Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

youngstown

Verified Member
Legal or Not

I don't even notice the chalk! No wonder all you guys always find a better shot...

youngstown

Verified Member
Legal or Not

Legal or not...

Giordano's deep dish!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Come to think of it, I have a short (18" long) bridge I put together for one of my grandsons years ago. It would work perfectly in place of the chalk and then I'd be stacking two bridges. I'll have to start carrying it with me.

This could also work a couple of ways other than the way you mentioned, however I don't know as to the legality of either of the ways... In a tight rack area of clustered balls you could stand the 18" bridge on it's butt portion somewhere in the cluster of balls and hold onto the portion in between the bridge head and the butt cap, or if the bridge end was designed with a really wide bridge, you probably could find a spot to place the edge and have the elevation needed for shots like these... Of course it would also help if this custom bridge was telescoping....

baby huey

Verified Member
Sizzr, I can't vote on this one. It's a tough call. It certainly is creative as I've never seen a shot like this before and I'm pretty old. There are rules about bridges and I think another poster said that you can stack two bridges and that is a rule for 14.1 for sure but I don't know about one pocket. I mean there are so many new tools available to us nowadays like:

- jump cues
- cue extensions
- extra large bridge heads
- and this one

What seems to me is that we might consider adopting a platform for really standardizing the rules for One Pocket such that the rules would incorporate these devices and perhaps conduct as well. I think the BCA (governing body) would have to approve but I think we should consider doing so. I think Tom Wirth, Dr. Bill and many others in our group could convene a mini convention on the subject.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
To those of you who suggest the bridge is not being used in the manner for which it was intended I must ask how you come to that conclusion. He is obviously using it to bridge over a cluster of ball which is exactly what the bridge is for. He is simply using it in a unique way.

I first saw this in the 2002 US Open in Portland Maine. Santos Sambijon (sp?) used it on me and I asked the same question of the TD. He had to think about it for a moment and saw no reason to disqualify the method so Santos was free to shoot his shot. I thought it was a great and inventive way to play his position and over the years I've even used it on rare occasions. I've shown it to many players since then and I see it is becoming more frequently used.

What's to argue about? :)

Tom

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
Sizzr, I can't vote on this one. It's a tough call. It certainly is creative as I've never seen a shot like this before and I'm pretty old. There are rules about bridges and I think another poster said that you can stack two bridges and that is a rule for 14.1 for sure but I don't know about one pocket. I mean there are so many new tools available to us nowadays like:

- jump cues
- cue extensions
- extra large bridge heads
- and this one

What seems to me is that we might consider adopting a platform for really standardizing the rules for One Pocket such that the rules would incorporate these devices and perhaps conduct as well. I think the BCA (governing body) would have to approve but I think we should consider doing so. I think Tom Wirth, Dr. Bill and many others in our group could convene a mini convention on the subject.

When that Bridge Convention is gaveled to order they should also consider whether or not to allow the new Amazon Bridge (ships free overnight with Prime). It has multiple articulated brass bridge heads and drone rotors at either end. It can bring you a drink after the servers are done with you.

Some folks have been successful using the prototype Amazon bridge for massé shots from mid table, others don't like the noise from the motors. The one I tested tried to follow a waitress into the restroom after completing an especially stressful high altitude shot and was banned from the joint.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
The bridge is being used to assist the shooter in a hard to reach shot. The technique may be novel, but the bridge is being used for its intended purpose.

That's my vote.

I've stacked two bridges on top of each other once in a while and never had complaints. Like this one, people mostly say "that's clever, I'll have to use that sometime!"

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
To those of you who suggest the bridge is not being used in the manner for which it was intended I must ask how you come to that conclusion. He is obviously using it to bridge over a cluster of ball which is exactly what the bridge is for. He is simply using it in a unique way.

I first saw this in the 2002 US Open in Portland Maine. Santos Sambijon (sp?) used it on me and I asked the same question of the TD. He had to think about it for a moment and saw no reason to disqualify the method so Santos was free to shoot his shot. I thought it was a great and inventive way to play his position and over the years I've even used it on rare occasions. I've shown it to many players since then and I see it is becoming more frequently used.

What's to argue about? :)

Tom

I think it should be legal. I've used it a couple of times with no complains but never with the chalk. Did Santos use the chalk?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
When that Bridge Convention is gaveled to order they should also consider whether or not to allow the new Amazon Bridge (ships free overnight with Prime). It has multiple articulated brass bridge heads and drone rotors at either end. It can bring you a drink after the servers are done with you.

Some folks have been successful using the prototype Amazon bridge for massé shots from mid table, others don't like the noise from the motors. The one I tested tried to follow a waitress into the restroom after completing an especially stressful high altitude shot and was banned from the joint.
Ha! That's a riot!...:lol

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I think it should be legal. I've used it a couple of times with no complains but never with the chalk. Did Santos use the chalk?

No Frank, he probably would have if he needed to raise the bridge handle higher but instead he needed to raise the bridge head, so he turned it on its end.
Highly inventive!

Just my opinion but when something as novel as that is employed it would be a shame for some governing body to step in the way of progress and outlaw it. Shouldn't we all be looking for new ways to enhance the quality of our favorite game? :)

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
No Frank, he probably would have if he needed to raise the bridge handle higher but instead he needed to raise the bridge head, so he turned it on its end.
Highly inventive!

Just my opinion but when something as novel as that is employed it would be a shame for some governing body to step in the way of progress and outlaw it. Shouldn't we all be looking for new ways to enhance the quality of our favorite game? :)

Tom

tom i dont think it should be legal
new ways to enhance our game means jump cues are ok,,,,,:eek::eek::eek:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
tom i dont think it should be legal
new ways to enhance our game means jump cues are ok,,,,,:eek::eek::eek:

I see your point Larry. Personally, I am opposed to jump cues in any game, including rotation games. I believe it is arguable as to whether they enhance the game of pool. On one hand they help create very interesting shots and can be exciting to see. Jumping balls is legal in One Pocket but must be used with the same cue as used in the normal course of a game. A bridge is a bridge and is used with a single intention. Bottom line, I would not be one to stand in the way of legalizing jump cues in One Pocket but like you, I hope it doesn't happen.

Tom

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think we see where Red Card got his handle.

Drone bridge :D :D :D

He's always been in a very elite league of his own.. You have to watch those Monte Men. You could get an earful of cider...