Mental Lapse's

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Playing one pocket the other night and winning, at least was 5 ahead and playing well...

It is about 1100 and the wife calls, and I lose the next 8 games in a row and can't make a ball to save my life... I quit frustrated...

I drink Coke while playing so I know I wasn't drunk... Has this happened to any of you?

Bille

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wgcp said:
Playing one pocket the other night and winning, at least was 5 ahead and playing well...

It is about 1100 and the wife calls, and I lose the next 8 games in a row and can't make a ball to save my life... I quit frustrated...

I drink Coke while playing so I know I wasn't drunk... Has this happened to any of you?

Bille
No Bille, she's never called me while I was playing:D .

On a more serious note, I never drink caffeine if I'm about to gamble or am already playing. It jangles my otherwise steady nerves.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wgcp said:

Bille

Bille, I dont have a short answer, But I was lucky to have two women, who never bothered me, ever at the pool room or bar. (unless it was an extreme emergency, she would deal with it.) My first wife, Paula, was a nurse, the mother of my 4 children, and was killed in a freak accident in her 40's. Very tough time for me, as I was naturally "on the road", instead of home where I should have been. Still have those guilts, and regrets to this day.

My second wife, Kathy was an angel when it came to the same thing...She was so sweet, I actually felt guilty staying out all night..and eventually picked up the lunch pail for 20 years. (UPS) She never ragged on me to do that, I just wanted to do it for her..It might have been the best 37 years of my life, being with Kathy. (17 of which I was in a pool room somewhere) I really enjoyed the feeling of normalcy...as we still took a lot of trips and vacations... As you know she passed away last year.

I'm sure you have been a hard working guy, all your life, and your relationships were nothing like mine...I would imagine you have a solid relationship with your lady, just as Deeman has, with Deewoman.. But, very few women can tolerate the late hours, of guys who get wrapped up in pool contests, even though you are not a "hustler" per say.

I could tell you dozens of "horror storie's", about guy's wives harrassing them, and often coming in the pool room, and making a scene..as you may have seen too, at times.

I know you'll do the right thing, but I sense your aggravation...Please forgive me, I guess I Just wanted to use you as a sounding board, to unload a few thoughts, weighing quite heavily these days...;)

Take care Bille, I'm sure you'll overcome the 3 game loss...If it'd had been a guy I know in Chicago, he'd have gone off like a skyrocket.:D

PS..You might ask her..."Do I ever bother you, when you're out shopping with the girl's" ?...:p

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bille, Dick is correct. If you are going to be married and play pool, you will have to have some sort of agreement (ground rules), to control your hours and her calls. I don't think there are many cases like Dick's. Most married men run into fights about pool, either once in a while or regularly.

On the other hand, it might depend on the reason for the call and whether it was the cause of your frustration. It might also be pure coincidence. I think everyone's game leaves the scene sometimes without notice. It's just something that can happen. Be well.

p.s. Get Dick to explain to you about apostrophes. :p :rolleyes:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
depends.....

depends.....

...on the woman.Though I know what you mean,takes very little to fall in and out of stroke for most guys,cheers,James

Cowboy Dennis said:
No Bille, she's never called me while I was playing:D .

On a more serious note, I never drink caffeine if I'm about to gamble or am already playing. It jangles my otherwise steady nerves.

Dennis

No, Bille, your wife has never called me while I was playing either. :D

SJDinPHX said:
PS..You might ask her..."Do I ever bother you, when you're out shopping with the girl's" ?...

LOL.

Bille, on serious note, I will just say that each person's situation is unique. When I was the significant other of a pool player, I did not call him. But that’s just me. Also, it was back in the stone age, and cell phones did not exist. Your relationship with your wife is not the same as any other couple’s. What applies and works for one relationship,may not work for another. I would simply say that you should just talk to her, respect her feelings, and work out a solution. Try to find out why she has a need to call you and you might find out that there is some deeper issue that needs to be resolved. If you love each other, I know you will find a way to make it work. Good luck.

