Just For Fun: Scratches, Errors Of Commission Or Omission?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
When a player starts playing One-Pocket one of the things he'll see is some of the most fantastic and unbelievable pocket scratches. 9-Ball players who are used to turning the cueball loose are most susceptible to this. When they stop putting the cueball in a pocket is when they realize their game is going up. This is a little noticed but extremely large indicator of a player's talent.

Here are five pocket scratches by a few different players. Some are playing a simple safety and a couple are shooting at their pocket.

How would you figure they put the cueball in a pocket?

#1 Alex needs one from here playing Efren:

apvser.jpg

#2 Cliff is playing a simple safety vs. Kim Bennett:

cbd1.jpg

#3 JR Gay answering Daultons break:

jrvssd.jpg

#4 Richie R. playing safe vs. Efren:

rrvser.jpg

#5 Frost shooting at his pocket vs. Schmidt (SJD's fave:p):

sfvsjs.jpg

SJDinPHX

Suspended
When a player starts playing One-Pocket one of the things he'll see is some of the most fantastic and unbelievable pocket scratches. 9-Ball players who are used to turning the cueball loose are most susceptible to this. When they stop putting the cueball in a pocket is when they realize their game is going up. This is a little noticed but extremely large indicator of a player's talent.

Here are five pocket scratches by a few different players. Some are playing a simple safety and a couple are shooting at their pocket.

How would you figure they put the cueball in a pocket?

#1 Alex needs one from here playing Efren:

View attachment 7666

#2 Cliff is playing a simple safety vs. Kim Bennett:

View attachment 7667

#3 JR Gay answering Daultons break:

View attachment 7668

#4 Richie R. playing safe vs. Efren:

View attachment 7669

#5 Frost shooting at his pocket vs. Schmidt (SJD's fave:p):

View attachment 7670

Finally, something worth commenting on..As soon as you number ALL the balls..I will tell you exactly what happened..Why can't you ever remember ?.......... sheesch !..:frus

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
THIS IS AN EDIT
RODS PIC OF THIS SHOT IS MORE ACCURATE
the cut is too thin i realize now for my shot

my best guesses
dd1.jpg

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
A couple of good guesses. Here's how they went down:

Alex just stretched out and scratched:

apvser2.jpg

Cliff double-kissed the object ball:

cjdk.jpg

JR cut the ball in and scratched:

jrvssd2.jpg

RR tried to spin around a piece of the 8 ball. He double-kissed:

rrvser3.jpg

Frost got a bad roll on a fluke scratch (according to the Duck:p):

sfvsjs2.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'd say JR's shot was a pretty bad roll.

Balls go where you shoot 'em. Here's JR's response to SD's break in game 3. This is from the 2001 D.C.C., JR was still thinking like a 14.1 player, he had yet to come to the one-pocket thought process, although, he would probably shoot from here everytime anyway, he plays too good not to:eek:.

Do you think he learned anything?:)

jrvssd.jpg

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Good thread C.D. I've scratched in a similar fashion as a couple here. I'm sure that if I continue to play more, I'll find the other ways to scratch...:eek: Though my overall game is on the improve (though substantially below the folks you show in this thread), it always amazes me with the many options to scratch that onepocket affords a player when one gets too confident, too cute, or even just "creative"...:frus

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Good thread C.D. I've scratched in a similar fashion as a couple here. I'm sure that if I continue to play more, I'll find the other ways to scratch...:eek: Though my overall game is on the improve (though substantially below the folks you show in this thread), it always amazes me with the many options to scratch that onepocket affords a player when one gets too confident, too cute, or even just "creative"...:frus

JL,

Glad you like it, I think it's interesting too. Here's Jr's shot from the above layout. Commentator said "at least there's no way for him to scratch this time". I guess he never played pinball:p. Jr. got away with it and ran 5 more:eek:.

Jr's shot1.jpg

Jr's shot2.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Remember it all too well. But I was way up in the air and now that i see the layout close up, it's not as brutal as I thought from my vantage point.

Freddie

In another thread, Ducky called that scratch by Frost a "fluke scratch". I guess it was because he had money riding on the match. I've been telling that idiot for years "Ducky, don't bet on poolplayers you f@@king moron", but he doesn't listen.

RBL