From
Ghosttown
game score 2-1 martinez ahead
ball score 5-5
martinez shot
get your popcorn its a saturday matinee:D
what would you do....????
View attachment 5065

I'm assuming the brown 4ball isn't dead - that would be too obvious...so...I'd 2-rail out of the bottom right corner, shooting firmly - hoping to hit rail first and take the 6 out, or possibly making it for him....in the pic the 6 looks like it's lying in a good place for the shot - meaning that it's out of the pocket enough to take it out rail first, but not out far enough for a rail first scratch to be looming.

- Gh:hehst

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Can not tell from the pic if the brown ball is a dead carom. If it is, I would shoot it with follow to make the 6 ball also.

If not I would use a billiard system to kick two rails off the end rail at the 6.

Bill S.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
ball score 5-5
martinez shot

Here's what I would do. Efren wouldn't bank the two straight-backs that I would leave because that ball on my side rail goes from uptable and might even go from this position if someone was crazy enough to shoot it. The 2 would bank cross-corner and the ball on the rail can be carromed in, but I like my shot for money.

Dennis

CD's Shot.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Maybe just kick the six in one rail with a little right spin. No need to open anything up here.

ghost and bill stroud went for the 2 rail kick
frank prefers the 1 rail
would any of you or anyone else say why they would prefer 1 or 2 rail kick to the six???

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ghost and bill stroud went for the 2 rail kick
frank prefers the 1 rail
would any of you or anyone else say why they would prefer 1 or 2 rail kick to the six???

Larry...I'll give you three reasons why...

1. The 2ball is slightly in the way for it to be a natural one rail angle.

2. You have a better chance of getting 6ball out of there (short rail first, or long rail first) with the longer angle that the 2-rail kick gives you.

3. With the 2-rail kick, you can make a much better bridge - in shooting the 1rail kick you're almost shooting off the rail.

- Ghost

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Here's what I would do. Efren wouldn't bank the two straight-backs that I would leave because that ball on my side rail goes from uptable and might even go from this position if someone was crazy enough to shoot it. The 2 would bank cross-corner and the ball on the rail can be carromed in, but I like my shot for money.

Dennis

View attachment 5068

Dennis, i was looking at this shot earlier and i would go with your choice. Keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry...I'll give you three reasons why...

1. The 2ball is slightly in the way for it to be a natural one rail angle.

2. You have a better chance of getting 6ball out of there (short rail first, or long rail first) with the longer angle that the 2-rail kick gives you.

3. With the 2-rail kick, you can make a much better bridge - in shooting the 1rail kick you're almost shooting off the rail.

- Ghost

thanks ghost
always like to learn the reasons behind the choices
:)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If it aint dead....

If it aint dead....

... then any good pool player should know how to make it dead. It is certainly looking close enough to be "adjusted" to go.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yes it could be 'adjusted' to go..But I would think Raphael might be the only player on the planet, who would go for it !...:eek:

I'm going to try and get the 6 ball, (in or out)...one way or the other !

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yes it could be 'adjusted' to go..But I would think Raphael might be the only player on the planet, who would go for it !...:eek:

I'm going to try and get the 6 ball, (in or out)...one way or the other !

are you going to get the 6 out shooting the other way or one way???
or two way???
inquiring minds want to know...:rolleyes:....:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Here's what I would do. Efren wouldn't bank the two straight-backs that I would leave because that ball on my side rail goes from uptable and might even go from this position if someone was crazy enough to shoot it. The 2 would bank cross-corner and the ball on the rail can be carromed in, but I like my shot for money...You will have NO money, if you shoot that shot !!!

Dennis

View attachment 5068

Dear Einstein,

The only way you could make the 4 ball travel to the bottom rail, (as you diagrammed) would be with a lot of low english...High english looks to me like, will make it hit about 6" above Martinez' pocket...:rolleyes:

SmartDuck <--Thinks maybe you should stick to your 'Greenshit' and leave shot selection to the experts...:eek: :p :p

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
ball score 5-5
martinez shot
View attachment 5065
Nothing fancy for me given that all those balls are tied up, except the hanger. No way am I disturbing those tied up balls in this situation with this score. I like the double carom bank with follow in other situations but definitely not this one since it always would be opening up all the balls that Efren needs to get out (unless a ball just happens to drop in my own pocket, which does not look too likely in the diagram).

So, I would be satisfied with giving Reyes the 6-ball, which I would shoot one rail with a little right english -- simply based on the "shorter path" principle.

In fact, I would like to have the cue ball follow the 6 in, as a preference to just making it for Efren (slight odds advantage of 4-3 vs 3-2 score). "taking the 6 ball out" is a great idea but doesn't look that likely in that location without more accuracy than I would be able to muster either one rail or two rails -- so my priority is making the 6 the easiest way I see, which is one rail for me.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2012-01-08_12-13-41.jpg
    Greenshot_2012-01-08_12-13-41.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I prefer the one rail kick even if the two ball is in the way for a natural kick. Very little spin is needed to beat the two ball. Controlling the speed of the shot would be important for me. With the one rail kick I feel confident of making the six and leaving the cue ball there. I could shoot it with a bit of speed if I didn't mind the scratch after pocketing the ball. With a bit of speed it's possible to kick the six out but there is a chance of a kiss and leaving it there, that's why I would play to make the ball.

The two rail kick also involves a bit of spin to run the cue ball and more distance is involved. Also there is a slight chance of hitting the short rail first and scratching without making the six.
Making the six and scratching is a possibility with both kicks but less likely with the one rail kick. Personally I wouldn't want him to have the opportunity to shoot from behind the head string with multiple options.

Bill Stroud talks about using a billiard system for the two railer which is fine if you know the table. Personally I think the one rail kick would be more consistent now knowing the table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve and frank thanks for you thoughts on why the one rail option.
i'll let some more time pass to see if bill wants to say why the 2 railer
even the one railer he would use a billiard system
maybe sjd will give a serious opinion........?????????

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
NOTE
condensing several shot choices into one post

the carom was close to being on
but with the follow needed
would have made the ball go short(as sjd pointed out)
although dennis i dont think was trying to make the carom
it was a nice "power shot"
and one that rafael would shoot
BUT......
why would you one rail or 2 rail kick when you can just
MASSE the cue ball around the obstacles to make the 6...:eek:
why didnt i think of that???:D
er2.jpg

Last edited: