joyner /cooney game 4

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Ducky I've never shot it like this, but it seems to be a very good shot.
I'll try to remember it next time I decide to play safe.;)
Rod.
PS hope the diagram is correct.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4EADY4IAMH4NADq1PKge4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS1kKge4kADM3kbhX4kLIj@[/CUETABLE]

It is not real close Rod, but thanks for trying. The cue ball (before shooting) will be a little closer to the center, and it will come off and hit the RH side rail just above Cliff's pocket (which is on the right)..and have the Q wind up frozen on the bottom rail, about 6" from his pocket (ideally)...Remember, I am also trying, to shoot just hard enough to make the balls "recluster" near the spot.

PS..Just registered for Poolbz...I'm going to learn it, if it takes me 50 yrs....oh, wait....

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this is another way to play it
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4EADY4IAMH4NADq2PFih4YADY4YMsl4YOXn4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS2kFqj2kFae2kFae2kFah3kCHN3kNEQ3kNtc@4EADY4IAMH4NADq2PFih4YADY4YMsl4YOXn4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS2kFqj2kFae2kFae2kFah3kCHN3kNEQ3kNtc@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
heres the 2 ways with 2 balls on the spot and commentary from our own site
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AALc3BALs2PHNX3UALc4UOXe3VALs4VBlk1VOJd2kHNX3kBBN3kIfk3kJMU4qXheYour_pocket_is_here&ZZ3uCMH@[/CUETABLE]
When you need only one, and both balls are on the spot with ball in hand, the more conservative standard safety is just to roll into the head ball with a fairly full hit to leave the cue ball near the foot rail and move both balls to your side

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
another 2 ball safety with commentary
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AALc3BALs1PJiV3UALc4ULub3VALs4VBlk1VOJd1kJiV3kBBL3kbit7kOCizc4qXxeYour_pocket_is_here&ZZ3rcGsThe_right_english_helps_kill_the_cue_ball_near_or_frozen_to_the_bottom_rail.&ZZ2uBWJ@[/CUETABLE]
Another conservative way to play safe off two balls on the spot. Cutting the head ball to the left helps push the two balls towards your side, andwith practice it is pretty easy to consistently leave the cue ball close to foot rail.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
so for 3 on the spot would you approach the safety the same???

freddys option a good one imho most would not do with 2 balls i dont think
but before we go on to what cooney shot how he left cliff and what do you do next
please comment on the variuos safety options here
by the way if you were really behind and looking for flyers can the ball on the spot still be made with draw?? or are there too many balls behind it to move it foward enough

Skin

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
It is not real close Rod, but thanks for trying. The cue ball (before shooting) will be a little closer to the center, and it will come off and hit the RH side rail just above Cliff's pocket (which is on the right)..and have the Q wind up frozen on the bottom rail, about 6" from his pocket (ideally)...Remember, I am also trying, to shoot just hard enough to make the balls "recluster" near the spot.

PS..Just registered for Poolbz...I'm going to learn it, if it takes me 50 yrs....oh, wait....

OK, so I set this up exactly as Dick described, shot it, and...SCRATCHED. :eek: Another !@#$%^& hard-as-hell San Jose Dick shot!

Just kidding. :D

That's a smart shot in that situation, Dick. I'll remember it. My first instinct was to just go perfectly flush into the head ball, freeze on the head ball. and bring the back ball back to where it started off the foot rail. But if the balls on the spot are off even a smidgen from straight in a line, you can wind up sorry. Learned that lesson the hard way...:rolleyes:

Skin

u12armresl

Verified Member
What does knocking the 9 in the side have to do with breaking, making a ball and then running 7. In that scenario the 9 or 14 don't come into play cause you are already at 8.

androd said:
Cliff knocked the 9 ball in the side, so when he followed the game ball in Jacks pocket 3 balls came to the spot. ;)
Rod.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
u12armresl said:
What does knocking the 9 in the side have to do with breaking, making a ball and then running 7. In that scenario the 9 or 14 don't come into play cause you are already at 8.

joyner ran 6

9 comes out, 14 comes out, joyner owes a ball

cooney needs one, joyner needs em all

right?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
u12armresl said:

I thought you understood, when they said running 7 balls that it included the one made on the break. Big time tournaments are played even. I was trying to explain 3 balls on the spot. That is what I thought you didn't understand. :)
Rod.
PS, I didn't post it but it's kind of infered that they need 8 balls.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
u12armresl said:
Cooney made the 15 on the break. He then made the 7, 10, 6, 2, 4, 13 and jawed up the 14 from here to set the scenario for this thread.

CapturedPicture_4.Jpeg

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
OK, so I set this up exactly as Dick described, shot it, and...SCRATCHED. :eek: Another !@#$%^& hard-as-hell San Jose Dick shot!

