Learning how to win?

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Most of us on this forum understand the basics of one pocket...know the right shot to shoot for each of our differing skill levels...

But how did you learn to win with the skills you have...I truly believe that this is my next step in learning this truly wonderful game...

Besides the concentration drills recommended by Mr. Brumback...

Thoughts?

Maybe its like John said...I am just to smart to learn...lol

B

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Most of us on this forum understand the basics of one pocket...know the right shot to shoot for each of our differing skill levels...

But how did you learn to win with the skills you have...I truly believe that this is my next step in learning this truly wonderful game...

Thoughts?

B

Bill,

My thoughts on this question, I think are pretty straight forward and pretty simple. First, you must become a good judge of how others shooting talents stack up against yours.

At any given level of shooting talent, all else being equal, the better shooter will win out, over the long term. So, if you are the better shooter, you can afford to play a little looser, take some chances, and you'll probably overrun your opponent.

However, if you properly assess that you are up against an equally talented shooter as you, or even more talented shooter than you, the game is going to be decided, long term, on who makes the fewest mistakes, and on who moves better.

Positioning the cueball properly, trapping, offering up shots that carry more risk than reward, and having the patience to allow your opponent to make mistakes, will go a long way towards winning, if that is your goal.

You may find though, that as you get better at these skills, people that you used to play, suddenly don't want to play you so much, mostly because they become forced to play a "tight" game also, which may not be their cup of tea.

Unless you can continuously improve your shooting skills, "moving" better, through increased knowledge of the game, is the only avenue to winning against better shooters.

JMHO

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Thoughts?

B

Real simple billie, you have to believe in yourself and your game. The supporters are fair weathered and will come and go. In order to win when those negative thoughts creep in you only have your self belief to fall back on... I remember when I was playing real good back in about 2002 and Sparky Ferrell came to town.. we played an 8 ahead set of 9 ball for 2000.. we were playing on the first table at Hollywood billiards and all the rail birds were right above us and you can hear everything....well sparky wins the flip and breaks and runs the first 6 racks and all I'm hearing is all the rail birds saying Rob can't beat this guy etc..etc.. I blocked all that out and in the 7th game when he pushed out I jacked up and fired in the 1 ball and beat him 15 to 1...why? Because I believed in myself and my game

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Thoughts?

There's truth in that when overthinking any shot. KIS.

B

Mistakes are your teachers, and making the same ones are easily correctable, and exposed when you find a good instructor. Nothing comes easy in life and especially this game of all games. Expect nothing/hope for the best, and KIS when learning. Find a great instructor and from there, when change is needed expect just one item to take 2-3 months to integrate into your game if you play 3-4 times a week. Treat every shot, no matter how simple the same as a difficult one.
One of thee most difficult things to do in this game is to be ''nice to yourself''.

Good luck

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sometimes you are going to take one step forward and two steps back. I gamble with different players 2/3 times a week. I win some and I lose some. I enjoy the wins and let go of the losses. I might be pissed on the ride home after taking a beating, but it is gone tomorrow and am ready to get in action again.

When you let the losses eat at you, your confidence suffers and it is harder to book a winner and get it back.

Your game has come a long way since I met you 7/8 years ago in Gulfport. Keep on keeping on, you are gonna get there.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone else but the drive home after a loss is one long drive. When I get home, I hit the sack, go to sleep. The next day I'm driving back to get my money having forgotten what happened the previous night. Turn off the negative, accent the positive........8/7 on my break for life.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
When playing strangers, I play the table, the game and not the opponent.
This sounds like bragging, I have a very good record against players I didn't know.
In the 70's a knocker came over as I was getting ready to play and asked "do you know who that is?" I said do me a favor, go asked him if he knows who I am.

If you play your speed, you'll know soon if you have a chance or not. If you don't, you may get in a lot of trouble thinking, if I hadn't missed that easy shot, etc.

P.S. John and Bill are correct, if you're going to gamble you have to wake up in a new world everyday. When I was younger if I awakened thinking I need to get even from yesterday, I'd have been so much loser I'd have gone crazy.:)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
thanks

thanks

Some real pearls of wisdom in there...

On my way to Pensacola for a bank ring game...

bill? what happened to 9 7 and the break for life...

B

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Bille, I probably can't add much because I often find myself in the same boat :)

I feel like I know the game, know how to move, know most of the right shots but still lose. Sometimes it's because I may match up poorly thinking I am better than I am and not getting enough weight or giving up too much to a weaker player. So similar to what darmoose said about stacking up.

Also, I like what bill and hendy said about letting go of the losses. I tend to beat myself up too much when I lose instead of letting it drift away.

For not playing one pocket as long as most of us here Bille, I think you are doing pretty darn good. Heck, until I can beat you, I don't have much I can criticize!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Your losses are your teachers in life. I'm always amused when someone blames this or that happened when the one in the mirror is most often the problem. All winners were losers, more than you realize, they just keep getting 'back up.