Missing ball in hand in one pocket

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
It's almost unbelievable. My opponent hands me a huge advantage or opportunity to go on a run, and my pocketing % is literally about 50%.

Am I the only one who this happens to?

I am sure it has something to do with putting too much pressure on myself. Or doing something differently in my shot routine (which I don't have lol).

Or... Or...

All I know is I must be a mental patient.

Anyone? Has this happened to you?

Do you have any tricks for managing Ball-In-Hand shots in 1p?

Thanks

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Mitch, just keep posting that kind of talk and you are sure to get an extra ball or two at the derby.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Years ago I had this problem, it got so bad that I finally started dropping the CB in the area and shooting from where it stopped.
I believe it's caused by trying to get to perfect for position.

I now place the CB straight in and take a little tougher shot next. It works pretty well now.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mitch, just keep posting that kind of talk and you are sure to get an extra ball or two at the derby.

ABC Keith. Always be closing 😇. I wish I was making this up though.

Years ago I had this problem, it got so bad that I finally started dropping the CB in the area and shooting from where it stopped.

I now place the CB straight in and take a little tougher shot next. It works pretty well now.

Rod- thank you very much. Helps a lot to know its not just me. And especially you, who's game I respect a ton. You may be right about thinking too much about position. I will try to focus more on the first shot and not on perfect position.

Who can spot Mitch in the picture?...:heh ----->

Depends on the day Luke. I could be any of them.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's almost unbelievable. My opponent hands me a huge advantage or opportunity to go on a run, and my pocketing % is literally about 50%.

I am sure it has something to do with putting too much pressure on myself. Or doing something differently in my shot routine (which I don't have lol).

Or... Or...

Thanks

Someone smarter than me (I checked, there actually are a few) said when having ball-in-hand behind the line if you shoot at your pocket, always shoot at either the ball closest to you or the one closest to the pocket. This is a critical shot because if you do miss from here you'll almost always give up a shot because there's rarely any safety % in your thinking.

A shorter way of saying this might be: You're trying to do too much.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Now I know for sure Mitch has been secretly studying my game and those misses has carried over to his game:heh

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Or... Or...

Thanks

Mitch

This happens to everyone sooner or later. I believe it comes from you putting too much pressure on yourself, stemming from fear of missing and leaving your opponent an open table.

With ball in hand, your make/miss percentage will not change that much if you change a straight in shot to a cut shot that gets your CB safe (and maybe shape on another ball down table). This should reduce the heat on the shot and build confidence.:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Someone smarter than me (I checked, there actually are a few) said when having ball-in-hand behind the line if you shoot at your pocket, always shoot at either the ball closest to you or the one closest to the pocket. This is a critical shot because if you do miss from here you'll almost always give up a shot because there's rarely any safety % in your thinking.

interesting. makes sense. thanks john.
:)

keoneyo

Verified Member
What has worked for me in this situation is that I totally focus on fundamentals. I get down and don't move my body. I line up the ball to the pocket and have hole and ball in focus and take extra strokes to make sure I am balanced and breathing properly. Synching my movements with my breathing.

This has worked for me playing 14.1. I used to be faced with a long straight shot and it was the game breaker. Miss and you leave the rack. But focus on that shot and you put the nail in the coffin of your opponent.

Take your time. Stay down. Breathe properly.

beatle

Verified Member
you miss those because you choke as you rate your shots by the value and that puts pressure.
just shoot the shot like it was for free.

as soon as you change your routine and thinking your muscles react differently and your stroke changes. no good.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thanks brother John.

Mitch

This happens to everyone sooner or later. I believe it comes from you putting too much pressure on yourself, stemming from fear of missing and leaving your opponent an open table.

With ball in hand, your make/miss percentage will not change that much if you change a straight in shot to a cut shot that gets your CB safe (and maybe shape on another ball down table). This should reduce the heat on the shot and build confidence.:)

Thanks Moose.

What has worked for me in this situation is that I totally focus on fundamentals. I get down and don't move my body. I line up the ball to the pocket and have hole and ball in focus and take extra strokes to make sure I am balanced and breathing properly. Synching my movements with my breathing.

This has worked for me playing 14.1. I used to be faced with a long straight shot and it was the game breaker. Miss and you leave the rack. But focus on that shot and you put the nail in the coffin of your opponent.

Take your time. Stay down. Breathe properly.

This is great Keone. So true about the breathing. I know when I am out of rhythm but need to force myself to get up when that happens. Your last 3 points are huge and will I know will help if I ingrain them.

you miss those because you choke as you rate your shots by the value and that puts pressure.

just shoot the shot like it was for free.

as soon as you change your routine and thinking your muscles react differently and your stroke changes. no good.

Thank you very much beatle. Your posts are always direct and to the point. As usual you make great sense. I will try to implement as well. I'm sure you're right.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I've had to go this route myself. Beatle is right about putting extra pressure on oneself. I have to take the shot that I believe I'm most likely to make, rather than, sometimes, the best shot in terms of position. Like Keone, I try to concentrate on fundamentals, alignment, and a good follow through.

Oh, and it helps to be 35...:D

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Lemme belabor the obvious here. The fact that you have a shot at your pocket doesn't mean it's your best choice - especially if you don't really like it. Often there are much better options; much better. I suppose all the posters here would say that that goes without saying. . . .? But so far, it has gone without saying. :eek:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Lemme belabor the obvious here. The fact that you have a shot at your pocket doesn't mean it's your best choice - especially if you don't really like it. Often there are much better options; much better. I suppose all the posters here would say that that goes without saying. . . .? But so far, it has gone without saying. :eek:

Good point Vapros. My issue is not so much shot selection, as pressure on myself. I'm talking about early in the game, having five different choices to shoot at for my hole, some of them I should be able to make it my sleep, yet still missing.. I think it really has been addressed by the pressure and fundamentals folks. :).

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
There are a couple things at work. First, there is the mistaken notion (in our own minds as well as spectator's) that a BIH shot is easy. With the tight equipment we play on, many balls just over the line are tough, 6-7' shots! I mean, let's not kid ourselves, one pocket drains EVERY PLAYER'S ability to pocket long shots. (Also, if you are like me, you're just not that good lol).

So, the shot is tough already, right? Now, we throw in pulling shape with proper speed, angle and English. That makes the shot harder, for sure, but perhaps more importantly, it divides your attention. No longer are you solely just focused on pocketing the ball. Now you've got to pocket it, account for deflection, throw, speed, all that stuff.

Just because you choose where the ball goes does not make the shot significant easier. Yeah, it helps, but it is not a bunny. Maybe if we kept that in mind we wouldn't just expect the ball to go in. Rather, we should give it the proper respect we give to any 7' positional shot.