Monthly Jamboree Kicks off with 34

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
The Hard Times Monthly Jamboree kicks off the new year with 34 players. WOW. From Reno, Upstate California and the Bay Area.. all over 100 miles from Sacramento.

Rafael, Billy Palmer, Chris MacDonald, Warren Costanza, Jeff Heath, Jeff Gregory and of course John Henderson, just to name a few.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SactownTom said:
The Hard Times Monthly Jamboree kicks off the new year with 34 players. WOW. From Reno, Upstate California and the Bay Area.. all over 100 miles from Sacramento.

Rafael, Billy Palmer, Chris MacDonald, Warren Costanza, Jeff Heath, Jeff Gregory and of course John Henderson, just to name a few.
Yet another great turnout -- a tip of the One Pocket hat to Hard Times!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
NH Steve said:
Yet another great turnout -- a tip of the One Pocket hat to Hard Times!

I did not start the new year off too well, getting knocked out in three matches. Final four when I left was Amar Kang, Tommy Toogood, Billy Palmer and Jeff Heath. Jeff Gregory may have still been in also.

Back for the 9 ball today. Need to get in stroke for the DCC.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
I did not start the new year off too well, getting knocked out in three matches. Final four when I left was Amar Kang, Tommy Toogood, Billy Palmer and Jeff Heath. Jeff Gregory may have still been in also.

Back for the 9 ball today. Need to get in stroke for the DCC.

I see the Baby won a tournament at Cal. Billiards...Has he been hard to live with ?...(I mean more than usual)...:rolleyes:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
I see the Baby won a tournament at Cal. Billiards...Has he been hard to live with ?...(I mean more than usual)...:rolleyes:

He did win a nice 9 ball tournament. He lasted about as long as I did yesterday.

Some of these guys we have been beating on for years are coming around and figured out anyone can win a race to two and don't lay down for us like they used to.

Now if we can only get them to start gambling a little more we might make up the prize money we used to share that is now going to some of the new up and comers.

This website, DVD's and streaming of top players matches is raising the quality of local players and it is good to see more of them jumping in the tournaments.

Raphael and Billy Palmer used to own these tournaments with several of us right behind them every month, but with Amar starting to play at a high level again and the improvement of some of the other players, this is getting to be a very tough tournament every month.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
$1210 prize fund

1st $375 Amar Kang
2nd $250 Tommy Soria
3rd $175 Jeff Heath
4th $120 Billy Palmer
5th tie $85 Bee Davison and Jeff Gregory
7th tie $60 Josh Palmer and Ron Lilies

FYI... the 9 ball tournament had only31 players.. Lots of bad weather today in the northern California area.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
There was also a nice turnout for the one pocket at The Hard times in Bellflower over the weekend. About 30 entries. I came in fourth, losing my final match to One Pocket Rich. This game is not so exhausting on the Wei table.

Last month there were 32. It's good to see some of the young players willing to get in there and mix it up with the seasoned one pockets players.

I love this game of one hole. I wish i would have took it more serious long ago. I'm learning something new almost daily. One thing I've noticed is that you need a dose of some rotation games in your schedule because in one pocket sooner or later you're going to have to shoot at your hole.

I went back for more on Sunday for the nine ball tournament with a field of nearly 90. I was still playing at midnight, after losing my first match. I finally ran out of steam and lost to Louie Ulrich. I did well in both tourneys but now I'll need a week to recover.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Frank Almanza said:
There was also a nice turnout for the one pocket at The Hard times in Bellflower over the weekend. About 30 entries. I came in fourth, losing my final match to One Pocket Rich. This game is not so exhausting on the Wei table.

Last month there were 32. It's good to see some of the young players willing to get in there and mix it up with the seasoned one pockets players.

I love this game of one hole. I wish i would have took it more serious long ago. I'm learning something new almost daily. One thing I've noticed is that you need a dose of some rotation games in your schedule because in one pocket sooner or later you're going to have to shoot at your hole.

I went back for more on Sunday for the nine ball tournament with a field of nearly 90. I was still playing at midnight, after losing my first match. I finally ran out of steam and lost to Louie Ulrich. I did well in both tourneys but now I'll need a week to recover.

I agree about the rotation games and having to go for your hole.

I almost wish we played the monthly one pocket on Sunday and the 9 ball on Saturday so I could pocket balls a little better in one pocket. Raphael knocked me out of both tournaments, but I had chances against him and couldn't get there. My pc against him and Billy Palmer are not too good and now we have to fade Amar back in stroke. In fact, he has been terrorizing both of them lately and winning most of the tournaments.

California Billiard Club in Mtn View has their monthly on the third Sat/Sunday of the month and are going to one pocket only and try to make a two day tournament out of it with more $$ in the pot. I hope the players support it because it would bring a larger one pocket tournament to the area once a month.

I go down for two or three days a month now because they have a 6 x 12 snooker table with golf action and plenty of one pocket games for me.

I don't always win but I pretty much get to bet what I want. I am stuck pretty good at $100/$10 a game golf and will be back again next week to try again.

They are hosting the Chet Itow Memorial 9 ball tournament the 15th/16th and there should be lots of players in town and some golf/one pocket action.

Hope you and some other LA guys come up. You could stay with me but I'm 2 1/2 hours away and will stay down there for the tournament and the action.

senor

Verified Member
BUD GREEN said:
Looks like the old Amar is back. Anyone know if he is going to DCC?

I wonder if that means the Grillz is gone? ;)

frmn

Verified Member
frank ,what are the details on those monthly tourneys in bellflower. is it the first weekend of the month? thanks in advance. frmn

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
frmn said:
frank ,what are the details on those monthly tourneys in bellflower. is it the first weekend of the month? thanks in advance. frmn
The nine ball is on the first Sunday of the month and the one pocket is the day before(Saturday). Entry for the one pocket is $20 race to two and single elimination with a field of around 25 to 30 for the one hole. I wish it was a race to three or double elimination race to two.
The Nine ball is a $30 entry, race to five on winner side and race to four on loser side. A select group of top player have to win an extra game. The field is usually around 80 to 90 players.

There also is a regular nine ball Sunday tournament every week with races to 7.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
...I go down for two or three days a month now because they have a 6 x 12 snooker table with golf action and plenty of one pocket games for me.

I don't always win but I pretty much get to bet what I want. I am stuck pretty good at $100/$10 a game golf and will be back again next week to try again.

They are hosting the Chet Itow Memorial 9 ball tournament the 15th/16th and there should be lots of players in town and some golf/one pocket action...
John, during the mid/late 90's there was practically zero action in all of CA. Now it seems like there's action in the Peninsula, Sacto area, and the L.A. area. Geez, have you single-handedly ignited action in the whole state???;)

Doc