MIH 2016 - Jeremy Jones vs Danny Smith

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Critical situation for Danny, he trails 7-5 in the game. His shot.

WWYD? Give up? Hail Mary? Tighten up?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
cut the 5 a little into the right side of the 1 ball to take both away form JJ's pocket and roll the CB down to the foot rail. Looks like the 6 isn't bankable form there so he is still in it..

treeMan

Verified Member
Give up?! it's not that bad ... soft kick behind the 1 and grind.

If the combo was a little tougher I'd make the 6 and try to roll the cue ball into the jaws of the upper right corner pocket.

tree

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think Danny can fram both of those balls (5 & 1) out of there by hitting the left side of the 5. If he passively rolls up behind the 1, he's just prolonging the agony.

~Doc

rhinobywilhite

Verified Member
From
Junction, Texas
I think Danny can fram both of those balls (5 & 1) out of there by hitting the left side of the 5. If he passively rolls up behind the 1, he's just prolonging the agony.

~Doc

Jeremy has to move one or the other and unless he absolutely freezes the cue on the head rail again, things look a little better for Danny. He gets a better angle to move 1 or both balls.

u12armresl

Verified Member
I've seen him make both those balls (when they were the only ones on the table) cross corner.

5 ball cross

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I've seen him make both those balls (when they were the only ones on the table) cross corner.

5 ball cross

i don't know what he did or what happened....but....

thinking the same as you. almost like a little masse/swerve shot, real thin hit. if you miss it you're still ok, just come in under em.....just don't know if he'd shoot it with whitey on the rail like that.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
cut the 5 a little into the right side of the 1 ball to take both away form JJ's pocket and roll the CB down to the foot rail. Looks like the 6 isn't bankable form there so he is still in it..

why not just take both out go to foot rail and stay alive? I think this is the easiest and best shot here.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think you roll up on the one
framming them with your opponent needing one
you dont know for sure where they are going
so you mght leave a bank
and i think i want to keep control of the balls and wait for a better opportunity to move them

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Danny took a while on this and never really settled on what he wanted to do.

He tried to bank the 6 two rails and draw the cue ball around three rails to get under those 2 balls. It lost the game immediately leaving JJ an easy shot on the combo.

He took the hail mary approach.

Here is what Dr Bill diagrammed for his choice

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Here is what Dr Bill diagrammed for his choice
Well, if the shooter wants to shoot a passive kick safe, then Bill's two-rail kick angle is likely better than is the one-rail kick. The contact with the balls is likely safer.

But until the shooter gets those balls out of there, he's going to see that leave over and over. Maybe that's why Danny gave up, and tried the circus shot.

~Doc

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Jeremy has to move one or the other and unless he absolutely freezes the cue on the head rail again, things look a little better for Danny. He gets a better angle to move 1 or both balls.

Plus his next look will probably not on the back rail (or at least not as tight).

baby huey

Verified Member
I don't like Danny's situation at all. He's in a tough spot. He could one rail soft kick behind the one ball and will probably end up with a foul and be down 7/4 and he can shoot two rails behind the one ball which is also problematic or he can jack up and wail behind the one ball and attempt to kick them both out of there. The latter is probably a game loser. I would try the first two options and save the last option for a later shot. I didn't see the match score? That is an important factor in his decision.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I don't like Danny's situation at all. He's in a tough spot. He could one rail soft kick behind the one ball and will probably end up with a foul and be down 7/4 and he can shoot two rails behind the one ball which is also problematic or he can jack up and wail behind the one ball and attempt to kick them both out of there. The latter is probably a game loser. I would try the first two options and save the last option for a later shot. I didn't see the match score? That is an important factor in his decision.

I don't recall the exact match score at this time, sorry for not posting it. It wasn't hill-hill and he didn't lose the match with this shot. It may have been 1-0 JJ here. JJ started using his knowledge to frustrate the shooters giving them zero to look at for long periods of time, and that frustration added to the decision he made I think.

Overall I enjoyed watching JJ matches the most, he moved very well and was always thinking about each shot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I don't recall the exact match score at this time, sorry for not posting it. It wasn't hill-hill and he didn't lose the match with this shot. It may have been 1-0 JJ here. JJ started using his knowledge to frustrate the shooters giving them zero to look at for long periods of time, and that frustration added to the decision he made I think.

Overall I enjoyed watching JJ matches the most, he moved very well and was always thinking about each shot.

Of this group, JJ has the greatest ability to play lock-down 1P (except maybe Efren, but Efren will pass up some lock-down opportunities and go offensive when JJ wouldn't.)

Last edited: