John vs. Barry 7 - the end game - wwyd?

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Barry's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 6-6, both going to 8 --- Barry is in a difficult position --- not a lot of choices here --- the 13ball is approx. 2-1/2" off the rail, the cueball is 1/2" off the rail ----- wwyd >>>

P.S. Sorry Whitey - another tough wwyd for ya 🥺 :)
I like two shots here:

1) a high karate on the 13. I've been practicing those shots a lot so I'm comfortable I won't sell out the 3. The exam question is where the 13 would go. I believe I can send the 13 to my side but I'm not 100% sure given it has to be a pretty full hit on the 13 for the CB to come back to the bottom rail and not sell out the 3. If I am unable to send the 13 to the top corner on my side, I will not like my next shot (John will soft bank the 13 to his pocket and can even make it directly or off the 3 leaving me near the top rail).

2) Thin the 9 and send it to the bottom rail and the CB into the 3 off the long rail and hope to either make it or tie up the 13 bank. The 9 and 13 may kiss but it feels that the 3 should clear the path of the 9 earlier (before it rebounds off the bottom rail to kiss the 3) due to a higher speed of the CB on contacting the 9.

Overall, I probably like the second shot a bit more.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I'm also slow rolling to hit rs of 9. Cb to long rail and behind 13 or to end rail..I'm with tall Jeff again :)
It does not look like this shot is available. If you go to the end rail, you are bound to leave a relatively easy bank on the 13 (unless you leave a kiss which would be lucky). These banks turn very nicely on diamond tables

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
This is a very disadvantageous layout. Therefore I'd take a long look at coming off the the 13 with right swerve, in order to bump away the 3. Simple right spin won't get it far enough over, so the shot is to aim so as to allow the CB to come across the face of the 13.

If not, I'd likely soft kick the 3 off the side rail, aiming to contact the 3 ball low so as not to leave a free straight-back on the 9.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I am double back banking the 13 ball to make it in my hole and holding the cue ball by the opponent's pocket not giving up a shot on the 3 or the 9.
Stroking hard with high inside reverse english. Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
If I have a good knowledge of the table speed/roll, I might slow roll to thin the 9 on the right side and muddle up the 13 ball bank leaving the cb as near to the back of the 3 as I can get it...

If I don’t trust that shot, I’d still come off the right side of the 9 with the intent to bank it uptable past the side pockets while coming off the long rail with the cb trying to billiard the 3 ball over to my side... perhaps something good will happen....
I like these options

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Another shot I like is to shoot the 9 into the left side of the 3, for this moves the 9 & 3 both to my side of the table. The 3 ends up by my rail @ 2nd to 2-1/2 diamond or so, and the 9 up table by head rail by left corner pocket. Cb ends up below foot spot.
Worst that can happen is you pocket his 3 ball by not clipping it enough. Whitey

Tobermory

Verified Member
The worst that can happen is that you hang the 3 ball and leave him an easy shot and shape to win the game.

Another shot I like is to shoot the 9 into the left side of the 3, for this moves the 9 & 3 both to my side of the table. The 3 ends up by my rail @ 2nd to 2-1/2 diamond or so, and the 9 up table by head rail by left corner pocket. Cb ends up below foot spot.
Worst that can happen is you pocket his 3 ball by not clipping it enough. Whitey

Hard Times Carla

Well-Known-Member
I might take an intentional foul and freeze the cue ball to the end rail about half-way between where it is now and the left upper corner. Let the other guy shoot the off angle combo or spot shot combo and hope to have something better than this.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
The worst that can happen is that you hang the 3 ball and leave him an easy shot and shape to win the game.
Your right, I should not of used the word 'worst'. But, very low % of hanging versus making it, IMO. But, excellent results if struck properly. This has to be weighed vs. the worst, as with any going for it shot, and the % are in my favor, on this one.

The problem with this shot is that the 9 could be left for double out bank out of the upper left corner into the opponent's hole, w/ cb coming around to foot rail for a shot on the 13. Whitey

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
Barry's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 6-6, both going to 8 --- Barry is in a difficult position --- not a lot of choices here --- the 13ball is approx. 2-1/2" off the rail, the cueball is 1/2" off the rail ----- wwyd >>>

P.S. Sorry Whitey - another tough wwyd for ya 🥺 :)
Clip l/s of the 13, return cue ball to its starting position.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ratamon & Whitey....would you two bro's do me a favor, and tell me something to satisfy my curiosity...did you both read all of the info in my opening post before posting up your shot choices?

unoperro

Verified Member
I might take an intentional foul and freeze the cue ball to the end rail about half-way between where it is now and the left upper corner. Let the other guy shoot the off angle combo or spot shot combo and hope to have something better than this.
I looked at this but decided the spotted ball was too easy to be used against me.
Lose one and give my opponent something to work with. A double negative is not always a positive😉

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
The other possible play (might look better when at the table); kick into the bottom rail about 1/2 diamond out from opponents pocket.
Kick the 3 and 9 away.
I don't suppose they're likely to go far, and if contact on the 3 isn't full as possible (while still clearing the 9) the CB will get away.

vapros

Verified Member
Kicking under the 3 and 9 might turn out to be a good shot, but it's a crapshoot. The hai-karate could be a good shot, especially if you could shoot it as a double-bank. It's not dependable for me - it doesn't always work out - but if you can do it.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
33.JPG

The line on the 3 ball may be off depending on exact angles and where you hit it. It might go up and back towards your hole. You would have a pretty good feel for speed standing at the table.
The cue ball you would have to decide between straight follow or using high left to come two rails. Again this is a spot you should be able to figure out standing at the table.

lll

Verified Member
Ghost
you have put up some tough decision wwyd lately
Thank you (y)
it’s great to make us think......:)
although I am in Jeff’s shot choice class
if I really couldn’t figure this out I might against my best senses make the 3 for him and let the 9 dribble to the foot rail
there is a lot bad about this choice
i put him on the hill
i left the Q ball close to the 13 and 9
but I don’t Think I will leave an easy offensive shot ( unless the 13-9 line up bad)
and so we can grind and see if I can win needing 2

lll

Verified Member
You guys crossing the 9
do you think there is a kiss ?

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
The hai-karate could be a good shot, especially if you could shoot it as a double-bank.
The big 'if' here is that the 13 is sitting too far from the rail for the force-follow kill.
Ghost believes it's not plausible.
My experience tells me 'I'd rather decide that when able to see for myself'.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Load up bottom right and bank the 13 ball two rails to my pocket. Cue ball spins off the bottom rail into the three banking it cross corner to my hole. After whitey hits the three it caroms into the 9 banking the 9 long rail to my hole making all three balls. Shot needs to be played pretty firm...

If that isnt laying good I'd probably kick off the bottom rail into the 3/9 clearing both balls.