Louis DeMarco vs. Tony Fargo 2003 D.C.C.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Drop the 4 and come back up to the head rail on Demarco's side. I wouldn't want to hit the combo at the top of the table funny and leave a shot, nor would I want to leave a shot at the spot ball. If he takes the spot ball, he's either got a difficult shot on those two up-table..

On second thought, fire away at the 3(?). If he makes it, thin the six and get Fargo to open something up. If he misses, there won't be much to pick from and Fargo will either have to back down or open something up still.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im trying to make the bank
then make one of the balls in the corner
the one to the right as you look at the screen
take this as an opportunity to teach me how to play banks:)
bb2.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
im trying to make the bank, I know it's a very difficult shot that must be hit perfect and at a high rate of speed and I will not win if I make it but will probably lose if I miss it.
then make one of the balls in the corner
the one to the right as you look at the screen
take this as an opportunity to teach me how to play banks:)
View attachment 5517

Does that help?:p:):eek:

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Only one shot

Only one shot

There is only one shot here. One. For a million reasons. Playing Mickey the Mope or John Brumback, there is only one thing to do. In stroke, out of stroke. 5 a game or 500 a game. I will hold my post for awhile and give others a chance to figure it out -- and give their reasons.

Beard

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
I am shooting this shot. It is a pretty safe shot and it won't give him a shot at making a ball unless he does something very aggressive.

shot.jpg

Last edited:

4Point

From
Bartlett, Illinois
I've been subscribing to a similar line of thinking to Dennis for awhile now and I must admit that I am content with the results - if you can't win but have the potential to go down further or even lose, then reevaluate your choice. With this layout, being down as DeMarco is currently depicted, my 1st thought would be to get balls back in play - as safely as possible. With a ball on the spot, you've gotsta pocket a hanger and proceed up table. The diagram seems a bit nebulous on whether the 1 ball can be made but more over, you do not want to scratch nor bump the 3 off the spot heading back up table...I like BANKS' original idea. Ask your self, if you leave the CB any where near where it is now with 2 balls on the spot...what would you do if you were Tony? Not much offensive comes to mind and are you really going to want to put more balls back in play like your opponent has shown he wants & needs? You could conceivably have all 5 balls lined up on the spot (and 6 open pockets) for a future turn - is that so bad? The score with that layout wouldn't seem any where near as daunting as it does now.

Dave

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I've been subscribing to a similar line of thinking to Dennis for awhile now and I must admit that I am content with the results - if you can't win but have the potential to go down further or even lose, then reevaluate your choice. With this layout, being down as DeMarco is currently depicted, my 1st thought would be to get balls back in play - as safely as possible. With a ball on the spot, you've gotsta pocket a hanger and proceed up table. The diagram seems a bit nebulous on whether the 1 ball can be made but more over, you do not want to scratch nor bump the 3 off the spot heading back up table...I like BANKS' original idea. Ask your self, if you leave the CB any where near where it is now with 2 balls on the spot...what would you do if you were Tony? Not much offensive comes to mind and are you really going to want to put more balls back in play like your opponent has shown he wants & needs? You could conceivably have all 5 balls lined up on the spot (and 6 open pockets) for a future turn - is that so bad? The score with that layout wouldn't seem any where near as daunting as it does now.

Dave

Thats a great point... guess what? if you end up with all 5 balls lined up YOU are going to be the one left uptable having to open them up. Th 3 ball bank back where you are standing is FREE!!! whats he going to bank if you miss it? NOTHING

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Is that New Era Pool?

Is that New Era Pool?

I rarely play bank pool. I would bank the 3 ball right back at the pocket Louis is standing over. It looks free to me.

...You know the kind that ancients like me have let pass them by.:lol

Bank pool stategy is not so much different than one pocket. One of the main things you want to do in both games is have enough balls in play in order to get out, and conversely, if you are ahead you want to make sure there are not enough balls in play in order for your oppo to get out.

Beard

This situation is an automatic.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Puhleeeze...

Puhleeeze...

Thats a great point... guess what? if you end up with all 5 balls lined up YOU are going to be the one left uptable having to open them up. Th 3 ball bank back where you are standing is FREE!!! whats he going to bank if you miss it? NOTHING

Quit while you are behind, Hacker. You're swimming out to deep water. Remember, I am watching. There is no "professor" capable of marking my grades.:)

Beard

onepockethacker

Verified Member
...You know the kind that ancients like me have let pass them by.:lol

Bank pool stategy is not so much different than one pocket. One of the main things you want to do in both games is have enough balls in play in order to get out, and conversely, if you are ahead you want to make sure there are not enough balls in play in order for your oppo to get out.

Beard

This situation is an automatic.

Do tell us OH MASTER BEARD what is the correct shot. dont tell me you want to combo the 6 8 in

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am used up

I am used up

Do tell us OH MASTER BEARD what is the correct shot. dont tell me you want to combo the 6 8 in

I have to make this brief. I used up a little too much brainpower responding to my old pal, SJD, who impugned my integrity again.

Briefly, you need 4 balls to win. There are only 3 make able balls on the table. He only needs 2 balls to win. He can win and you cant. Case closed. Therefore, the only shot is rail first on the pink (4?) ball with speed. The cue ball goes 4 rails and back to the head rail. Ball gets spotted, now you can win too. At worst you will leave a 2 in the side or a tricky straight back on those balls on the head rail. I would address more issues, your choice, etc. but Dickbrain drained my creative juices.

Beard

Now you are learning, with that Master Beard stuff.:lol

4Point

From
Bartlett, Illinois

Tis' true OPH...I thought about that as well but this hypothetical situation (all 5 balls on the spot & you up table) would probably become a long shot as the caliber of your opponent rises...main reason would be Fred's opening line regarding strategy. If I'm Tony after dropping the 4 ball, I am not even considering putting more balls back in play or opening another pocket. However, there is certainly a contingent of players that would oblige you and continue 'ducking' by placing more bullets on the spot.

To address the 3 straight back - in either pocket - certainly does appear free if hit well but man oh man, lord knows I've attempted this shot a multitude of times but unfortunately, with a multitude of results as well. If hit with any firmness, I could foresee either a scratch, pocketing the 1 or 4, or disturbing the 6 - 8...you'd just pray that it wasn't a combination of 2 or all 3 of these game changing scenarios!!! I personally would be a bit too concerned with the accuracy of the hit, with the score & layout as it sits, to undertake this option.

-Dave

John Brumback

Verified Member
I can't believe no one has picked the right shot yet.I saw the shot even before Dennis put up the second pic.As soon as i got to the table i wouldn't be looking at anything else but shooting that 6 into the 8 and knocking them both down table and sticking the cball right there on the rail.
Best shot by far in this situation with the score as it is.

PS: I hate to brag but.. I have won every single full rack bank tourny since the late 80's... and still counting. Just thought i would throw this out there:lol
John B.

mojoe

JB is the man!!

JB is the man!!

I can't believe no one has picked the right shot yet.I saw the shot even before Dennis put up the second pic.As soon as i got to the table i wouldn't be looking at anything else but shooting that 6 into the 8 and knocking them both down table and sticking the cball right there on the rail.
Best shot by far in this situation with the score as it is.

PS: I hate to brag but.. I have won every single full rack bank tourny since the late 80's... and still counting. Just thought i would throw this out there:lol
John B.

I think your advice is pretty darn sporty JB.. I've seen ya make a bank or two!!