Clare

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Maybe everyone should reread post #1. You are all assuming facts not in evidence. Nobody said the caller or the content of the call caused the mental lapse, he simply got a call that's all. You old people sure go off on tangents:p .

Hi Clare:D .

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis said:
Maybe everyone should reread post #1. You are all assuming facts not in evidence. Nobody said the caller or the content of the call caused the mental lapse, he simply got a call that's all. You old people sure go off on tangents:p .

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Don't you know? Women are blamed for EVERYTHING. Her call may have nothing to do with his "lapse", but she is a convenient scapegoat.

Men are just like that.:confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Dear,'Wishing your Phone WOULD ring' Breath,

You are just jealous because,...why would anybody EVER call a lunatic ?..:p

PS..Apparently Bille thought that caused the mental lapse, otherwise why would he have posted it. It doesn't matter if she was just asking him to bring home a loaf of bread...it was a distraction, you idiot..:rolleyes:

SJDinPHX said:
Dear,'Wishing your Phone WOULD ring' Breath,

You are just jealous because,...why would anybody EVER call a lunatic ?..:p

PS..Apparently Bille thought that caused the mental lapse, otherwise why would he have posted it. It doesn't matter if she was just asking him to bring home a loaf of bread...it was a distraction, you idiot..:rolleyes:

Exactly right, Ducky, if he thinks it distracted him, then it did.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Clare said:
Hi Dennis. Don't you know? Women are blamed for EVERYTHING. Her call may have nothing to do with his "lapse", but she is a convenient scapegoat.

Men are just like that.:confused:

Hi Clarebaby,

None of my ladie's ever dared call me, at work, because they were afraid of the viscious beating they would get when I got home..:eek:

El Duck <---Would deck 'em in a heartbeat...:cool:................................................................................................(JK)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wgcp said:

Bille
That's happened to me when I was much younger.
My advice "Toughen up " :D
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Need an answerer

Need an answerer

For serious matches you need to have somebody else screen your calls and do the answering for you. It will reduce the aggravation considerably.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
For serious matches you need to have somebody else screen your calls and do the answering for you. It will reduce the aggravation considerably.

Beard

Before cell phones, I told whoever answered the phone to say I was playing and ask to take a message. When I wasn't playing it was usually some pool player who said "hey man what's going on. Who's there."
Rod.
PS. I usually had to come all the way from the back of the room.

fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Your wife is not on the level of anyone else. Calls from your wife should never be screened.

Rodan

Verified Member
wgcp said:

Bille

It has probably happened to every pool player.
It's bad enough to get sharked by someone
accidentally interrupting your game but any
woman who knows you are sensitive to her
possible rejection for your choice of hobby
also knows her call can ruin your whole day.

DOCTOR: How did you get these bruises?

PATIENT: It’s my husband. He’s addicted to
playing pool. When he loses he comes home
angry and we end up fighting. I never win
because he’s too strong. I remind him every
day that he is wasting his life in that pool hall,
but he won’t listen.

DOCTOR: Try this: Next time he comes home
after a losing day, don’t say a word. Just swish
a tablespoon of sweet tea around in your mouth
and keep swishing it until he cools off.

---------------------

PATIENT: You advice worked, Doctor. He came
home steaming mad and even blamed me for
making him lose when I merely called him on the phone.
I kept swishing sweet tea in my mouth while he stomped
around until he got tired and he went to bed.
I never knew that sweet tea had the benefit of such
a calming effect.

DOCTOR: And now you also know the benefit of keeping
your mouth shut.

Rodan. < - - - Been there, married that.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well one reason to get married is to have someone to blame everything on:eek:
we really dont know the message in the call
that would help in giving blame to the call

you could argue that regardless of the message the call got him out of the "zone"

turn your cell phone off if you are gambling
is one option

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Wife

Wife

I was not blaming the wife... It just seemed as though my mind went from pool to the house...
Remember this is the woman who sticks with me when I travel all over the world, sometimes she knows exactly where I am, sometimes she doesn't have a clue...
I started the thread just to see if others had similar experiences with something taking their concentration off track, and not being able to get it back...

Clare, my wife is german... the matron of the family... she always wins the arguements...

Bille