May 21-24 BIG One Pocket Tournament Buffalo's Billiards New Orleans, La

Bigtruck

Verified Member
This is going to be a great event!! All races to 5!

Attachments

• BUFFALOS_BILLIARDS - AZ.jpg
    BUFFALOS_BILLIARDS - AZ.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sounds like a good event! It's about time Buff is parting with some of that poker machine money.:D I suspect that he wants to get into the grease, what with the recent activities at Lacy's, and the likely big 1P event to be in Baton Rouge this Fall.

Ironically I've been after him for years to have a full 1P event, but he'd only have 9 ball tournies. He's finally having a 1P, but it's realistically only for top pros.:)

There has been opinion discussion a while back on the site about whether $2K added to a $2K entry event is enough for the pros to warrant the expense of participating. Are the prize payout amounts guaranteed even with less than a full field? 1st thru 3rd places make it worthwhile, whereas $4K for 4th would cover expenses with perhaps $1K profit.

I hope 6 weeks is enough lead time. May isn't a bad choice for time of year-- before the heat becomes unbearable. All in all, I'm looking forward to it, and will undoubtedly go over to sweat a few matches. You gonna play, Bille?;)

~Doc

Bigtruck

Verified Member
The "Pro's" play in tournaments weekly that add $2000 and then take out $2100.

This is 100% payout of both tournament and calcutta plus NO FEES of any kind THEN $2000 added.

I think many people, especially the Pro's, are growing weary of the fuzzy math performed by many events. Real added and Pros treated like Pros.

See you there Doc. Let me know if you would like to sponsor all or a piece of a player.

Ray

Sounds like a good event! It's about time Buff is parting with some of that poker machine money.:D I suspect that he wants to get into the grease, what with the recent activities at Lacy's, and the likely big 1P event to be in Baton Rouge this Fall.

Ironically I've been after him for years to have a full 1P event, but he'd only have 9 ball tournies. He's finally having a 1P, but it's realistically only for top pros.:)

There has been opinion discussion a while back on the site about whether $2K added to a $2K entry event is enough for the pros to warrant the expense of participating. Are the prize payout amounts guaranteed even with less than a full field? 1st thru 3rd places make it worthwhile, whereas $4K for 4th would cover expenses with perhaps $1K profit.

I hope 6 weeks is enough lead time. May isn't a bad choice for time of year-- before the heat becomes unbearable. All in all, I'm looking forward to it, and will undoubtedly go over to sweat a few matches. You gonna play, Bille?;)

~Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

~Doc

Doc; this is right in your own back yard! I'm hoping to see you in action in this tourney! C'mon man, don't disappoint your Bud's on 1P. I'd bet Billie will swim a swamp full of Gators to play! :lol In the 9 ball I'm guessing.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

~Doc

The added money of only $2,000 is setting a precedent that the players will be unhappy with down the road. However, it's hard for the players to not go and wait for something better, simply because there isn't anything better.:sorry I really believe that there are quite a few venues in the country where room owners can benefit from events like this one and add at least $5,000 for the players, especially in rooms that sell alcohol. A three or four day tournament that would draw some of the best players in the country would do very well, and in order to sustain the venture for both the players and the room owners there has to be something there for both parties. (imo)This type of an arrangement is not sustainable going forward and hopefully there are promoters that realize this and will get involved in hosting an event like this one for the better of the game, the players, and anyone else who are involved.

The added money is not guaranteeing the pay out advertised, like the poster reads..Based on a full field.

Say goodnight to the bad guy.

Dr. Bill

BRLongArm

Verified Member
New Orleans One Pocket Tourney

New Orleans One Pocket Tourney

For these tournaments to continue and flourish, both the room owners and the players have to see it as a good opportunity to make money. $2,500 from Buffalo is a substantial investment, considering the size of his room and his lack of kitchen. But we need more added money. To that end, I have agreed to put up an additional $1,000 for Buffalo's event and I invite other local one pocket enthusiasts/businessmen to sponsor the event. I will also be buying a percentage of several players and help with their lodging/food expenses.

I want to thank Buffalo and Big Truck for their love of our game and hosting a tournament for our viewing enjoyment. Things could always be better, but I choose to look at the positive and support their efforts.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
For these tournaments to continue and flourish, both the room owners and the players have to see it as a good opportunity to make money. $2,500 from Buffalo is a substantial investment, considering the size of his room and his lack of kitchen. But we need more added money. To that end, I have agreed to put up an additional $1,000 for Buffalo's event and I invite other local one pocket enthusiasts/businessmen to sponsor the event. I will also be buying a percentage of several players and help with their lodging/food expenses.

