Looking for stills of breaks

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Rod, Great photos...much more preferable than looking at a f-ing WEI table....Are those REAL Balls and a cue ball ???..:eek:

Dick, I thought that "real" balls had a pink 4 & 12 ball and a brown 7 & 15 ball. Almost forgot, the "real" cueball we had had redspots on it. I thought that at any moment Billy I. was going to say "I'd shoot the blue 2 ball into the pink 4 ball and carom it into the brown 15 ball":) .

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cowboy Dennis said:
Rod,

I remember trying your break and didn't mind it at all once I got the hang of it.

Actually, for those who think the cueball should be closer to the siderail, that's only important if the corner ball comes out, otherwise the cueball being where Rod leaves it cuts off options to play safe. Think about it: the closer to the rack the cueball is the less options you have.
Dennis, to what type of break of Rod's are you referring? Is it a 2nd/3rd ball hit?

Your point is well taken about the CB position after the break, except that when the CB is left on or very near the rail it takes away the possibility of a draw shot. For example in the second picture, a guy could draw safe off the 14 down to the opponent's corner; whereas if the CB is on the rail that shot is taken away from him.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Dennis, to what type of break of Rod's are you referring? Is it a 2nd/3rd ball hit?

Your point is well taken about the CB position after the break, except that when the CB is left on or very near the rail it takes away the possibility of a draw shot. For example in the second picture, a guy could draw safe off the 14 down to the opponent's corner; whereas if the CB is on the rail that shot is taken away from him.

Doc
You're exactly right about that shot Doc. ;) It was my opponents break and I blasted the 14 ball into the stack and forced the CB down to the end rail. I lined him him up but it wasn't important because the stack opened and quite a few balls surronded my pocket. :)
Rod.
PS; That shot isn't usually available after my breaks. Post #10 and lower pic post #15.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc,

Here is Rod's break from the first time he drank enough margaritas to share it with us:D .

I hope this link works, the Duck will laugh at me if it doesn't.

http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=20949&postcount=21

u12armresl

Verified Member
Hello Everyone,

Still looking for some break still shots.

Not very many people are replying, we all have cell phones, just snap a quick shot of breaks and send them off to me.

Even if you only send 1 pic, that's one more to add to the list.

Thanks.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i'll try to send some. when rod posted some here it generated a nice discussion. maybe you could put a pic up here too??? giving can help receiving.jmho

u12armresl

Verified Member
I can put up a pic, but my goal is to make an e-book to give out to anyone who wants it of breaks and some analysis from players.

I don't have a lot of pics now, but would like to get 300 total pics. Something to do in order to stimulate the mind.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
The 2nd one is mine. Most of them look like this. I like not having the corner ball come out and don't plan to change it. In fact I've had excelent sucess with it. Most of the people I've played for any length of time begin to break the same way. I know it's not the conventional thinking. I personally have a hard time hitting my target with much english.
Rod.
PS; I ran 6 balls my 3rd shot.
PPS, Post # 10 is my break also, basically won that game on my 2nd shot, ran 7 balls. I'm playing people I spot 2 and 3 balls. Maybe your speed ? As you can see they don't break too well.

Rod, I also have adopted this break. Thanks for sharing it. It is an excellent tip.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Rod, I also have adopted this break. Thanks for sharing it. It is an excellent tip.

Skin

Skin, we'll never get to the top of the one pocket world with it, but we'll make it tougher on the guys our speed and weaker. :p if you have any questions PM me.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
rod i pmed skin bit i must go straight to the source. you. i know you posted this but i couldnt find it. how do you break??? how far from the long rail do you put the q ball? no inside english but still try to split the first 2 balls???

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
rod i pmed skin bit i must go straight to the source. you. i know you posted this but i couldnt find it. how do you break??? how far from the long rail do you put the q ball? no inside english but still try to split the first 2 balls???

Larry, Dennis' post. This thread # 24.
Rod. :)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Here's a new one for you. I banked the 10 ball but I'm pretty adventurous.:p
Kicking the 13 ball might be a good shot.
Rod.

Attachments

• break'em 001.jpg
    break'em 001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
i assume into the stack but why not the 6:confused: i assume he broke

Larry, to make the CB go where I wanted I was afraid the 6 would hit the 5 ball.
I banked the 10 ball and it hit the end rail in front of the 1 ball and bounced to the long rail.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Larry, to make the CB go where I wanted I was afraid the 6 would hit the 5 ball.
I banked the 10 ball and it hit the end rail in front of the 1 ball and bounced to the long rail.

If you guys don't mind me chiming in (or chyme-ing in depending on your perspective :) ), I have discovered that when he leaves the wing ball close to your hole off his break, it is a strong move to get another ball over there on the other rail early, like Rod did here, and leave traffic between both, like Rod did also. The power of cutting off large parts of the the table from his potential safeties with those two balls is always good, but it is especially useful when trying to turn around a good break by him, IMHO.

Skin < has been working hard on strategies for turning around the break; has now just about mastered the pre-beginner's level ;)

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
another break

another break

This was my break, they mostly all look somewhat like this.
Rod.

Attachments

• break'em 002.jpg
    break'em 002.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

Skin

Verified Member
Here's one of mine that is on the higher side of OK using my version of Rod's breaking technique (surprisingly very similar result to post #33; Rod's banking the 2 here, folks!:)). If they spread well, the wing ball goes down to about the 1st diamond on his side. If they don't spread well, then the wing ball stays put like in Rod's photo just above. But, I never get them to look like yours, Rod. Maybe because it's usually very dry here?

Skin

Yes peeps, that is a 4.75" corner pocket opening on the old Anniversary in the garage. :)

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
androd said:
Here's a new one for you. I banked the 10 ball but I'm pretty adventurous.:p
Kicking the 13 ball might be a good shot.
Rod.

I am thinning the 14 and freezing on the back of the 9.

Dud

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Rod, please tell us more about the shot from the layout in Post 33. You banked the 10 back into the short rail near the 1 ball?? Am I missing something here? :eek: :confused: