mail."

Hey cashrider, I'm only a Demi-God.....does that still qualify me for a snap, uh, I mean a tithe from you ?........:D

- Ghost
 

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
Absolutely ! !

Absolutely ! !

One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey cashrider, I'm only a Demi-God.....does that still qualify me for a snap, uh, I mean a tithe from you ?........:D

- Ghost
l take the 5 out and you can have the snap "and if the 9ball hits the headrail you win.and let the tithing begin:) ....oh yea l rackem.
 

jay helfert

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
532
wincardona said:
Freddie is the greatest story teller in life,Grady is one of the greatest one pocket players ever, Artie is also one of the greatest one pocket players to ever play the game ,and clearly the smartest player ever in life. So now you have the answer,so figure it out for yourselves.
When Cardone says you're the smartest player ever, that got my attention. Because I thought he was! :cool:

Ronnie was pretty clever too. I never saw anyone who could "drum up" business better than him. He could go into a dead bar and have everyone in the joint betting within an hour. And when he made a score, they would be begging him to come back. I saw this happen on more than one occasion, and I still don't understand how he did it to this day.

And Ronnie understood matching up pretty well too. He knew what kind of weight he could give up and still win. But his biggest scores were when he "outran" the nuts, as he would like to say. Back then, everyone thought the break was worth two balls. I can tell this now because Ronnie is not really RA anymore. Ronnie told me that if he got the break it was worth FOUR balls. So he would give good players games like 10-6 and take the break. They thought they were getting a lot of weight, but in actuality they weren't.

That's also why he played some very strong players even up One Pocket, his one hand to their two, and Ronnie got the break. They couldn't win and they didn't know it. Until it was too late.
 

philwelch

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
323
I haven't been to this site in 2 weeks and now I start reading this thread and
I think it has taken about 1 1/2 hours. What a thread!!!! I never saw Artie play but I heard about him like he was a god and that was mostly from Freddy! I think Artie has to come out of retirement and play a challenge match on The Action Report.com Artie vs. Grady and Freddy should commentate along with Billy Incardona. How about it fellows?
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,568
philwelch said:
I haven't been to this site in 2 weeks and now I start reading this thread and
I think it has taken about 1 1/2 hours. What a thread!!!! I never saw Artie play but I heard about him like he was a god and that was mostly from Freddy! I think Artie has to come out of retirement and play a challenge match on The Action Report.com Artie vs. Grady and Freddy should commentate along with Billy Incardona. How about it fellows?
I'm not sure you got that quite right. Even better might be a double billing with Cardone vs Grady and Freddy vs Artie. Of course, these guys would all have to be mic'd!

But much better than either of these match-ups would be a $30,000 challenge demonstration between these guys as to who could show the most knowledge of the game. I'd pay something significant for that!!
 

Grady

Verified Member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
491
I'll play

I'll play

Better yet, how about San Jose Dick and me against Cardone and Artie?
 

Grady

Verified Member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
491
I forgot!!!

I forgot!!!

Two stipulations and I seriously would play: 1. a 40 second shot clock and 2. They HAVE to coach.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Grady said:
Better yet, how about San Jose Dick and me against Cardone and Artie?
I would love to play grady and dick. I havent plated in about25 years. Ans If Billy wants to play partners and thinks we have a chance I will LOVE TO PLAY. All billy has to say ok. Tell me how much what kind of session. And I dont care what table. I dont no how dick playes and dont care. If billy wants to play. I will play. And I hope if we play you will bet something. Not no 200 hundred dollares a game. Thats to far to fly to play that cheap. And I am not interested in glory. JUST CASH. Have billy answer and I will play and I dont even talk to billy. And I would play with Fredy as a partner but I dont want to rob you guys. I want to make sure you have a chance. And Freedy would want to play banks. And I would think about that.Frddy loves banks and I cant bank and you guys will have a edge but two Genussies against to papies we mite have a chance. And we can even play you partners in double deck penockale. Unless you are only pool players.
I will play but we are not going to play for fun or sociable Cash is the name of the game.I hope billy will answer I no he loves to play Grady And Billy asked Grady YOU GOT TO SHOOT.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
NH Steve said:
I'm not sure you got that quite right. Even better might be a double billing with Cardone vs Grady and Freddy vs Artie. Of course, these guys would all have to be mic'd!