I want to thank Buffalo and Big Truck for their love of our game and hosting a tournament for our viewing enjoyment. Things could always be better, but I choose to look at the positive and support their efforts.

I obviously can't speak for others, but I'm sure I'm just one of many feeling real appreciation for your recent efforts.

You da MAN! :)

u12armresl

Verified Member
Issues have already been mentioned, (not as issues, but points which I see as issues)

Unless someone is already down there, it's just too far out of the way for a lot of players to travel.

2k entry, while I understand that the goal is to attract the best players, if someone has to split with a backer, they better win the event outright.

You can really only do a tournament with the small field, and if by some chance there ended up being a lot of people who wanted to watch, it would be uncomfortable in a small space like that.

Not sure about the "fuzzy math" but if you'd name a location or event, I'd be able to comment more directly.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc; this is right in your own back yard! I'm hoping to see you in action in this tourney! C'mon man, don't disappoint your Bud's on 1P. I'd bet Billie will swim a swamp full of Gators to play! :lol In the 9 ball I'm guessing.
Ha! I couldn't waste $2K on an entry. But if it were $250..... Also I don't think Bille is crazy enough to play with that kind of entry fee. Maybe he'll play the 9 ball, although he has no chance to cash, with all those sharpies over in the Big Sleazy.:D Personally I'd sooner go to the dentist and have 4 cavities drilled out than play in a Texas Express 9 ball event! They're right up there with playing the slots.:rolleyes: Might get in a little side betting though...

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The added money of only $2,000 is setting a precedent that the players will be unhappy with down the road. However, it's hard for the players to not go and wait for something better, simply because there isn't anything better.:sorry I really believe that there are quite a few venues in the country where room owners can benefit from events like this one and add at least $5,000 for the players, especially in rooms that sell alcohol. A three or four day tournament that would draw some of the best players in the country would do very well, and in order to sustain the venture for both the players and the room owners there has to be something there for both parties. (imo)This type of an arrangement is not sustainable going forward and hopefully there are promoters that realize this and will get involved in hosting an event like this one for the better of the game, the players, and anyone else who are involved.

The added money is not guaranteeing the pay out advertised, like the poster reads..Based on a full field. Dr. Bill

I agree with your points, Bill. JAM has often remarked about what a losing proposition tournaments are for the pros. It's a Catch-22, as you say. The players need to play to take a shot at the little money they can get. But the expenses make it unlikely that they'll come out ahead.

On the other hand I don't see how promoters/hosts are ever to make any money on tournaments. Even in large events like the DCC. I suspect that if it weren't for the advertising write off, Diamond wouldn't be doing the events. They must be a net loss.

Most events are put on for the love of the game and for prestige. But we were always able to get a couple of grand from a beer distributor. And that was for amateur and handicapped events! If the room had poker machines, we could have gotten much more added.

But it is what it is. That's the state of pro pool today in specific, and pool in general.

~Doc

BRLongArm

Verified Member
New Orleans One pocket tourney May 22-25

New Orleans One pocket tourney May 22-25

Welcome to Louisiana, players. Bring your stake horse and make your way to the Big Easy. All registered one pocket players get their rooms comped. There will be a lot of action there and Buffalo's never closes. We expect round the clock action from Thursday till whenever.

Gamblers and sweaters welcome. Contact PoolactionTV or Buffalo's Billiards for help with hotels.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Welcome to Louisiana, players. Bring your stake horse and make your way to the Big Easy. All registered one pocket players get their rooms comped. There will be a lot of action there and Buffalo's never closes. We expect round the clock action from Thursday till whenever.

Gamblers and sweaters welcome. Contact PoolactionTV or Buffalo's Billiards for help with hotels.
Joe, that is exceedingly nice of you to see that the 1P player's rooms will be taken care of! That virtually assures a full field. Look forward to meeting you over there.

~Doc

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doc

Doc

Depends if the new contract I am working on comes in...if it does, I don't mind learning from the pro's...

B

ps last time I played at buffalo's I really liked the tight tables...lil sal played great...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hey Doc, maybe we can have some action✈️
If you're referring to side betting, that's a distinct possibility. If you're talking about matching up in 1P, I'll have to consult with my manager, Col. Bille.:D

BTW, that's a neat little airplane symbol thingy you used at the end of the sentence.

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Fantastic!! I look forward to watching via Big Truck!!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If you're referring to side betting, that's a distinct possibility. If you're talking about matching up in 1P, I'll have to consult with my manager, Col. Bille.:D

BTW, that's a neat little airplane symbol thingy you used at the end of the sentence.

~Doc

The Col. also has action:)