Just kidding. :D

That's a smart shot in that situation, Dick. I'll remember it. My first instinct was to just go perfectly flush into the head ball, freeze on the head ball. and bring the back ball back to where it started off the foot rail. But if the balls on the spot are off even a smidgen from straight in a line, you can wind up sorry. Learned that lesson the hard way...:rolleyes:

Skin

Skin baby,

If you set it up exactly as I tried to explain, (cue ball 6-8" left of center), you could NOT scratch unless you hit the head ball horribly thin. You are trying to hit the head ball, gently, a little to the right,of a full hit...This will allow the cue ball, to drift over to the side rail, near the first diamond, and drop to the bottom rail near Cliff's hole. It will also (with the right speed)recluster all 3 balls, next to the spot... It can be shot the other way, with almost full ball hit, shooting from right of the center line, and hoping to float straight to the bottom rail. But, it is harder to judge the speed that way, and you will not wind up tying the balls up near the spot. I wish I could demonstrate the shot for you... Not having seen this video, I would be very surprised, if that is not what Jack shot...:cool:

Rodney...One more diagram.....Please...I am trying to learn the latest version of WEI, or whatever it is called these days...:p

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
the shot i use and as long as you dont hit it horribly bad, works great for me.

i shoot from the line near the rail on his side towards my hole. and hit the bottom ball very thin and drive it to the long rail above my pocket. it then comes across and down on the lower rail and is covered from view by the two top balls, leaving him up table with the cue ball.

it is hard to mess this shot up.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
heres how joyner ran the balls after cooney jawed the 14
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3ACAG4CGqL2EOlw3HFBR1IVOA3KDun3LBdJ4NYvd3PTdW3Qcxs@3ACAG4BGLL4CGqL4DLiL2EOlw4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IVOA4JRFL3KDun3LBdJ4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM3PTdW3Qcxs2YOlw2YRtm3YcIt1dVOA1denB3kTdW2kOUh1kStB4kTjO@3ACAG4BGLL4CGqL4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IenB4JRFL3KDun3LBdJ4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PTjO3Qcxs3fDun3fdOp4kTjO3kByc4kGft@3ACAG4BGLL4CGqL4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LBdJ4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PGft3Qcxs3UCAG3UdWn4kGft4kADv4kNrd@3AdWn4BGLL4CGqL4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LBdJ4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PNrd3Qcxs4WGqL3WcQs4kNrd4kJLB4kNMj4kSAk@3AdWn4BGLL3CcQs4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LBdJ4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PSAk3Qcxs3gBdJ3gdWq4kSAk4kBMG4kDYj4kbgt4kIYh@3AdWn4BGLL3CcQs4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HFBR1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LdWq4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PIYh3Qcxs3cFBR3cdOo4kIYh3kDmH4kMUx@3AdWn4BGLL3CcQs4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HdOo1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LdWq4MTiL4NYvd4OWTM4PMUx3Qcxs4iYvd4ichp4kMUx4kXYT4kdgC@3AdWn4BGLL3CcQs4DLiL3EcIt4FOTL4GIoK3HdOo1IenB4JRFL3KdOp3LdWq4MTiL4Nchp4OWTM4PdgC3Qcxs@[/CUETABLE]
dennis posted this 2 years ago:eek: :D
thanks dennis for reminding me and letting me use it:)
p.s.
if you want to read what the cognescenti said back then here is denniss thread
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2765&highlight=cooney+vs.+joyner+wop+1998

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A good measure of intelligence...

A good measure of intelligence...

beatle said:
the shot i use and as long as you dont hit it horribly bad, works great for me.

i shoot from the line near the rail on his side towards my hole. and hit the bottom ball very thin and drive it to the long rail above my pocket. it then comes across and down on the lower rail and is covered from view by the two top balls, leaving him up table with the cue ball.

it is hard to mess this shot up.

...is how much someone agrees with me. That would make you a very smart man. See my post #13.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
Just clip the bottom ball thin and run the cue ball back up the table. Leave the other 2 balls together on the spot. You do not want to put all three balls in play since you only need one. Whatever shot your oppo chooses, you should be able to take one or two balls out of play afterwards.

Beard
beatle i think this the shot freddy said he would shoot. yes??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Skin baby,

If you set it up exactly as I tried to explain, (cue ball 6-8" left of center), you could NOT scratch unless you hit the head ball horribly thin. You are trying to hit the head ball, gently, a little to the right,of a full hit...This will allow the cue ball, to drift over to the side rail, near the first diamond, and drop to the bottom rail near Cliff's hole. It will also (with the right speed)recluster all 3 balls, next to the spot... It can be shot the other way, with almost full ball hit, shooting from right of the center line, and hoping to float straight to the bottom rail. But, it is harder to judge the speed that way, and you will not wind up tying the balls up near the spot. I wish I could demonstrate the shot for you... Not having seen this video, I would be very surprised, if that is not what Jack shot...:cool:

Rodney...One more diagram.....Please...I am trying to learn the latest version of WEI, or whatever it is called these days...:p
dick is this closer to your shot???
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3EALa4IAMH4NADq1PDea3YALa4YDFW4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS1kDea3kAkI3kbBe3kREj3kQfh@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
heres the other way
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4EATa4IAMH4NADq2PDuc4YATa4YELX4YEsV4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS2kDuc3kBiJ3kBiN3kMfa@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this i think is freddys shot also suggested by beatle
correct this if its not accurate
maybe q ball closer to side rail??
you are clipping the 9 not scraping the stack
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4EADY4IAUI4NADq2PLue4dAUI4dbIx4dSBQ2kLue2kLVc3kChF3kHYj2kajN2karK@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
dick is this closer to your shot???
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3EALa4IAMH4NADq1PDea3YALa4YDFW4dAMH4dAOk4dBSS1kDea3kAkI3kbBe3kREj3kQfh@[/CUETABLE]

Almost exactly (cue ball a little more left of center) Thanks lll. I like my chances of freezing the cue ball better and leaving my oppo NO shot, than any other shot selection discussed so far.