John vs. Rich 2 - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
🧐 Don't nobody want to shoot the 11-5 combination with natural shape on the 3 and run on out? o_O....rack em' :)

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I love the 11/14 carom but it appears the 5 is frozen to the 14 yes? If it is, when you hit the 14, the 5 is going to go his way and may cause trouble if you dont make the carom. If it's not froze to the 14 or wont have much action after the shot, I think this is the best choice with natural shape.

On your 9 ball shot, you may even be able to bank it short into the stack and send the CB to his long rail and nestle to the 3 as you suggested.

Good shots in any case...
It looks to me as if there is a good inch of air or so between the 5 and 14. If it were frozen, I wouldn't have chosen this shot as it's so easy to scratch off the 5.

It would be great if Ghost could chime in and clear this up.

Island Drive

Verified Member
It looks to me as if there is a good inch of air or so between the 5 and 14. If it were frozen, I wouldn't have chosen this shot as it's so easy to scratch off the 5.

It would be great if Ghost could chime in and clear this up.
Also would of been helpful, to have an overhead shot of that stack.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Ghost doesn't see the point investing in a selfie-stick for boo(m) shots..

wincardona

Verified Member
John's shot --- his pocket is at the top right --- the score is 2-2, both going to 8, John giving Rich 10-8 --- John's got a lotta good choices here --- wwyd? >>>

View attachment 431702View attachment 431703
If the 11-14 carom is on, then for sure, that would be my shot, but it looks to be laying a little low so I'm staying away from it. I don't like the 11-5 combination, especially if I'm the best player. If I'm the worst player, I may give it a go. The 15-5 combination is very appealing. If I were to choose that shot, I would draw the cue ball back to the headrail. Bringing the cue ball back ensures nothing stupid will happen and forces your opponent to play defense in the event the 5ball is not pocketed. I also like playing off the 11ball, leaving whitey on the 14-1ball from there you figure to get the first good move and your controlling the game plus the 11ball figures to create positive action in some way.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Sorry boyz - I slept taking a pic of the left side of the stack 🥴

P.S. Chris & Terry...no, the 5 and 14 are not frozen...and the 11-14 carom is makeable, but it is not lined up dead into the pocket off of the 5 or the 1.

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
As a few have already said, play the 15-13 combo with the goal of putting both balls by my holland leaving him long and as straight as possible on the 8 ball.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
If the 11-14 carom is on, then for sure, that would be my shot, but it looks to be laying a little low so I'm staying away from it. I don't like the 11-5 combination, especially if I'm the best player. If I'm the worst player, I may give it a go. The 15-5 combination is very appealing. If I were to choose that shot, I would draw the cue ball back to the headrail. Bringing the cue ball back ensures nothing stupid will happen and forces your opponent to play defense in the event the 5ball is not pocketed. I also like playing off the 11ball, leaving whitey on the 14-1ball from there you figure to get the first good move and your controlling the game plus the 11ball figures to create positive action in some way.

Dr. Bill
You may be right Dr. Bill. If I have to play the 11 fairly thin for the correct carom on the 14, I may lose the CB here.

ppanzera

This looks simple enough to me.

I'm doubling up the 15/13, leave him on the gum.

View attachment 431706
I like this... OR (I can't tell the angle) if I could bank the 9 (just right of center hit) into the 1 (pushing one or more towards my hole), and float/stun whitey down to his hole, I would consider that. There should be no kiss (9 passes first).

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I know this is wwyd, but I am probably 0 for 12 on these wwyd as far as what the shooter shot. I am picking on the 1 ball in this thread, it might cut, or can be kissed off the 14. But damn, in going over all these threads I am the only one that is shooting into the 1. Wow, I must have a 1 pocket screw loose.
Whitey

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I know this is wwyd, but I am probably 0 for 12 on these wwyd as far as what the shooter shot. I am picking on the 1 ball in this thread, it might cut, or can be kissed off the 14. But damn, in going over all these threads I am the only one that is shooting into the 1. Wow, I must have a 1 pocket screw loose.
Whitey
I think the 7 is in the way even if you carom the 1 off the 14. And what happens to the cue ball Whitey after it caroms off the 11 ?

lll

Verified Member
the 4 was the first thing that jumped out but I think I may just cut the 15 down the rail into the 13 with some low RHE, not hitting it too hard to try to leave him almost straight in on the 4. He cant shoot the 9 due to side pocket so the 4 is all i have to worry about and I may make the combo or get it close. I also like being close to my work..
I am in this camp
Bring the cue ball froze to the head cushion

lll

Verified Member
I'm playing the combo, trying to pocket the 13 a with a 9:30 o'clock cue ball. Put whitey between the 4/9 and park it on the other long rail, two diamonds from the bottom rail. I'll aim at the 15, to hit the long rail just past the side pocket hitting rail first.
Nice aggressive shot
And rod likes it too (y)
My concern is hard to tell if something is bankable and if you miss he is closer to his work for his reply

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'd take a good look at banking the 9ball (about 3/4 right hit) into the pile, and drifting the CB down parallel with the 4ball. Depending upon how they lay, an alternative would be to bank the 9 into the 4. That would empty his side, and put them all on yours.

Last edited:

Nick B

Verified Member
I'm playing the combo, trying to pocket the 13 a with a 9:30 o'clock cue ball. Put whitey between the 4/9 and park it on the other long rail, two diamonds from the bottom rail. I'll aim at the 15, to hit the long rail just past the side pocket hitting rail first.
Correctamundo!

1595698232305.png

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, John chose the shot-option that Chris first picked, and that several other people (including myself) also liked here = the 15-13 combination....John hit it pretty well, and he played a perfect cueball, leaving it froze on the rail as Chris & Larry also wanted to do.....here's how it ended up ----->

010.JPG

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Well, John chose the shot-option that Chris first picked, and that several other people (including myself) also liked here = the 15-13 combination....John hit it pretty well, and he played a perfect cueball, leaving it froze on the rail as Chris & Larry also wanted to do.....here's how it ended up ----->

View attachment 431730
He hit that one pretty good! Probably have to make the 13 now and go into the stack. The cool kids (not me) hit the 15 and roll down behind the 13.