Member Tournament 2019

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think starting to discuss a location now is a good thing. How many rooms even have 16 tables? Personally I wouldn’t mind Philly or other East Coast location. If some members could let us know about any rooms that might be able to accommodate us that would be great.

I don't think it imperative that there be 16 tables -- but with less we need to start at 11 AM on Friday, not 4 PM. The 16 only matters for the first two rounds -- after that with 32 players and standard double elimination, you get down to 12 players for the 3rd round, so having less than 16 ceases to matter.

Rooms that come to mind in the east are:

Drexeline outside of Philly
Pete Fusco's room in Philly

Snookers in Providence RI (that's only 2-1/2 hours from me!! Come to think of it, Snookers would be a great room! They have excellent food, and a booth that overlooks the main streaming table already in place. Plus it is a great town with restaurants, ocean right there, an airport and long mafioso history lol) Snookers also has some fairly strong one Pocket players that are not real computer savvy so either haven't joined or haven't posted and would be eager to create the usual player eligibility conflicts -- already in place too :D:D )

Michael's in Cincinatti

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Member Tournament 2019

A new pool room just opened in my area (Philly) with about 30-40 tables including three cushion. Also a bar and food. And the best part is it’s Non Smoking!! This is a former room owner who knows the business and is a buddy of mine. I will check in with him and see what his thoughts are in case it’s an option. They literally had the soft opening last night. General opening a few weeks away :). It will be called BlueGrass Billiards.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
A new pool room just opened in my area (Philly) with about 30-40 tables including three cushion. Also a bar and food. And the best part is it’s Non Smoking!! This is a former room owner who knows the business and is a buddy of mine. I will check in with him and see what his thoughts are in case it’s an option. They literally had the soft opening last night. General opening a few weeks away :). It will be called BlueGrass Billiards.

Say it ain't so bro... A place they call Blue Grass Billiards in Philly....lol

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
When

When

Discussing where is always a blast - but when matters almost as much. I know end of May-first of June has been mentioned, but I’m hoping that some consideration for later would be given. I’m good any weekend except Father’s Day, but I know others have kids in school. Just throwing it out there. As long as we set a date before October, it’ll take something strange for me to miss the next one.

John

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Talked to Paul, he’s not interested...or should I say he’s not interested in running a double elimination. He hasn’t run a double elim in years, he said.

No surprise as he's been very vocal on AZ for years about his thoughts on Double elimination tournaments and his own format.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know someone(s) posted earlier about this lol -- so this is more of a recap than anything, but this is what I am thinking about basic schedule & eligibility:

12 months advance, start talking about next year lol. And those who are close enough to a prospective room location, consider approaching the prospective room owner to get an idea if they would be interested in having OnePocket.org come in and kind of take over the bulk of their room for Fri-Sat-Sun the first weekend in June. The room owner needs to understand it is not a given, that they will be the selected room -- that is determined by a vote. But still they need to be "on board" and need to fully understand how our event goes just to make the vote viable.

10-11 months in advance gather these prospective room proposals into what can be a well-informed poll to make a final selection. We have guidelines for what kind of information we want for each of the rooms elsewhere, but basically it's things like: how many tables, what kind of tables, nearest major airport, food, nearby lodging, green fees, access/cost for use of tables for action/freelance matchups aside from the tournament, including after players have been knocked out etc.

9 months advance vote on the room
ASAP after selecting the room, ask RedCard very nicely if he is willing to design another poster, that can go to the selected room. Along with the poster, a *** handout or contact information or both to let locals know if they want to be eligible, they have to qualify by a specified date and what steps they need to take in order to qualify ***

6 months advance start sign ups?? But if we are giving locals a chance to qualify, then what about holding out a small handful of tournament spots until some closer designated deadline, to give them a chance to qualify or not? I think bringing new locals in is an important aspect of moving our tournament around to new locations every year. If those "local" spots don't fill, obviously late acting of our already qualified members get those spots. If it turns out 32 player fields are filling too fast (so far not an issue), then it is time to go to two tournaments a year :)

1-2-3 months in advance deadline for locals to get qualified or they simply are ineligible, and if there are any remaining spots being held for locals, those spots are released.

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
Member Tournament 2019

No surprise as he's been very vocal on AZ for years about his thoughts on Double elimination tournaments and his own format.

I only read the cuemaker stuff on AZB. Anything else is uncivilized.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Talked to Paul, he’s not interested...or should I say he’s not interested in running a double elimination. He hasn’t run a double elim in years, he said.

We run our own tournaments, shirts auctions, chart. The owner of any NON SMOING venue has nothing to do but want us there.
I like going to your area Steve, I’ve never been in that part of the country. That’s two votes for your choice, do I hear three?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I’m in:D Would love a Philly Cheese Steak

youngstown

Verified Member
Member Tournament 2019

We run our own tournaments, shirts auctions, chart. The owner of any NON SMOING venue has nothing to do but want us there.

I like going to your area Steve, I’ve never been in that part of the country. That’s two votes for your choice, do I hear three?

I guarantee he’d be thrilled to have us...if we used his format.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

How close to airport(s), hotels, sightseeing,

youngstown

Verified Member
Member Tournament 2019

This gets my vote.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Member Tournament 2019

How close to airport(s), hotels, sightseeing,

There is a holiday in and Hilton with 5 minutes and the Philly airport is 20 miles and 29 minutes away :). It is about 20-25 minutes north of the city which is where most historical sites are. However it’s about 10 minutes from a world class cheesesteak joint 😃

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

Say it ain't so bro... A place they call Blue Grass Billiards in Philly....lol

I’m in:D Would love a Philly Cheese Steak

This gets my vote.

There is a holiday in and Hilton with 5 minutes and the Philly airport is 20 miles and 29 minutes away :). It is about 20-25 minutes north of the city which is where most historical sites are. However it’s about 10 minutes from a world class cheesesteak joint 😃

2016 NOLA (south), 2017 chicago (midwest), 2018 fremont (west).

imo, i think east coast is due next year.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
2016 NOLA (south), 2017 chicago (midwest), 2018 fremont (west).

imo, i think east coast is due next year.

I say yeah. But the airport must be an international hub, because flying in and out we can find r/t tickets $300 or less. When r/t get$ near the $500 area, I think many will think twice.

These seem to be basics.

1. Major Airport close by, with a shuttle to the hotel.
2. More than 16 9' tables, a Big room at least 20-24 9 footers.
3. Available June or Oct.
4. Hotels within walking distance with a restaurant.
5. Hotel must have a realistic price per night. Remember were pool players .
6. Equipment MUST be in good condition.

I might also add, we should keep hurricane season in mind. November I think would be best. The first or second week of Nov. I know the US Open 9 ball event and weather collided at least once or twice during its years. Early Nov. is kinda like June, before holiday season.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I've never been to Philadelphia and I've never had a "real" Philly Steak Sandwich. The onepocket.org annual tournament has yet to reckon with the east coast. I think I would like to be in Philadelphia come the first weekend in June 2019.