But much better than either of these match-ups would be a $30,000 challenge demonstration between these guys as to who could show the most knowledge of the game. I'd pay something significant for that!!
I hope we can get the 30 thousand dollar match on and all you people can learn all over again the correct waqy to play one pocket. Even though it wont help you to become a champion because you have lost to much of your ability. But for the young plaYERS AND THE YOUNG CHAMPIONS IT WILL BE A BIG HELP. bUT BEFORE YOUR JOURNY ENDS YOU WILL NO HOW TO PLAY ONE POCKET CORRECTLY. Knowledge and thinking is the ony way to improve once you have reached your shooting potential. I would fly 2 thousand miles and give up the correct way to play one pocket. The world needs it I have it and thats life. If someone had the cure for cancer do you think someone would pay for it? This isnt as important as finding a cure for cancer. But it is important for someone who realy wants to no how to raly play the game of one pocket. AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED.And it is a cheap price to pay. Or yopu cand spend thousands of dollares for lession and practicing and not no what you need to no. And you can tape it and sell it to the chinesse the mite pay a fourtune for it . Because the are great at coping and perfection and tecneek. But that is what I have to ofer. And they only thing you will need to sorrect is my spelling. And mor people will get interested in playing one pocket. Even the women. Knowing how to play correctly is more important then watching the two best player playing each other and you will learn morefrom the correct way to play one pocket and you will understand the game better to then learning and watching the two best player. And you will even see the mistakes the are making ahead of time.
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,532
One Pocket Art said:
I hope we can get the 30 thousand dollar match on and all you people can learn all over again the correct waqy to play one pocket. Even though it wont help you to become a champion because you have lost to much of your ability. But for the young plaYERS AND THE YOUNG CHAMPIONS IT WILL BE A BIG HELP. bUT BEFORE YOUR JOURNY ENDS YOU WILL NO HOW TO PLAY ONE POCKET CORRECTLY. Knowledge and thinking is the ony way to improve once you have reached your shooting potential. I would fly 2 thousand miles and give up the correct way to play one pocket. The world needs it I have it and thats life. If someone had the cure for cancer do you think someone would pay for it? This isnt as important as finding a cure for cancer. But it is important for someone who realy wants to no how to raly play the game of one pocket. AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED.And it is a cheap price to pay. Or yopu cand spend thousands of dollares for lession and practicing and not no what you need to no. And you can tape it and sell it to the chinesse the mite pay a fourtune for it . Because the are great at coping and perfection and tecneek. But that is what I have to ofer. And they only thing you will need to sorrect is my spelling. And mor people will get interested in playing one pocket. Even the women. Knowing how to play correctly is more important then watching the two best player playing each other and you will learn morefrom the correct way to play one pocket and you will understand the game better to then learning and watching the two best player. And you will even see the mistakes the are making ahead of time.
This facinates me. I have played pool for 55+ years and one pocket for a good part of that. Never was a champion, but a good solid player, and still play pretty good for 69 years old. I can watch how an opponent plays and adjust my game to best compete with him and have a better chance of winning. I have never seen Artie play. I have heard of him of course, and followed all of his posts on here. Can their be some secret knowledge that can be taught that will make you superior to all other players? If I was younger and thought there was, I might pay it.

I hope the partners game comes off. We need to get some old guys in the spotlight.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
jrhendy said:
This facinates me. I have played pool for 55+ years and one pocket for a good part of that. Never was a champion, but a good solid player, and still play pretty good for 69 years old. I can watch how an opponent plays and adjust my game to best compete with him and have a better chance of winning. I have never seen Artie play. I have heard of him of course, and followed all of his posts on here. Can their be some secret knowledge that can be taught that will make you superior to all other players? If I was younger and thought there was, I might pay it.

