Just drove in from Tunica

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I would just like to echo Doc's commentary here.

There were very loud, very filthily, rap lyrics constantly coming from the streaming booth. They were totally out of place.

Nothing wrong with house, hip hop, R&B, classic Motown, or other genres. I think most guys, having been in pool rooms with wide open juke boxes could fade it, but it was non-stop and really loud, and IMO, pulled things into the gutter.

Lou Figueroa

Sounds like Hell! You couldn't pay me a $1k to get me to hang out in a pool room (and I use that phrase loosely) blue with smoke and rap music played at ear splitting volume for more than a half hour before I'd want give the cash back or resort to slitting my own throat to escape the trap.

Tom

backplaying

Verified Member
Sounds like Hell! You couldn't pay me a $1k to get me to hang out in a pool room (and I use that phrase loosely) blue with smoke and rap music played at ear splitting volume for more than a half hour before I'd want give the cash back or resort to slitting my own throat to escape the trap.

Tom

Yep, I was playing Cliff on one stream table and little d was playing McKee on the other. Ray would mix it up with classic rock that I preferred and rap that lil-d preferred, but when Ray left it was the same three or four hard core rap non- stop. I guess ray showed him how, or he figured it out on his own. I guess I will end up like the people who refuse to play in smoking rooms, except I will end up quitting because of the ear busting hard core rap! The last time I played little d, I had to put up with all rap and many times when a certain rap song came on, he would go over to one of his bros and they would rap the whole song, while I had to wait for him to shoot, at 200 a game and loser. Fade that!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yep, I was playing Cliff on one stream table and little d was playing McKee on the other. Ray would mix it up with classic rock that I preferred and rap that lil-d preferred, but when Ray left it was the same three or four hard core rap non- stop. I guess ray showed him how, or he figured it out on his own. I guess I will end up like the people who refuse to play in smoking rooms, except I will end up quitting because of the ear busting hard core rap! The last time I played little d, I had to put up with all rap and many times when a certain rap song came on, he would go over to one of his bros and they would rap the whole song, while I had to wait for him to shoot, at 200 a game and loser. Fade that!

I feel for ya brother. There is no way I would attempt to play under those conditions. I have tried to play with loud music pumping through the room. Music that I might even enjoy had it not been for the loudness and the fact that I was trying to concentrate on my pool game. Blue, second hand smoke was seeping through the pores of my skin and with each breath I took it was like sucking feathers through a straw. All I succeeded in doing was lose my cash, manufacture an inevitable massive headache that only a lobotomy could cure, and develop an insatiable desire to spend a two week vacation in the nearest iron lung.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped playing pool for several years. All the good pool rooms were smoking establishments and now with a mild case of COPD the only way you could catch me in a smoking room is dead.

On the other hand, have you tried using the wax ear plugs that swimmers use? They do cut down on the volume quite a bit. But then you can't hear that guy starring at you with his mouth moving like the wings of a hummingbird as he tries to tell you there is some asshole standing behind you with a club and a look in his eye like Ted Bundy.

Good luck,

Tom

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I feel for ya brother. There is no way I would attempt to play under those conditions. I have tried to play with loud music pumping through the room. Music that I might even enjoy had it not been for the loudness and the fact that I was trying to concentrate on my pool game. Blue second hand smoke was seeping through the pores of my skin and with each breath I took it was like sucking feathers through a straw. All I succeeded in doing was lose my cash, manufacture a inevitable massive headache that only a lobotomy could cure, and develop an insatiable desire to spend a two week vacation in the nearest iron lung.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped playing pool for several years. All the good pool rooms were smoking establishments and now with a mild case of COPD the only way you could catch me in a smoking room is dead.

On the other hand, have you tried using the wax ear plugs that swimmers use? They do cut down on the volume quite a bit. But then you can't hear that guy starring at you with his mouth moving like the wings of a hummingbird as he tries to tell you there is some asshole standing behind you with a club and a look in his eye like Ted Bundy.

Good luck,

Tom

Lets ALL hope there's NO loud music or smoking at the US Open One Pocket, so OUR horse can play the speed I know he can!

"Good Shooting and Good Pool"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yeah Bill, I will be able to handle the loud music if need be because I have a set of those ear plugs but if they're smoking during the tournament I will be in trouble. Most of these events are non-smoking now so I don't think I have anything to worry about on that score either.

Thanks.

Tom

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Yeah Bill, I will be able to handle the loud music if need be because I have a set of those ear plugs but if they're smoking during the tournament I will be in trouble. Most of these events are non-smoking now so I don't think I have anything to worry about on that score either.

Thanks.

Tom

Don't worry Tom, I'll be near by with a fire extinguisher just in case some one decides to light up.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Thanks.

Tom
The US Open One Pocket is about the most tightly run tournament around -- they have a dress code and yes, they enforce the dress code Tom, so be prepared -- lol, I better bring you some extra shirts! Definitely no worries about loud music or smoking.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I feel for ya brother. There is no way I would attempt to play under those conditions. I have tried to play with loud music pumping through the room. Music that I might even enjoy had it not been for the loudness and the fact that I was trying to concentrate on my pool game. Blue second hand smoke was seeping through the pores of my skin and with each breath I took it was like sucking feathers through a straw. All I succeeded in doing was lose my cash, manufacture a inevitable massive headache that only a lobotomy could cure, and develop an insatiable desire to spend a two week vacation in the nearest iron lung.

On the other hand, have you tried using the wax ear plugs that swimmers use? They do cut down on the volume quite a bit. But then you can't hear that guy starring at you with his mouth moving like the wings of a hummingbird as he tries to tell you there is some asshole standing behind you with a club and a look in his eye like Ted Bundy.Good luck,Tom

Ha! Funny post, Tom!:D The man who owned Southern Billiards in Starkville, Miss. (R.H. Gilmer) had the perfect gauge for judging music volume. He said if people can converse in normal tones, and be easily heard over the volume of music, then it's set just right.

My personal preference would be to have no music at all. Most of us over age 55 or 60 grew up in poolrooms where the only sound was the clicking of the balls; someone occasionally shouting "s**t!" when they missed; the pay phone on the wall ringing for the local bookie; the errant squeak when someone stood on that bad spot on the wood floor; and the distant low sound of the baseball game on the radio at the desk.

Of course that's when people went to the poolroom to play pool. Now there's not much difference between going to the "family billiard center" as there is going to a disco or to a biker bar...:rolleyes:

Even up at the SCT, there was very little ambient sound in the tournament room. Guys competed all day, and one could almost hear the concentration. Then, long about mid-afternoon, it occurred to some bright guy that, "Hey, there's no MUSIC on!" At that point they'd fire up the speakers over the Accustats arena, and we'd have to have music. To be honest, it wasn't that loud; but it was annoying until one became used to it. It could definitely just be my imagination, but it seemed to me that the level of pool went down a notch when the music was supplied...;)

The Color of Money was arguably responsible for a resurgence in interest in pool, but --with Cruise's antics around the table-- it also ushered in the age of the insufferably obnoxious party pool player.

Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
That's great Steve. I like the dress code idea. Who wants to see some pool player's ass hanging out of his store torn jeans.

If you want to play the part of a professional, start by looking the part of a professional.

Tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That's great Steve. I like the dress code idea. Who wants to see some pool player's ass hanging out of his store torn jeans.

If you want to play the part of a professional, start by looking the part of a professional.

Tom

Tom; World class 3 Cushion players along with Snooker players have been doing, just that for past 35 years!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Ha! Funny post, Tom!:D The man who owned Southern Billiards in Starkville, Miss. (R.H. Gilmer) had the perfect gauge for judging music volume. He said if people can converse in normal tones, and be easily heard over the volume of music, then it's set just right.

My personal preference would be to have no music at all. Most of us over age 55 or 60 grew up in poolrooms where the only sound was the clicking of the balls; someone occasionally shouting "s**t!" when they missed; the pay phone on the wall ringing for the local bookie; the errant squeak when someone stood on that bad spot on the wood floor; and the distant low sound of the baseball game on the radio at the desk.

Of course that's when people went to the poolroom to play pool. Now there's not much difference between going to the "family billiard center" as there is going to a disco or to a biker bar...:rolleyes:

Even up at the SCT, there was very little ambient sound in the tournament room. Guys competed all day, and one could almost hear the concentration. Then, long about mid-afternoon, it occurred to some bright guy that, "Hey, there's no MUSIC on!" At that point they'd fire up the speakers over the Accustats arena, and we'd have to have music. To be honest, it wasn't that loud; but it was annoying until one became used to it. It could definitely just be my imagination, but it seemed to me that the level of pool went down a notch when the music was supplied...;)

The Color of Money was arguably responsible for a resurgence in interest in pool, but --with Cruise's antics around the table-- it also ushered in the age of the insufferably obnoxious party pool player.

Doc

Wow Doc, Do you ever bring back memories. It is like you were in the same pool rooms I grew up in during the '60s and '70s. I loved the click of the balls. Now there's music for you. Tell the truth everyone, is there anything in the world that makes the same sound that your hear from the collision of pool balls? I say no.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Right you are Ghosty

With all the crap we have to listen to these days a guy can't hear his own thoughts. TVs all over the room, Juke boxes, Basketball hoops, bars, Karaoke, and dance floors. All they are missing is the high wire and lion tamer acts to make the atmosphere complete. Talk about A.D.D.

Tom