Left/Right/Inside/Outside/Reverse/Running/Hold

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
what the hell does it all mean?:D

we got into this whole thing a few months ago over in the bank forum.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5205&page=2

Well, over at AZ.. I kept reading these posts that use terms like "top english" and "bottom english". When I read that, it makes me feel like I'm missing out on a piece of the puzzle. To me, english is left or right spin. Basically.

It can mean many things to many people and certainly there is no universal language, there are many ways to express what's going on, on the pool table. So my posts are not meant to say that my way of understanding is the right way, I"m just curious how others feel about it. Whether what I explain is the same as they use, or if they use something different. Additonally, some people may just be confused.. I hear a lot of weird terms when you're in a bar. There's always a "pro" at every table in a bar and it's pretty funny to hear some stuff that comes out of their mouth.:D

Here is the link over at AZ. For some reason, this risky biz guy over there has some sort of issue with me, and kept trying to tell me a diagram was wrong. Problem was.. he kept telling me my image was wrong, and he would explain what was correct, but he was driving me mad, because the image said the same thing he was saying.:confused::eek:

Anyways... if anyone wants to add anything else to this subject, I'm all ears. My comments are simply what I feel and I am not saying their correct, but I have had enough people tell me that they are, so I do feel I'm on the right track. I even got a compliment from dr. dave ( a scientific kind of pool guy) and he stuck my info on his website. That was a pretty strong endorsement, I thought.:)

Link to thread at AZ

Link to dr. dave's site (if you've never been there, you can watch some pretty cool videos in super duper slow mo) Just scroll way up to the top of the page I gave you and there is some links to Videos.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
You get a cookie for the pretty pictures but an F for my brain hemorrhage. :) That thread was a cluster f*!k! I read your description, sounds good to me. Top or Low is spin. Some may call it English since can alter the angle. Some choose not to and that's fine with me, whatever.

Rod

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What if...

What if...

usblues said:
takem Freddie....

...Depending on which way your head was pointing, if you were lying on the floor top english would be either right hand english or left hand english. Right?

And if you were nailed to the ceiling, again depending on which way your head was pointing, bottom english would be either right or left hand english. Correct?

Beard

(an exercise in utter futility, it'll probably run on AZ for another week or two)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well i didnt read the az thread:eek:
to me "top english " means follow and "bottom english" means draw
like you greg hitting along the vertical axis isnt"english" its follow or draw

inside english to me is if you are aiming at a ball and you hit the q to the inside of the of the vertical axis when aiming this is inside english

if when aiming at the object ball you hit "outside of vertical on the q thats "outside english
jmho icbw

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
dead action

dead action

Freddie's right Greg.A picture is 10,000 words and IF we had a table it would take 10 minutes to point out what you need to know about kill,reverse and holdup and conversely running,throw and natural english.This needs to be done in person for it to sink in as you'll lose it in the translation from thought to action.Speaking for myself here,others may hold different views.Get that table!And get to church!Adios,James

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
Do i get points for the pictures?:)

You do, they're well done. I had to experiment to figure out how much a tip of English is. Some pictures of that might be nice for the AZers. :) if you know.
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
How about this?.... They aint no easy answer to your ?s It takes a half of paragraph to explian one simple bankshot. Throw, hold, drag, twist, spin, stiff,
bend,..And that's only on a bankshot.And all of that could be with different english. haha.Good luck.John B.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
How about this?.... They aint no easy answer to your ?s It takes a half of paragraph to explian one simple bankshot. Throw, hold, drag, twist, spin, stiff,
bend,..And that's only on a bankshot.And all of that could be with different english. haha.Good luck.John B.

And I would SURE like to understand all those finer points of banking, cuz I LOVE banks!!! I"ve been dedicating 1/2 my time to banking and the other 1/2 to onepocket.

There is nothing more beautiful in pool then to watch a bank hit with a lot of english, at pocket speed and watching it hit that rail and take a completely different path then normal, and slowly roll in to the pocket. (hey, watching a bank take it's natural path ain't as exciting):)

at the same time

it's almost as beautiful, watching any bank played at rocket speed. That sharp crack of cueball hitting object ball, the thump of it hitting the rail and then the object ball smacking the back of the pocket. All in a few seconds.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm probably also guilty of adding the word "english" to top & bottom -- come to think of it, with my wobbly bridges, I'm often adding unintended left & right when I shoot, lol.

Steve <--- hoping the fact that it is often true lets him off the hook :D

RedCard

Verified Member
Chalk up first

Chalk up first

Running English can be used when the air barrel fails.