I hope the partners game comes off. We need to get some old guys in the spotlight.
I remember when Sammie U banks was playing Gar up in Phils Bobby and Freddys club and bugs best friend Paul Jones was coaching Sammie playing Garr. And Paul Jones said that their is no way Sammie can beat Garr playing with a coach. And the ouite playing because samie didnt win a game. And Samie asked me if I would couch him and I told Sammie ok. And I told Sammie to raise the bet because I was the only one that knew Sammie could win with me couching him. But I didnt tell Sammie or anybody that Sammie could win. Sammie beat Garr 8 games in a row for good money he never lost a game. And Paul Jones said I dont belive what I just saw. And I told Paul you have to coach a person acording to his ability. You cannot have a person shooting shots that Efrin and Cliff And Scott frost would shoot because the dont have the ability to execute the shot. So you play a no mistake style that he will be able to ececute and not make any mistakes and you will see it works perfect with two week players. Because knowing what to do will win the money. Not shooting fancey trick shots and shoots the cant execute. THe have to shoot shots acording to their ability. And what I am saying can be proven with two players with equal ability and each player has a couch. And the most knowlegable couch will win. Another words I dont no how Johnny Archer playes one pocket. But with me couching him he will be able to beat a lot of good players. I dont mean like Scott Frost Or Cliff or Efrin or Parica or Gab owenes. But he will be able to beat the players a little below them. And with 6 monthes of hard playing and training he will be in their class because of his learning and knowledge.Because he has the talent and ability to compete with them. All he is doing is lackng the Knowledge. And who knows he mite even like one pocket more then all the other games. And I dont thjink he could do it on his owen. And it would take him years to learen to be in the champions class. All he needs is the knowledge and he will be wright their with them. And he should pass them up because of what he will know. And if sombody whats to back him for lessions I will teach him. And if The result doesnt show then dont pay me a nickle. But he will be very satisfied. And he will be very happy with his knew knowledge. And he can use it in all games. And If you do not belive my story with SAmmie U banks and Garr Ask Sammie or someone that was their or the can ask Sammie. THe story was 100% correct. ANd any scepticale person would say it was a set up trap. Get the true answer from SAmmie. And all SAmmie new he won he doesnt even no why.And he was the happest kid in the block.
 

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
1,860
One Pocket Art said:
I hope we can get the 30 thousand dollar match on and all you people can learn all over again the correct waqy to play one pocket. Even though it wont help you to become a champion because you have lost to much of your ability. But for the young plaYERS AND THE YOUNG CHAMPIONS IT WILL BE A BIG HELP. bUT BEFORE YOUR JOURNY ENDS YOU WILL NO HOW TO PLAY ONE POCKET CORRECTLY. Knowledge and thinking is the ony way to improve once you have reached your shooting potential. I would fly 2 thousand miles and give up the correct way to play one pocket. The world needs it I have it and thats life. If someone had the cure for cancer do you think someone would pay for it? This isnt as important as finding a cure for cancer. But it is important for someone who realy wants to no how to raly play the game of one pocket. AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED.And it is a cheap price to pay. Or yopu cand spend thousands of dollares for lession and practicing and not no what you need to no. And you can tape it and sell it to the chinesse the mite pay a fourtune for it . Because the are great at coping and perfection and tecneek. But that is what I have to ofer. And they only thing you will need to sorrect is my spelling. And mor people will get interested in playing one pocket. Even the women. Knowing how to play correctly is more important then watching the two best player playing each other and you will learn morefrom the correct way to play one pocket and you will understand the game better to then learning and watching the two best player. And you will even see the mistakes the are making ahead of time.

lol

You know, I haven't been keeping up with all this, but even with just a quick read, if you parse it just right... you can figure out a lot of what's going on here, via Artie's own words ;-)


...beat the MARKS. And the carnies think everybody is a sucker, but them. And if you lose all the time, I can't make you a winner. Losing more money than what you win puts you in the MARK category.... Lots of people are addicted to losing and they keep losing theirs whole life. And if you win at one thing and lose your money in another thing, that still makes you a sucker, even if you win your money from suckers.

The greatest lesson you can learn in life is: don't lose at anything. And if you lose more then you win, you need to change games. If you are a good hustler, you can talk anybody into anything just keep talking till you get what you need to win, or don't play. Never play a game that you have the worst of the percentages. Because the result will be minus. Why would you want to play something you cant win at. And only suckers play to get lucky. Because that's their excuse for losing....

And they did it all by talking. The carnivals were my learning experience. If you cant win, don't play. And everybody is a potential mark.

