Luck In Pool

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have a small concept that I've never heard anyone expound on, so I will.

It's equally important to know why you won when you win as it is to know why you lost when you lose.

Many players don't think about why they won when they win but it can stop you from an out-of-line rematch if you think about it. You must be critical of your own game and see clearly what happened in order to respond correctly to it.

If you want to attribute things to your wins or losses that are not really there, then you will not know the correct answers to the concept.

If you figure you had some bad luck and lost you may be missing an opportunity to win because your judgement is clouded by something that's not there.

You must know the reasons why you win or lose and including luck or fortune or good/bad rolls into the equation only muddies the water and prevents you from seeing what is there.

It's lucky for you that I felt like sharing this:cool: .

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:

It's equally important to know why you won when you win as it is to know why you lost when you lose.

Many players don't think about why they won when they win but it can stop you from an out-of-line rematch if you think about it. You must be critical of your own game and see clearly what happened in order to respond correctly to it.

If you want to attribute things to your wins or losses that are not really there, then you will not know the correct answers to the concept.

If you figure you had some bad luck and lost you may be missing an opportunity to win because your judgement is clouded by something that's not there.

You must know the reasons why you win or lose and including luck or fortune or good/bad rolls into the equation only muddies the water and prevents you from seeing what is there.

Dennis

You are starting to sound like a guy who lives in Vegas, and never looses...but thank you for sharing...I think..:cool:

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

I had, at one time, might of considered me as being lucky I clicked on this thread and read this, but thanks to me being enlightened about there being no such thing as luck, I have attributed me arriving here, as a concious act on my part that was not a impulse, but a planned well thought out execution of my curiosity.:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:

It's lucky for you that I felt like sharing this

Dennis
dennis i took your emoticom away because deep dowm inside i know you are serious
prior to the shot everyone above bangers has a plan where the balls and q are supposed to go. the EXACT spot they should land is determined by the level of the player.
if you get on or off by a little it WASNT LUCK:eek:
you hit it to soft or too hard or not enough spin.
thats it sorry for a reality check. jmho

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Try this one on, Dennis. It happened to me a while back. I had a shot where I needed to play tight shape near a ball in order to get the good angle on the ob. I shoot, the cb stops perfectly where it needs to be, THEN rolls sideways about 1/4 inch and I'm hooked behind that ball. Turns out there was a little dimple in the crease between two pieces of the slate or something, the cb landed right on the edge of it, and fell in. Nobody knew it was there. Damn BAD LUCK is what I call that! :D

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Luck

Luck

A few thoughts;
I believe some people are luckier doing certain things than other people.
I'm superstitious and believe most gamblers are.
My youngest son says 'it's unlucky to be superstitious" :)
Confusious said "to speak well of a thing is to curse it", so I'm tempting fate but here goes.
I've always believed that I'm a lucky one pocket player. At least 3/6 times every 3/4 hr. session I say "lucky boy" or "lucky devil" speaking of myself. :p
Rod.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
androd said:
A few thoughts;
Confusious said "to speak well of a thing is to curse it", so I'm tempting fate but here goes.
I've always believed that I'm a lucky one pocket player. At least 3/6 times every 3/4 hr. session I say "lucky boy" or "lucky devil" speaking of myself. :p
Rod.

Interesting... I know of this old guy from the Philippines that says that all the time, after he wins.... "Aw... I don't know.. I just go lucky":D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis i took your emoticom away because deep dowm inside i know you are serious
prior to the shot everyone above bangers has a plan where the balls and q are supposed to go. the EXACT spot they should land is determined by the level of the player.
if you get on or off by a little it WASNT LUCK:eek:
you hit it to soft or too hard or not enough spin.
thats it sorry for a reality check. jmho

Larry,

I have no idea what you are saying with this post.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
Damn BAD LUCK is what I call that! :D

Skin

I had a similar roll happen one time. The cueball wiggled into a crater on the footspot just as it was almost stopped perfect. It was the only bad roll I ever got in my life and I still remember who I was playing and how we were playing.

I always figured that if it ever happened to me a second time then it wouldn't be a bad roll, it would be my stupidity for playing on that table knowing that the footspot was cratered like that.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

The point of my post was not so everybody could tell me how lucky/unlucky you are when the balls go precisely where you shot them. The point was the above quoted line. I suppose it's a lost cause now. Sorry for bringing it up.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
The point of my post was not so everybody could tell me how lucky/unlucky you are when the balls go precisely where you shot them. The point was the above quoted line. I suppose it's a lost cause now. Sorry for bringing it up.

Dennis

RBL

You are very LUCKY I don't tell you what I think about your "Einstein" theory on LUCK...:rolleyes:

SBL

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:

That is a excellent point, and was not lost on myself. I try to logically put the session in perspective, after it's been played, so I can assess where I stand in the matchup. Thanks for sharing!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Most of the times when I win I got lucky, but when we play again I get lucky again. How would you handicap that. :)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
A few thoughts;
Rod.
Maybe you put yourself in positions that induces luck, after all luck is a residue of skill.:D You lucky DEVIL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
RBL

You are very LUCKY I don't tell you what I think about your "Einstein" theory on LUCK...:rolleyes:

SBL

Dear Rabbits Foot Breath,

I don't have a theory on luck, all of you do. My theory consists of being responsible for the final resting place of all balls that I shoot. It's not rocket science but it's starting to feel like it.

RBL

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dear Rabbits Foot Breath,

I don't have a theory on luck, all of you do. My theory consists of being responsible for the final resting place of all balls that I shoot. It's not rocket science but it's starting to feel like it.

RBL
dennis as ive gotten to know you thru your posts and pms you are a very principled man for which i resoect your values:)
your attitude of the balls did what i did to them is what happened after the shot.
is not luck , bad roll etc is the "crutch " for losers.
thats what i tried to say in my post you did not understand.
to those of you that feel some days you are lucky and some days you are not.......... try this explanation:eek:
some days you execute better than others.jmho

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis as ive gotten to know you thru your posts and pms you are a very principled man for which i resoect your values:)
your attitude of the balls did what i did to them is what happened after the shot.
is not luck , bad roll etc is the "crutch " for losers.
thats what i tried to say in my post you did not understand.
to those of you that feel some days you are lucky and some days you are not.......... try this explanation:eek:
some days you execute better than others.jmho

Thanks lll, now I understand what you were saying.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Dennis, I saw your key statement, and as a matter of fact, I also do that - and not mainly to analyze match-ups, but to remember key/game-changing shots that were made, both good and bad, and then profit by going over those shots in my mind...and I don't just do it after a session, I'll usually do it after games, and sometimes before a game is even over...otherwise I might forget the shots.

- Ghost