Member Tournament 2019

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
I spent a couple hours this morning digging through old threads regarding the 1st 3 Member Tournaments - and a couple things really stood out - we have the same arguments year after year.
• What makes a “verified member” eligible?
• How much activity makes you “active”?
• Where and when are we going to play?

If you google Derby City Classic, you can go directly to their site & see the dates for the tournaments all the way through 2022 - my 9 days for next year are already scheduled off. :)
1st tournament location polling began on 6-9-16, and held on 9-23-16.
2nd tournament location announced on 3-11-17, and held on 6-16-17
3rd tournament location announced on 10-23-17, held 6-1-18

Obviously we're getting better at notice since the 1st two had just over 3 months from announcement to tournament start - but with all the discussion about who can play etc - I feel we should make it as simple as possible for people to decide the amount of participation they'd like to have. If we were able to announce the next location at/during the current event, members or potential members would have a full 12 months to become active. If it’s out for 12 months that there will be a “verified members only” tournament in your city – and 3 weeks before the tournament you decide that you want to be a member – nope – doesn’t work that way.

I joined this site on 2-2-17, but had been reading it religiously for over a year. Based on that alone, I wouldn't have qualified for the tournament - but when I saw the location was Chicago for the 2nd tournament, I chose to become active enough to attend, and have never regretted it. Chicago was close enough for me to drive to, and I just happened to already have a vacation day scheduled for that Friday. I didn't get to go, but I keep hoping it will work out. I know I’m being selfish, but I’m forced to pick my vacation in early October every year – knowing where and when the next one will be (a la DCC) allows me to plan ahead for it.

As far as verified member, active etc – I don’t believe that posting on the site is the only way to be active – but it truly is the simplest. Steve mentioned Greg Sullivan calling & asking for our input regarding changes to 1 pocket at Derby City – can anyone say that’s not active regardless of who typed the words? If you don’t want to put 2 cents into WWYD or start a thread of your own, you have to work a little harder. If you’re at a 1 pocket tournament that you know members are at (DCC, West Coast Swing, Buffalos Pro events, Super Seniors) – take the time to find them and introduce yourself. Let them know that you enjoy reading through the site. Play a few games on a free table if you find one. The guy who got me playing one pocket was at DCC the 1st 3 days this year and got to play Steve, he’s played John Crabb at my house. This doesn’t make him verified, but it’s a start and neither of those required typing. There has to be a better way than the sniping at each other I’ve seen here the last couple of weeks. I can’t think of 1 person I’m sorry to have met through this site, and I enjoy reading it every single day. The only change I’d like to see made – add something to the statistics showing days/hours visited – you’d even be able to see how dedicated some of the lurkers are – maybe as a qualifier for active member status.

John

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The only change I’d like to see made – add something to the statistics showing days/hours visited – you’d even be able to see how dedicated some of the lurkers are – maybe as a qualifier for active member status.

John

First, John, about the sniping: I only noticed two people whom I saw as being really upset and only one of those was doing what I would call "sniping."

In my opinion, being a dedicated lurker is not contributing to the site, it is only enjoying the benefit of using it the way they choose. Nothing at all wrong with that, but if we are to base the qualification for playing in the members' tournament contributions to the site, it wouldn't make the grade. But I'm with you that posts alone aren't ideal, but the way the software works I think it is the most reasonable and convenient way for Steve to be able to establish objective criteria. Making monetary contributions for the Hall of Fame Dinner or to support the site's sponsored DCC entry each year would be a pretty good way to contribute for people who prefer just to lurk, but would like to become "verified."

BTW, I enjoy your posts. I wish you had started earlier. :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I spent a couple hours this morning digging through old threads regarding the 1st 3 Member Tournaments - and a couple things really stood out - we have the same arguments year after year.

If you google Derby City Classic, you can go directly to their site & see the dates for the tournaments all the way through 2022 - my 9 days for next year are already scheduled off. :)

Obviously we're getting better at notice since the 1st two had just over 3 months from announcement to tournament start - but with all the discussion about who can play etc - I feel we should make it as simple as possible for people to decide the amount of participation they'd like to have. If we were able to announce the next location at/during the current event, members or potential members would have a full 12 months to become active. If it’s out for 12 months that there will be a “verified members only” tournament in your city – and 3 weeks before the tournament you decide that you want to be a member – nope – doesn’t work that way.

I joined this site on 2-2-17, but had been reading it religiously for over a year. Based on that alone, I wouldn't have qualified for the tournament - but when I saw the location was Chicago for the 2nd tournament, I chose to become active enough to attend, and have never regretted it. Chicago was close enough for me to drive to, and I just happened to already have a vacation day scheduled for that Friday. I didn't get to go, but I keep hoping it will work out. I know I’m being selfish, but I’m forced to pick my vacation in early October every year – knowing where and when the next one will be (a la DCC) allows me to plan ahead for it.

As far as verified member, active etc – I don’t believe that posting on the site is the only way to be active – but it truly is the simplest. Steve mentioned Greg Sullivan calling & asking for our input regarding changes to 1 pocket at Derby City – can anyone say that’s not active regardless of who typed the words? If you don’t want to put 2 cents into WWYD or start a thread of your own, you have to work a little harder. If you’re at a 1 pocket tournament that you know members are at (DCC, West Coast Swing, Buffalos Pro events, Super Seniors) – take the time to find them and introduce yourself. Let them know that you enjoy reading through the site. Play a few games on a free table if you find one. The guy who got me playing one pocket was at DCC the 1st 3 days this year and got to play Steve, he’s played John Crabb at my house. This doesn’t make him verified, but it’s a start and neither of those required typing. There has to be a better way than the sniping at each other I’ve seen here the last couple of weeks. I can’t think of 1 person I’m sorry to have met through this site, and I enjoy reading it every single day. The only change I’d like to see made – add something to the statistics showing days/hours visited – you’d even be able to see how dedicated some of the lurkers are – maybe as a qualifier for active member status.

John

Thank you John, you just made my point about the unexpectedly great recruiting tool our tournaments are. You and John Rawski (J. R.) both came in via the Chicago tournament. But following Jeff's suggestion hopefully accomplishes everything we wish for in terms of new and valued member/friends, without the controversy over who can play. I love his idea!!! Thank you for your added input!!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Thank you John, you just made my point about the unexpectedly great recruiting tool our tournaments are. You and John Rawski (J. R.) both came in via the Chicago tournament. But following Jeff's suggestion hopefully accomplishes everything we wish for in terms of new and valued member/friends, without the controversy over who can play. I love his idea!!! Thank you for your added input!!

Steve, you need to be more active in the threads about the tournaments and tell us what is going on. I admit to “sniping’ but a lot of it has nothing to do with this coming tournament. You not being more active on the threads and letting the members know what you are thinking is where confusion begins. Myself and others thought we had established some ground rules last year and come this year, SOS {same old...... }You want people to help you but when they do, you don’t stand behind them or let them know what your thinking is. An example is when we were voting to have the tournament at CB last year but Chris wanted to tie it in with his other tournaments. Fighting tooth and nail to keep the tournament a singular OPOrg tournament separate from any other tournament, I got no support from you, I got slammed, members wanted to hang me and I was left out to dry. Maybe you don’t care if the Members Only tournament gets commingled with other tournament but you start doing that and pretty soon, it’s some other tournament getting the attention rather than OPOrg. To me, when it comes to OPOrg, it’s all about OPOrg or nothing. Supporting OPOrg financially is easy and with the Forums are great. Speaking for myself only when saying you need to give more direction. One thing should be clear, OPOrg is its own entity and should grow on its own. Maybe you feel different, who knows because you never let the surrogates have any feedback, or at least not me. This coming tournament will be held at a premiere pool room that can face a challenge to be the best pool room anywhere in the country with good tables, good food, and a room owner who wants us {IMO too much at times}. Last thing, we have known for a while where this tournament was going to be held. Everyone On the Best Coast knew through other digital mediums about signing up and becoming a member, an active member before the tournament sign ups. Last year Bill Rousch is a man who kept his word and he still is active. You have done a good thing bringing this baby to birth, maybe since Freddy isn’t around you feel uncomfortable with others helping you, Only you know.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Steve, you need to be more active in the threads about the tournaments and tell us what is going on.

When you choose to criticize Steve here -- this is not a first -- you could at least have the good grace to do it by pm. No one else needs to see your private thoughts about the person without whom we wouldn't even be here to read them.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thanks for posting Jlcomp. For those of you who haven't met him, John is one of my friends from Mo., a big one pocket fan and plays a little too. Him and his wife are both very solid individuals who eat and sleep pool.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Steve, you need to be more active in the threads about the tournaments and tell us what is going on. I admit to “sniping’ but a lot of it has nothing to do with this coming tournament. You not being more active on the threads and letting the members know what you are thinking is where confusion begins. Myself and others thought we had established some ground rules last year and come this year, SOS {same old...... }You want people to help you but when they do, you don’t stand behind them or let them know what your thinking is. An example is when we were voting to have the tournament at CB last year but Chris wanted to tie it in with his other tournaments. Fighting tooth and nail to keep the tournament a singular OPOrg tournament separate from any other tournament, I got no support from you, I got slammed, members wanted to hang me and I was left out to dry. Maybe you don’t care if the Members Only tournament gets commingled with other tournament but you start doing that and pretty soon, it’s some other tournament getting the attention rather than OPOrg. To me, when it comes to OPOrg, it’s all about OPOrg or nothing. Supporting OPOrg financially is easy and with the Forums are great. Speaking for myself only when saying you need to give more direction. One thing should be clear, OPOrg is its own entity and should grow on its own. Maybe you feel different, who knows because you never let the surrogates have any feedback, or at least not me. This coming tournament will be held at a premiere pool room that can face a challenge to be the best pool room anywhere in the country with good tables, good food, and a room owner who wants us {IMO too much at times}. Last thing, we have known for a while where this tournament was going to be held. Everyone On the Best Coast knew through other digital mediums about signing up and becoming a member, an active member before the tournament sign ups. Last year Bill Rousch is a man who kept his word and he still is active. You have done a good thing bringing this baby to birth, maybe since Freddy isn’t around you feel uncomfortable with others helping you, Only you know.