I have a million stories and events -- what we did to win. It prepared me for life. Not for a book education, but a street education were you can survive in any country or city by knowing what to do. Hustling is glamours and exciting -- that's why Minnesota Fats always got Willie Mosconi's goat. Even though Fats couldn't beat Willie Mosconi in no pool game. He did it all by talking.

And remember: only suckers gamble to get lucky. Because the final result will be: you will lose all your money. And you have to hustle hard, or win a tournament to get more money to lose on a game you will not win at. If you think what I am writing is not the truth, or boring, I will stop right here and not go any further. And if one person learns something, I will be happy. And I am sorry if I offended or hurt someone's feelings.



OK. So I learned something :) Thanks, Artie.

Lou Figueroa
 

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
One Pocket Art said:
I remember when Sammie U banks was playing Gar up in Phils Bobby and Freddys club and bugs best friend Paul Jones was coaching Sammie playing Garr. And Paul Jones said that their is no way Sammie can beat Garr playing with a coach. And the ouite playing because samie didnt win a game. And Samie asked me if I would couch him and I told Sammie ok. And I told Sammie to raise the bet because I was the only one that knew Sammie could win with me couching him. But I didnt tell Sammie or anybody that Sammie could win. Sammie beat Garr 8 games in a row for good money he never lost a game. And Paul Jones said I dont belive what I just saw. And I told Paul you have to coach a person acording to his ability. You cannot have a person shooting shots that Efrin and Cliff And Scott frost would shoot because the dont have the ability to execute the shot. So you play a no mistake style that he will be able to ececute and not make any mistakes and you will see it works perfect with two week players. Because knowing what to do will win the money. Not shooting fancey trick shots and shoots the cant execute. THe have to shoot shots acording to their ability. And what I am saying can be proven with two players with equal ability and each player has a couch. And the most knowlegable couch will win. Another words I dont no how Johnny Archer playes one pocket. But with me couching him he will be able to beat a lot of good players. I dont mean like Scott Frost Or Cliff or Efrin or Parica or Gab owenes. But he will be able to beat the players a little below them. And with 6 monthes of hard playing and training he will be in their class because of his learning and knowledge.Because he has the talent and ability to compete with them. All he is doing is lackng the Knowledge. And who knows he mite even like one pocket more then all the other games. And I dont thjink he could do it on his owen. And it would take him years to learen to be in the champions class. All he needs is the knowledge and he will be wright their with them. And he should pass them up because of what he will know. And if sombody whats to back him for lessions I will teach him. And if The result doesnt show then dont pay me a nickle. But he will be very satisfied. And he will be very happy with his knew knowledge. And he can use it in all games. And If you do not belive my story with SAmmie U banks and Garr Ask Sammie or someone that was their or the can ask Sammie. THe story was 100% correct. ANd any scepticale person would say it was a set up trap. Get the true answer from SAmmie. And all SAmmie new he won he doesnt even no why.And he was the happest kid in the block.
....................poolgod,.........now thats a blessin........rackem.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
jrhendy said:
This facinates me. I have played pool for 55+ years and one pocket for a good part of that. Never was a champion, but a good solid player, and still play pretty good for 69 years old. I can watch how an opponent plays and adjust my game to best compete with him and have a better chance of winning. I have never seen Artie play. I have heard of him of course, and followed all of his posts on here. Can their be some secret knowledge that can be taught that will make you superior to all other players? If I was younger and thought there was, I might pay it.

I hope the partners game comes off. We need to get some old guys in the spotlight.
John,

I, for one, would be very surprised if there were a "Holy Grail" of one pocket. Arty B. is somewhat complimentary about the great player's of his era,(even though he played VERY few of them) however his main hero appears to be Arty himself. Nothing wrong with having a healthy ego, but to praise the great one pocket player's, past and present, in one sentence, and in the next, say that HE is the only one who ever REALLY knew the game, is just a little hard for me to take.
Like you John, I consider myself a pretty solid student of the game. And also like you, I HAVE squared off with some of the best.
Apparently the Beard also believes in this "magic" formula. If I were in my prime, and could afford it, I really doubt that I'd be buying $30,000 worth of snake oil.( Arty does admit to being a con man, doesn't he ?)
I would also question his take on Chicago being the center of the One Pocket universe. Didn't a Few good player's come out of Oklahoma, Texas, and both Coast's ? Chicago certainly might be the "center" of egoist's who think they are a lot smarter than than us "common" folk's. :rolleyes: JMHO

