Johnny "Irish" Lineen

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
One of the threads had some people talking about Irish and I thought you might like to see a pic sorry I am not savvy with software Not a lot of pictures of this guy around unfortuneately.
If I am not mistaken I remember a news article or something that he worked at a billiard parlor and every day he came in early enough to try to run 200 balls at straight pool before work, many people attested to the fact that he was usually sucessful. Pretty amazing if true.

001.jpg

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Does anyone have any idea how he felt about One Pocket in particular? One thing I feel strongly about our HOF is our focus on players that truly embraced the game. There are great players like Mosconi, Sigel, Rempe that certainly played some great 1P — probably better than many of our HOF inductees lol, but 1P was never “their game”. To me that is really important. I know we are reaching back in time, but does anyone have knowledge of how much One Pocket he played and how he spoke about the game?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Sorry ,no other info .
I know I have had this picture for around 25 years or so.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I wish Ervolino was still alive. You could ask him about Irish.. He taught Ervolino how to play one pocket.. Maybe somebody that hung around Ervolino would know, like Rob The One Pocket Hacker who learned a lot from him.. Back then times were different. He played everything. Only Greenleaf could beat him at one time in straight pool. He played Evans who could give him a good game.. They played 75 or no count. He played 3 cushion. One time he got an invite to play Harold Worst some at his house. They said 5 games were played and Worst got three shots the whole session. Nobody could beat him at rotation games either. Only a couple of other freaks could hang like George Rood or Don Willis. He slept in the pool room a lot and was just awakened if a stranger needed to be beaten. Quiet and business like. Beat the guy, get a pack of potato chips, get a ride to the track. I don't know anything first hand. He died while I was still in Jr. High. Just heard and read things...This could all be lies, (but I don't think so)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I wish Ervolino was still alive. You could ask him about Irish.. He taught Ervolino how to play one pocket.. Maybe somebody that hung around Ervolino would know, like Rob The One Pocket Hacker who learned a lot from him.. Back then times were different. He played everything. Only Greenleaf could beat him at one time in straight pool. He played Evans who could give him a good game.. They played 75 or no count. He played 3 cushion. One time he got an invite to play Harold Worst some at his house. They said 5 games were played and Worst got three shots the whole session. Nobody could beat him at rotation games either. Only a couple of other freaks could hang like George Rood or Don Willis. He slept in the pool room a lot and was just awakened if a stranger needed to be beaten. Quiet and business like. Beat the guy, get a pack of potato chips, get a ride to the track. I don't know anything first hand. He died while I was still in Jr. High. Just heard and read things...This could all be lies, (but I don't think so)
Sounds the same as what I heard as far as his game and the source was George rood

Reactions: lll

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Thanks for the pic billy
Your welcome.... I was going to ask if anyone here had a player they wanted to see a pic of , that no one else has shown.
I like to think I have one of the best collections of player pictures around.
Everybody from Mingaud to about 2010, after that, I just had too many other things to deal with.
I have seen Mary Kinnistons and Mike Haines and Bill Porters collections , all great , but I have some they don't.
Also Red Card I believe, if he is who I think he is , has an awesome collection

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Your welcome.... I was going to ask if anyone here had a player they wanted to see a pic of , that no one else has shown.
Everybody from Mingaud to about 2010, after that, I just had too many other things to deal with.
I have seen Mary Kinnistons and Mike Haines and Bill Porters collections , all great , but I have some they don't.
any pictures of earl heisler from the sports palace in new orleans

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the offer, Billy. If you have any pictures of Hayden Lingo or Johnny Vives, I'd love to see them.

~Doc

RedCard

Verified Member
Thanks for the offer, Billy. If you have any pictures of Hayden Lingo or Johnny Vives, I'd love to see them.

~Doc
JohnstonCity1961.png
This is from the same group photo as the one I posted above of ole Irish Linen. Johnny Vives is 5th from the left, next to Danny Jones. They are from left: Eddie Taylor, Earl Schriver, Marshall Carpenter, Danny Jones, Johnny Vives, Jimmy Moore and Larry Johnson.

Edit ~~ (The guy in the back is either Sonny Springer or Cokes bodyguard's bodyguard).

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
View attachment 429800
This is from the same group photo as the one I posted above of ole Irish Linen. Johnny Vives is 5th from the left, next to Danny Jones. They are from left: Eddie Taylor, Earl Schriver, Marshall Carpenter, Danny Jones, Johnny Vives, Jimmy Moore and Larry Johnson.

Edit ~~ (The guy in the back is either Sonny Springer or Cokes bodyguard's bodyguard).
Looks like Sonny Springer's ears...:)

baby huey

Verified Member
Danny Diliberto may be the only one left to shed light on "Irish." Billy Incardona might also have some insights but he may be too young for personal experiences.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Danny Diliberto may be the only one left to shed light on "Irish." Billy Incardona might also have some insights but he may be too young for personal experiences.

I remember Kilroy telling me stories all the time about Irish and Camp.

To put it in perspective, it would be like all of us years from now talking about Bustamante and Reyes.

That’s how I can relate to it now.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Iwish I had he answers but unfortunately ,I don't Danny D would be a good place to check I think

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's a good question about Lineen. Unless we find out that he played lots of one hole, I'll be promoting Johnny Vevis, the first Johnston City 1P winner; and also M. Camp.