Read my new thread my Kentucky brother:D

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
When you choose to criticize Steve here -- this is not a first -- you could at least have the good grace to do it by pm. No one else needs to see your private thoughts about the person without whom we wouldn't even be here to read them.
John i have to disagree on this one. I thought Bills post here was reasonable and very well thought out. Heck he didn't even cuss... You should have read some of the ones I've re-considered before posting.:eek::lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
:(
When you choose to criticize Steve here -- this is not a first -- you could at least have the good grace to do it by pm. No one else needs to see your private thoughts about the person without whom we wouldn't even be here to read them.[/

My criticism like “You have done a good thing bringing this baby to birth”. This is Steve’s baby and he needs to lead. He has asked for the members help. Asking for help means acknowledging what people have to say. The only way we get feed back from him is by posting to him. Tell me something John, how many times have you spent your own money trying to promote a OPOrg tournament by setting up a stream, putting endless hours making sure it’s running, flying all over the country to promote OPOrg events? If you didn’t have such a hard on for me personally, you would be able to see I am asking him to give us members some directions.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If you didn’t have such a hard on for me personally

Not quite guilty, but I admit to having a problem with serial complainers, and on 1Porg, you win the prize.

you would be able to see I am asking...

The problem may come from your not seeing that you didn't ask anything. You just listed a series of complaints that you've made in the past.

Which ones of these did you think were questions?

"Steve, you need to be..."
"You not being more active"
"thought we had established some ground rules"
"come this year, SOS {same old...... }"
"You want people to help you but"
"you don’t stand behind them"
"I got no support from you"
"Maybe you don’t care"
"but you start doing that and pretty soon"
"you need to give more direction."
"One thing should be clear"
"you never let the surrogates have any feedback"
"maybe since Freddy isn’t around you feel uncomfortable with others helping you, Only you know."

This is not asking, and it's not informing Steve of anything he didn't already know either, because you've complained about it before.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Not quite guilty, but I admit to having a problem with serial complainers, and on 1Porg, you win the prize.

The problem may come from your not seeing that you didn't ask anything. You just listed a series of complaints that you've made in the past.

Which ones of these did you think were questions?

"Steve, you need to be..."
"You not being more active"
"thought we had established some ground rules"
"come this year, SOS {same old...... }"
"You want people to help you but"
"you don’t stand behind them"
"I got no support from you"
"Maybe you don’t care"
"but you start doing that and pretty soon"
"you need to give more direction."
"One thing should be clear"
"you never let the surrogates have any feedback"
"maybe since Freddy isn’t around you feel uncomfortable with others helping you, Only you know."

This is not asking, and it's not informing Steve of anything he didn't already know either, because you've complained about it before.[/

SO WHAT? You have nothing to add to anything except ad hominem attacks.

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
Stop

Stop

this thread was meant for ideas - not attacking other people - if you want to do that and aren't able to make yourself do it in PM - start your own dang thread.

LsJohn - I wish I'd started posting earlier too. You rarely see me comment on the WWYD because if someone has already posted the shot I'd do, I see no point in typing for the sake of typing. I've been lucky enough lately to catch a couple early and be able to contribute. That's why I mentioned the "lurker" part - if you're here daily reading, odds are you're playing 1 pocket & talking about the site to whoever you play with.

Crabb - thanks for the kind words - I'm working on playing better than a "bit" - but man it's a slow process. :heh

Steve - I remember seeing a post of yours somewhere about how there's not much 1 pocket played where you are - and I sympathize - it's the same way here. There are 3-5 of us in town who regularly play & even that's gone down now that the snooker table came back after 20 years (golf anyone?). That's what brought me here in the 1st place - a sincere desire to learn this game. I truly enjoy seeing the ideas on how this game is played as well as WHY certain shots are taken.

