Little, Little Richard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Here is a clip from when Little Richard was really little.
Is it any wonder he was an all-time great? http://www.wimp.com/oldschool/

Beard

Those of you who werent around in the 50s have no idea how exciting people like Little Richard and Chuck Berry were. I feel for the younger generation that have no such stars to get excited over. Somebody want to compare rappers to
Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis?
 

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,434
That was amazing. No way to teach that. Some people are just born with the talent. Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it.
 

CaliRed

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
1,963
that's a great site, Freddy... thanks for sharing it.

It's mind boggling to see what gifted kids can do, when the majority of kids have the attention span of all of 1 minute. That's was very entertaining to watch, it was evident he was enjoying himself.
 

petie

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
3,314
That was really great. I couldn't help but try to draw a lesson from watching this that was transferable to one pocket. Just shoot me. You can tell by the way he 'fingered' the keys that he had been able to find a way to achieve his desired result, the sound he wanted, by original invention or art. It is my belief that all champions posess this virtue the same way Mohamed Ali invented rope-a-dope on the spot as a way to deal with George Forman's overwhelming firepower. There are times when you just have to find a way to win that you didn't previously know.

On another part of you post, Freddie, I'm an old schooler who didn't like any rap until I heard M&M do "You've Got to Lose Yourself" for the first time. It stirred my heart and my brain in such a way that forever after I listen for his music. Not sure he's as great as Little Richard or Chuck Berry or Paul McCartney but he is exciting and talented and artistic.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Like anything...

Like anything...

petie said:
That was really great. I couldn't help but try to draw a lesson from watching this that was transferable to one pocket. Just shoot me. You can tell by the way he 'fingered' the keys that he had been able to find a way to achieve his desired result, the sound he wanted, by original invention or art. It is my belief that all champions posess this virtue the same way Mohamed Ali invented rope-a-dope on the spot as a way to deal with George Forman's overwhelming firepower. There are times when you just have to find a way to win that you didn't previously know.

On another part of you post, Freddie, I'm an old schooler who didn't like any rap until I heard M&M do "You've Got to Lose Yourself" for the first time. It stirred my heart and my brain in such a way that forever after I listen for his music. Not sure he's as great as Little Richard or Chuck Berry or Paul McCartney but he is exciting and talented and artistic.
...there is good and bad. I have to admit that I have heard some rap numbers that I enjoyed, but the percentages for me run about 98% shit and 2% "george."

Beard
 

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
5,435
fred bentivegna said:
...there is good and bad. I have to admit that I have heard some rap numbers that I enjoyed, but the percentages for me run about 98% shit and 2% "george."

Beard


I like rap more than you I guess Freddy. In fact I would say that I'm up to 3.5 to 4 % george and 96% shit. I remember liking some early things by Tone Loc or somebody because it had a decent melody and hook. I remember liking Tupacs Tell Me How You Want It when girls stripped by it. Eminen (Marshall MAthers) is cool but the ones with just boring lines of goofy rhymes is not good for me. That reminds me of a story. I use to go to Atlanta to a strip club called InterSEXtion or something like that quite a few years ago. The girl I liked most would always dance to David Bowies' Young Americans. I was talking to her and naturally I wanted to know about her music choices. I said something like, you really like that Bowie song girl. The lyrics are weird as hell though right?? Even if the tune is fantastic. She replies-I use it because it lasts a long time and I can earn more and the folks seem to like it ok. She was not a strong music connoisseur but a strong earner

By the way thanks for that great site. I did not know the Little Richard playing as a child thing existed. I read his autobiography but It was a long time ago. A real wild man. I don't know how he kept from going down in "flames" Also that site got me stirred up and guess what. I am going to break out my gear and go do some wingsuit flying this afternoon. By the way when we sail down through the crevaces and valleys like that we call it grinding the crack. Please don't try this unless you take precautions and have proper training, but believe me, it's a lot of fun.........
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Windsuit flying?

Windsuit flying?

