Larry Hubbard/Iceman

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Just finished reading Seabiscuit, by Laura Hillenbrand. The rider Woolf who beat War Admiral, heads up by four lengths....was nicknamed the Iceman. Is this how Larry Got his name....should he be considered in our HOF discussions.

baby huey

Verified Member
Big Foot, Larry was a great player but in my mind not top tier certainly not in One Pocket. He could never beat players like Steve Cook, Bugs, Artie,Jersey Red.or many other top notch players. To your first question about his nickname, I'm not sure how he got that nickname.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Big Foot, Larry was a great player but in my mind not top tier certainly not in One Pocket. He could never beat players like Steve Cook, Bugs, Artie,Jersey Red.or many other top notch players. To your first question about his nickname, I'm not sure how he got that nickname.

I had no idea, tho I know he and Sigel traveled allot....and back then having all different games in ones arsenal was important.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah I saw him play a few times back in the 70's, and he was a very efficient shooter that rained high runs in straight pool in particular from what I saw. I never saw him play One Pocket. But truth told, I didn't see much One Pocket from anybody up here in New England at that time. I do know he doesn't come up much when players have told stories of his era so I would write him off as not particularly significant to the game of One Pocket in the scope of things.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Larry was a top 9ball player and an excellent straight pool player as well. He finished high in many 9ball tournaments playing against the best. He finished second to Sigel in the Last Call For Nine Ball in Atlantic City. All the best players played in that tournament and Larry played some great pool finishing second. No one had to beat him back then but he was more of a hustler than a tournament player. Larry and Sigel traveled the country together for years and did quite well. Sigel was a young 18 year old player when Larry got ahold of him and at the age of 18 Sigel was a monster.

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
Larry was a great bar table player as well.
He beat Buddy in OK when everyone thought Buddy was unbeatable.
I believe he beat Matlock as well.
He was a clever mover in the pool room as well.
I once asked him to play at the Billiard Den in LA after I had beaten everyone in town.
This was before Sigel. Larry said no. Perhaps I was lucky.
He was a great player.
Larry and Mike helped Danny and I succeed in the cue business.
They both had Joss cues and wherever the went people would call to order cues.

I always thought he had the nickname because he was so Cool under pressure.

Bill Stroud