We have an opportunity to make this site and our tournaments truly nationwide - imagine 5 years from now 2 different variations of "verified member" - amateur and professional. How amazing would it be if there were 2 Member only tournaments - amateur funded by entry fees just from the guys here who started & made this site what it is, as well as a professional one with the likes of JJ, Chohan, Bergman, etc played for big added money plus the entries, but were only able to be in the tournament by participating in our little online family.

If I were a room owner, I'd want to have 30-50 guys in my pool hall for 3-4 days straight playing 10-14 hours daily. Added bonus - he'll still have bar boxes avail for other customers. Rather than ask that room owner to add money (which we've turned down before) - ask them to host a professional 1 pocket tournament later in the year and add that money under our name.

Doesn't cost us a penny - builds our brand - and gets us more great 1 pocket to watch as well as some premier posters putting ideas in about how to play.

Just my nickels worth of ideas.

John

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
SO WHAT? You have nothing to add to anything except ad hominem attacks.

I listed what you did that I thought you shouldn't have done. That's not ad hominem.

I corrected your claim that you were asking... that's not ad hominem.

And I suggested that you do your bitching by pm... that's not ad hominem either.

Hang on while I try to think of something else.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

John

How long have you been playing 1P?
Back when I was flying Sabreliners I use to hang out in Cape at the pool hall downtown. It was hard to get anyone to play me 1P. Sorry we didn’t meet in Chicago and hang out a bit. I was busy with Robert every day:)

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
Cape and 1pocket

Cape and 1pocket

2 years, but if you played at the billiard center, I’m sure we’ve run into each other at some point. It’s still hard to find much here, but it’s slowly starting. A year ago, there were 4 people that played regularly, but it’s up to 8-9 now. Nowhere near enough, but I’m hopeful. Bill Cobb recently moved back and plays quite a bit. That’s helped since he’s down there all the time.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
So where are we going to go?
My preferences; close to airport without connections. A place that will accommodate our streaming platform, has food, good tables, close to hotels, prefer walking distance, has cultural experiences, natural beauty.
I don’t stream any more so I am not pushing my California Streaming. Goldy is the streamer using OPOrg.
Philly? I hear they have a nice place. Baltimore? South Carolina? Miami? Planning ahead this far allows us to get rooms less expensive, less expensive flights and if we want to sightsee, vacation a little, it can be planned.
THE FOURTH ANNUAL OP.Org MEMBERS ONLY TOURNAMENT
I know of four places close to San Francisco. Johns place in Sacramento, Hard Times, Family Billiards in San Francisco, Edgies in Milpitas, no food to speak of. Fast Eddy’s in beautiful Santa Cruz California. Very good health nut place next door. Food can be bought in.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My preferences; close to airport without connections. A place that will accommodate our streaming platform, has food, good tables, close to hotels, prefer walking distance, has cultural experiences, natural beauty.
I don’t stream any more so I am not pushing my California Streaming. Goldy is the streamer using OPOrg.
Philly? I hear they have a nice place. Baltimore? South Carolina? Miami? Planning ahead this far allows us to get rooms less expensive, less expensive flights and if we want to sightsee, vacation a little, it can be planned.
THE FOURTH ANNUAL OP.Org MEMBERS ONLY TOURNAMENT
I know of four places close to San Francisco. Johns place in Sacramento, Hard Times, Family Billiards in San Francisco, Edgies in Milpitas, no food to speak of. Fast Eddy’s in beautiful Santa Cruz California. Very good health nut place next door. Food can be bought in.

I think starting to discuss a location now is a good thing. How many rooms even have 16 tables? Personally I wouldn’t mind Philly or other East Coast location. If some members could let us know about any rooms that might be able to accommodate us that would be great.

youngstown

Verified Member
Member Tournament 2019

I’ve never been to Miami, and I am a lifelong Dolphins fan, but wherever we go I’ll prob just be about the pool tourney and not make much time for sights. I really would love everyone to experience the best pool facility I’ve ever been to - Gold Crown in Erie. The upstairs bar area is just amazing. I’ve posted pics in an old journal entry before but here’s a link.

My favorite room
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...org/forum/showthread.php?t=12793&share_type=t

MM

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I’ve never been to Miami, and I am a lifelong Dolphins fan, but wherever we go I’ll prob just be about the pool tourney and not make much time for sights. I really would love everyone to experience the best pool facility I’ve ever been to - Gold Crown in Erie. The upstairs bar area is just amazing. I’ve posted pics in an old journal entry before but here’s a link.

My favorite room
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...org/forum/showthread.php?t=12793&share_type=t

I don’t have tapatalk and I don’t download things that I won’t use but one or two times. But this is what I mean, is there a place our members know will be a grand place? I’m glad you had a nice time vacationing Pilot. I have made the same trip many times while working for the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. No you cannot see pictures of me in a tutu, publicly.