May 21-24 BIG One Pocket Tournament Buffalo's Billiards New Orleans, La

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Scott wins. In the hill game JJ took a dubious combination from 7 feet away and missed it while pushing many balls Scott's way. Too tough to fade from there and when Scott got a shot he ran 9 and out (owed 1). Lol Petie. Match lasted over 7 hours.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It was good to see and talk to you Doc. They thought they had us trapped. Scott frost lost $ 15,000 in 30 minutes to Westbank John playing the same game Anthony and I gave him. Scott told everyone we had no chance. Anthony won in about 3 hours and I won in an hour:D
Good to hear that it paid for your trip, bro. "TheNineBallHackerTrapper"....Nice move.

Cheers!
~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

How great is this commentary with Billie and Nick?

So great!

Alex, down 7-0 in the game, just ran an 8 and out which included FIVE bank shots. As Billy said... "If you're watching the stream you've underpaid!!" Unbelievable.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Another 8 and out. Alex wins with an impressive display!!

Last edited:

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Wow what a great event
The stream was flawless
The commentary was great Billy,Nick,Scott and Ray :D
All the players played great matches all event
And wow Alex was fantastic he played one of the best finals vs Scott in history
That was one of the best played matches i have ever seen by anybody ever

scott and alex.jpg
buffssss.jpg

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I was there at the old DCC venue when Efren beat Alex in about a half hour. Alex didn't play bad; he just was over his head. We all thought we had seen the best Onepocket in the world. I still thought I had until last night. Anyone remotely interested in our game should get the video of this and play it when they need inspiration. It was really something.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow what a great event
The stream was flawless
The commentary was great Billy,Nick,Scott and Ray :D
All the players played great matches all event
And wow Alex was fantastic he played one of the best finals vs Scott in history
That was one of the best played matches i have ever seen by anybody ever

View attachment 12367
View attachment 12368

Alex's execution was incedible -- consistently incredible. At one point Scott left Alex something like this, with Scott's pocket near the one ball, and Alex jacked up a little and fired at the 2 caroming the one away. He missed pocketing the 2 but he hit the carom perfectly.

[/URL][/IMG]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was there at the old DCC venue when Efren beat Alex in about a half hour. Alex didn't play bad; he just was over his head. We all thought we had seen the best Onepocket in the world. I still thought I had until last night. Anyone remotely interested in our game should get the video of this and play it when they need inspiration. It was really something.

I agree that performance by Efren and last nights by Alex are the two best I ever saw.

Scott has nothing to hang his head about -- he battled his way to a second place finish worth good money against a stellar field! He is going to have study tape and work on what he can do if he wants to win when the two of them battle in a couple of weeks. My one piece of advice? Take your time to think about every shot -- staying away from impulse shots. Accept what the table is giving you even if you are disappointed it is not better and make the most of what it offers despite that disappointment.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Take your time to think about every shot -- staying away from impulse shots. Accept what the table is giving you even if you are disappointed it is not better and make the most of what it offers despite that disappointment.

Great advice for all of us, Steve. I am matching up today and will try to heed this.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I agree that performance by Efren and last nights by Alex are the two best I ever saw.

Scott has nothing to hang his head about -- he battled his way to a second place finish worth good money against a stellar field! He is going to have study tape and work on what he can do if he wants to win when the two of them battle in a couple of weeks. My one piece of advice? Take your time to think about every shot -- staying away from impulse shots. Accept what the table is giving you even if you are disappointed it is not better and make the most of what it offers despite that disappointment.

Scott made some incredible outs but took the heat and did something lots of us do when you get a bad roll. Alex got lucky in the game the ball spotted and blocked an easy out for Scott. He tried to make it up with a masse combo that didn't work and left Alex an easy out that cost him a game.

Part of being a better player is keeping your composure and Alex was better there too. I was rooting for Scott but Alex just played better than he did.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... My one piece of advice? Take your time to think about every shot -- staying away from impulse shots. Accept what the table is giving you even if you are disappointed it is not better and make the most of what it offers despite that disappointment.
You've hit the nail on the head, Steve. He can get away with impulsive shots when gambling, because there's time to outrun mistakes. But not in a defined tournament race.

Alex --along with a few others-- are able to contain their strategy and tactics within a defined time period, and pace their play accordingly. Put that together with excellent talent, and you have a perfect tournament machine.

I'd still bet with Frost gambling at 1P with anyone in the world, including Alex. But he's not currently very capable of winning tournaments with his style of play. I suspect that Cardone has been trying to explain this to Frost. Scott needs a week or two with Artie, or even Jeremy Jones. With Scott's firepower, and the patience and tactical capacity of, say, a Chris Gentile, Scott would be unbeatable. Still, it's hard to convince a greyhound to slow down...

Not to take anything away from Frost. He played well mostly for the whole tournament. I do believe that the gruelling 7+ hour match with JJ had to have tired him. To then face a fresh and eager Pagulayan was just too much.

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It's funny how things turn out. Alex played so bad the first match against Joey Gray. Joey should have easily beat Alex. In the end, Alex stayed in the match and waited for Joey to make the end game mistakes. Alex is a true Champion

keoneyo

Verified Member
We all have flaws. Leaks in our game. Its up to us to be honest to fix that problem. If we think that we don't and that its some other external reason we fail then we really fail. Blaming bad rolls, sharking, the equipment, etc. is easy to do. I think Alex and Efren and the rest of the major Filipino players attempt to correct their flaws. This is what makes Alex a superior player imo. Yes they have ego and pride but they still know that they are human and are capable of mistakes and weakness at times.

I guess when you hear that you are great. That you are the best in cash game play. That you have superior fire power. Its hard to believe you have any flaws. But I hope Scott can learn from this and Alex will not be overcome with the taste of victory. For the next match up will be very interesting to say the least.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I want to thank all of you who attended or watched this event this past week. Buffalo pulled out all the stops to get his room ready and the fans were treated to some exceptional one pocket. A few takeaways:

-JJ played very well and is getting back into the groove. He still is not pocketing the balls like he wants, but the rest of his game is right there.

-Tony Chohan is back to his old form and is a very dangerous man.

-At this level, pool is as mental as it is physical. Chip and Danny are in a rut right now and have low confidence.

-Joey went two and out, but he is a force in this game and will give anyone problems.

-Alex is a mutant. You have to be lucky and good to win a tournament. He can overcome mistakes because of his exceptional ball striking skills. After the Joey match, which he was lucky to win, he was hitting balls for over an hour. He was making shots the others can't make. His cue striking looks purer and different than the rest of the field. And his mental makeup is bullet proof.

-I was proud of Cliff's effort in the match against Tony. He is a bird with a broken wing, but he all but clipped Tony from sheer knowledge and will.

Overall, it was a good event and the staff at Buffalo's did a first rate job handling the crowd and taking care of all of us. We had some problems with the PA system during the calcutta, but other than that, I didn't hear any complaints, which says a lot.