Dick

P.S. Not talking about you Ghost, or Phil. :)
 
Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
One thing is for sure here folks. This is the most interesting thread ever posted on OP.O and is getting better all the time. I don’t pay to watch many pool matches. The only ones I do pay for are one pocket matches or everything at the DCC. My back has made it impossible for me to get out any more, geographically or pool wise.

I lived in the Chicago area from 1979 till 1999 and have had many opportunities to watch Artie play one pocket at North Shore Billiards and other places. He was a great player for sure. I also watched him destroy Mike Massey playing one handed 8 ball. Mike never won a game.
If this partners game can come to fruition, I will dig deep to watch it. If, as Steve says, they are all wired for sound. This is something all the old scuffs will pay to see if they are notified of it in advance. I will do my part to let them know.

Artie & Billy vs. Grady & Dick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, To quote Apollo Creed, “Sounds like a damn monster movie”.
 

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
hemicudas said:
One thing is for sure here folks. This is the most interesting thread ever posted on OP.O and is getting better all the time. I don’t pay to watch many pool matches. The only ones I do pay for are one pocket matches or everything at the DCC. My back has made it impossible for me to get out any more, geographically or pool wise.

I lived in the Chicago area from 1979 till 1999 and have had many opportunities to watch Artie play one pocket at North Shore Billiards and other places. He was a great player for sure. I also watched him destroy Mike Massey playing one handed 8 ball. Mike never won a game.
If this partners game can come to fruition, I will dig deep to watch it. If, as Steve says, they are all wired for sound. This is something all the old scuffs will pay to see if they are notified of it in advance. I will do my part to let them know.

Artie & Billy vs. Grady & Dick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, To quote Apollo Creed, “Sounds like a damn monster movie”.

.gods will out.....rackem.
 

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
Dick Mc Morran said:
John,

I, for one, would be very surprised if there were a "Holy Grail" of one pocket. Arty B. is somewhat complimentary about the great player's of his era,(even though he played VERY few of them) however his main hero appears to be Arty himself. Nothing wrong with having a healthy ego, but to praise the great one pocket player's, past and present, in one sentence, and in the next, say that HE is the only one who ever REALLY knew the game, is just a little hard for me to take.
Like you John, I consider myself a pretty solid student of the game. And also like you, I HAVE squared off with some of the best.
Apparently the Beard also believes in this "magic" formula. If I were in my prime, and could afford it, I really doubt that I'd be buying $30,000 worth of snake oil.
I would also question his take on Chicago being the center of the One Pocket universe. Didn't a Few good player's come out of Oklahoma, Texas, and both Coast's ? Chicago certainly might be the "center" of egoist's who think they are a lot smarter than than us "common" folk's. :rolleyes: JMHO

Dick

P.S. Not talking about you Ghost, or Phil. :)


..........Artie must be resting,but he may be a light sleeper, uh oh.........
 

cashrider

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
35
l'm channeling Artie...........

l'm channeling Artie...........

in his absence l dare to speak for him , according to his writings he had zero in interest in getting in a match wtih a champion why bother with tuff action when there were suckers-a-plenty............Artie says "He was about the Cash" .........on the other hand l'm sure the champions knew of him ..how many went looking for him ? ...forgive me my impudence poolgod .but l must represent.rest well.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Nice place to visit, but..........

Nice place to visit, but..........

cashrider said:
in his absence l dare to speak for him , according to his writings he had zero in interest in getting in a match wtih a champion why bother with tuff action when there were suckers-a-plenty............Artie says "He was about the Cash" .........on the other hand l'm sure the champions knew of him ..how many went looking for him ? ...forgive me my impudence poolgod .but l must represent.rest well.
Cashrider, If you have ever experienced the "joy" of playing in Bensinger's, you would understand why nobody EVER went looking for ANYTHING there. Even Freddie and Grady will attest to that. :eek:

Dick
 
Top