Jimmy B said:
I like rap more than you I guess Freddy. In fact I would say that I'm up to 3.5 to 4 % george and 96% shit. I remember liking some early things by Tone Loc or somebody because it had a decent melody and hook. I remember liking Tupacs Tell Me How You Want It when girls stripped by it. Eminen (Marshall MAthers) is cool but the ones with just boring lines of goofy rhymes is not good for me. That reminds me of a story. I use to go to Atlanta to a strip club called InterSEXtion or something like that quite a few years ago. The girl I liked most would always dance to David Bowies' Young Americans. I was talking to her and naturally I wanted to know about her music choices. I said something like, you really like that Bowie song girl. The lyrics are weird as hell though right?? Even if the tune is fantastic. She replies-I use it because it lasts a long time and I can earn more and the folks seem to like it ok. She was not a strong music connoisseur but a strong earner

By the way thanks for that great site. I did not know the Little Richard playing as a child thing existed. I read his autobiography but It was a long time ago. A real wild man. I don't know how he kept from going down in "flames" Also that site got me stirred up and guess what. I am going to break out my gear and go do some wingsuit flying this afternoon. By the way when we sail down through the crevaces and valleys like that we call it grinding the crack. Please don't try this unless you take precautions and have proper training, but believe me, it's a lot of fun.........

I dont know what that is, but I can guess. I think.

Beard
 

crystal cue

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
76
I feel for the younger generation that have no such stars to get excited over. Somebody want to compare rappers to
Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis?[/QUOTE]

Question for the day...if Buddy Holly lived would Elvis still be the King?
there is a song on youtube that I ran across "your the one" that Buddy and Waylon wrote,thats what I think of when I hear this seems they all had a lot of natural talent. CC
 

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
162
I think the 98% percent crap, 2% good music ratio applies to almost every genre.

Some of my favorite music is the best of rap or heavy metal, but when its bad, its intolerable. I like a fair amount of country music, but the few times I watched the country music channel, it was as bad or worse than MTV.

Give me a time machine and I'd still rather go see Jimi Hendrix than all the others from the 50's and 60's. The guys you mentioned Freddie were great, but the jazz artists around then are more interesting to me. Miles Davis, Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, etc...now we get freakin' Kenny G.
 

petie

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
3,314
Did Elvis write any of his music? If not, I really wonder if he belongs in the field.
 

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,315
petie said:
Did Elvis write any of his music? If not, I really wonder if he belongs in the field.
Well, they didn't call him " King " because he's buried in the yard. :D :p
Rod.
 

blackeee

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
877
fred bentivegna said:
Here is a clip from when Little Richard was really little.
Is it any wonder he was an all-time great? http://www.wimp.com/oldschool/

Beard

Those of you who werent around in the 50s have no idea how exciting people like Little Richard and Chuck Berry were. I feel for the younger generation that have no such stars to get excited over. Somebody want to compare rappers to
Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis?
Now ain't that cool!
 

petie

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
3,314
androd said:
Well, they didn't call him " King " because he's buried in the yard. :D :p
Rod.
King of what? Performers? No contest. I do think that when you perform original music of your own writing, you deserve your own category.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Elvis

Elvis

Elvis's last concert was in 1958. His estate still makes millions and millions every year. When he became famous he brought with him, and took care of all his friends -- like about 20 of them. Overseas, all his buddies loved him. He was the King to me and I wasnt all that crazy about all his records.

Beard

Although, to me there were 3 Kings of Rock and Roll, Little Richard and Chuck Berry were the other two.
 
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
petie said:
King of what? Performers? No contest. I do think that when you perform original music of your own writing, you deserve your own category.
Yeah Petie, all Presley had, was a great voice, good looks, charisma, and a stage presence second to none...Oh yeah, even when he got old and fat, he still had his pick of any female on the planet...That may be why he's still the "King" in my book....;)

Too bad another great R and R guy, Buddy Holly died so young. He and Roy Orbison could sure compete in the vocal arena, but both lacked Elvis' looks and stage presence...Much like Elton John, they had to do it all on talent, and they all wrote a lot of their own stuff.
 
Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
3,314
SJDinPHX said:
Yeah Petie, all Presley had, was a great voice, good looks, charisma, and a stage presence second to none...Oh yeah, even when he got old and fat, he still had his pick of any female on the planet...That may be why he's still the "King" in my book....;)

Too bad another great R and R guy, Buddy Holly died so young. He and Roy Orbison could sure compete in the vocal arena, but both lacked Elvis' looks and stage presence...Much like Elton John, they had to do it all on talent, and they all wrote a lot of their own stuff.
You just said that because you have the pick yourself still.
 
Top