Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
to me
the intended use of the bridge is to put the cue thru a groove in the head of the bridge and shoot
when you stack 2 or more bridges which is perfectly legal to me BECAUSE you still end up using the head of the bridge to shoot your shot
jmho
icbw
if the player in the pic took a buch of chalks and laid a house cue on them and did the same thing you would not say it was lrgal ...would you??
if that is not legal
than why does the fact that he has the bridge head on one rail make it legal??

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Perfectly legal. (except for the chalk)

Using the bridge this way has been used many times in 14-1 to shoot over the rack.

Usually it is limited to using just two bridges.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
From WPA's rules it looks pretty clearly illegal to me.
It defines the bridge's use as to support the cue stick. Not a hand.

unoperro

Verified Member
SCRZBILL. is that what you had in mind? LOL

Maybe we are in for another version/thread?

crystal cue

Verified Member
From WPA's rules it looks pretty clearly illegal to me.
It defines the bridge's use as to support the cue stick. Not a hand.

If you made a bridge like you would use where the cue stick is touching the rail (tip of thumb touching middle finger and index finger around cue)so the cue stick was touching the bridge handle it looks like that would make it legal.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I agree that a bridge should be used exactly the way it was intended to be used. That said, there hasn't been much innovation on that front. It's time for a more versatile bridge, i.e., one with more shot accessibility features. Take this camera tripod, for example.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXG9NN...t=&hvlocphy=9012034&hvtargid=pla-314119775882

mini hijack
onerock
dont know if you have seen this bridge
its creative
i think its the nuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwVNK8p8as

Knuckles54

Verified Member
From
Canyonville Oregon
There are many types of bridges now, stacking... telo.. but a line needs to be drawn. Chalk being used to aid in shot making should not be permitted. It's not leagal to place chalk on the rail when laying out banks or kick shots.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Good explanation,
I agree also

If you made a bridge like you would use where the cue stick is touching the rail (tip of thumb touching middle finger and index finger around cue)so the cue stick was touching the bridge handle it looks like that would make it legal.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I'll let you guys argue over the bridge ("as intended" or "for the purpose intended"?) I'm staying on solid ground ruling the set-up and shot illegal as pictured because of the chalk. :)

I was reading through to see if anybody noticed the chalk under the butt end of the bridge, DARN IT!
You beat me to it.
So, if the chalk is intended as a bridge now, I suppose it's legal...LOL

crystal cue

Verified Member
I was reading through to see if anybody noticed the chalk under the butt end of the bridge, DARN IT!
You beat me to it.
So, if the chalk is intended as a bridge now, I suppose it's legal...LOL

The chalk and the closed hand bridge would be 2 different fouls on the same shot,if you called it what would he spot up?not sure if you can be called on 2 fouls in one inning?

El Chapo

Verified Member
The bridge is being used to assist the shooter in a hard to reach shot. The technique may be novel, but the bridge is being used for its intended purpose.

This isn't a hard to reach shot though. It's right there well within his reach.

If you think about all the times you see players using the bridge, it's when the length of the shot is the prohibitive factor (as in I can't reach it). When a guy gets jacked up over a ball and it's right near him easy to reach, you never see a player get a bridge out.

Even then though, I have nothing against a player using the bridge even if the shot isn't hard to reach. Of course that could be perfectly legal.

Anyway, I personally am surprised at the poll results. Don't confuse what you do in your local poolroom with real rules. Sometimes, as here, the "real rules" may not be well defined, to which I say, why in the hell wouldn't we just fix them as situations like this come up. It's not a million dollar question, but maybe it is worth a grand or two.