John vs. Barry 9 - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Barry's shot --- his pocket is at the top right --- the score is Barry ahead 2-0 , both going to 8 --- even though Barry's behind the stack, he's got a lotta good choices here due to the 5-7 tying up John's pocket --- wwyd? >>>

X16.JPGX77.JPGX88.JPGX15.JPG

wincardona

Verified Member
I like playing the carom off the 9ball pocketing the 13ball. The 9ball will take out the 10ball to your side of the table, and the 9ball should leave the area as well. The shot offers natural position on the 6ball, and you are taking away three balls that go in your opponent's pocket at the same time.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
I like playing the carom off the 9ball pocketing the 13ball. The 9ball will take out the 10ball to your side of the table, and the 9ball should leave the area as well. The shot offers natural position on the 6ball, and you are taking away three balls that go in your opponent's pocket at the same time.

Dr. Bill
I like this shot because you can win the game with it and the downside IMO is well worth the gamble.

Dr. Bill

mr3cushion

Verified Member
This shot doesn't carry the offense that the carom has but it's defense and trapping potential is much stronger. Be careful not to open the tied up balls but if so the shot is still very viable.

Dr. Bill
Billy, from the photo, looks like the 13 ball is a little too far ahead of the 9 to carom the 13 to the hole. JMHO. ICBW.

sappo

Verified Member
I like banking the 15 ball 1 rail and spinning the cue ball up to the top corner area by the 14 ball. K

catkins

Verified Member
if you can play the carom with center left and don't have to draw the ball I really like that otherwise I am going to bank the 15 and go up table

catkins

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
I look at this shot and see how obvious it is I was thinking of playing off the carom to spin over to the 5 ball but playing the 9 into the 10 is so much more effective

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm not great at caroms, so I'm gonna cut the 4 ball into the 1 and 9 ball and drag my cb to the upper corner pocket. Dr Bill the 13 ball looks like its gonna hit the long rail before the pocket.

cincy_kid

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
I was getting ready to type it, good eye as always!

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
That's pretty devastating if it works, and the difficulty is not too high relative to the reward! I didn't see that.

3C's shot is strong, too.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
if you can play the carom with center left and don't have to draw the ball I really like that otherwise I am going to bank the 15 and go up table.
Chris...if choosing to bank the 15, imo, instead of going up-table, it would be more productive to play the cueball flat across-table to shape up the 6 for the next shot.

baby huey

Verified Member
Bank the two ball off the bottom of the nine ball and stick the cueball right there.

Reactions: lll

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
Billy, I believe the 13 ball is a little too far forward to make the carom with a natural hit - you would have to draw your ball.

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm not great at caroms, so I'm gonna cut the 4 ball into the 1 and 9 ball and drag my cb to the upper corner pocket. Dr Bill the 13 ball looks like its gonna hit the long rail before the pocket.
The Ghost also mentioned that he thinks the 13ball sits too high, if so then this option is considerably weakened. mr3cushion's shot with playing the 9ball off the 10ball now becomes my choice for several reasons, I'll explain. Playing the 9ball off the 10ball moves three balls that go into your opponent's pocket and not into yours, plus it opens up your pocket for the 1ball which that in itself is appealing enough to choose it. Now you have the trapping factor with positioning the cue ball frozen on the 13ball and a better ball position to do damage if your trapping move turns out to be successful.

Let's envision the newly created position after we shoot and compare it to the original position, you can clearly see the benefit of this option.

Ky, cutting the 4ball into the 9ball and going up table seems to be viable, however, IMO you are not changing the landscape to where you can clearly envision a stronger ball position. I agree it's an easier shot to execute but the results aren't as strong.

Dr. Bill

Last edited: