John vs. Barry 7 - the end game - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Barry's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 6-6, both going to 8 --- Barry is in a difficult position --- not a lot of choices here --- the 13ball is approx. 2-1/2" off the rail, the cueball is 1/2" off the rail ----- wwyd >>>

P.S. Sorry Whitey - another tough wwyd for ya 🥺 :)

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
as bad as you got me I got to be a bit aggresive and cross the 9 ball to carom the 3 towards my hole

Tobermory

Verified Member
I'd like to see you shoot that, Chris! If it were me, I'm soft kicking at the 3 off the long rail, expecting to catch about half of the 3 ball and push it towards the 13 whilst leaving the cue ball nearish the pocket, within an inch or two of the short rail. This shot is easy to shoot with a level cue so I'd expect to get pretty close to my intended outcome. If somehow I miss the 3 completely, the cue ball wouldn't be moving fast enough to sell out the 3.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
as bad as you got me I got to be a bit aggresive and cross the 9 ball to carom the 3 towards my hole
Chris, you will have to cut the 9 very thin to bank it across into the 3...that said...with that thin of a hit, to have the 9 hit the 3 hard enough to go towards your hole, as you said..your cueball will be running at a speed to where it will end up unsafely, back by the foot rail area of the table.

I'd like to see you shoot that, Chris! If it were me, I'm soft kicking at the 3 off the long rail, expecting to catch about half of the 3 ball and push it towards the 13 whilst leaving the cue ball nearish the pocket, within an inch or two of the short rail. This shot is easy to shoot with a level cue so I'd expect to get pretty close to my intended outcome. If somehow I miss the 3 completely, the cue ball wouldn't be moving fast enough to sell out the 3.
Except, that shot executed, leaves the straight back on the 9, or maybe some kind of cross-corner action.....and if you miss the 3 completely, you'll probably leave a cross-corner on the 13.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Due to the cueball and 13 being close to parallel it should be a easy soft 1 rail kick.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
If I have a good knowledge of the table speed/roll, I might slow roll to thin the 9 on the right side and muddle up the 13 ball bank leaving the cb as near to the back of the 3 as I can get it...

If I don’t trust that shot, I’d still come off the right side of the 9 with the intent to bank it uptable past the side pockets while coming off the long rail with the cb trying to billiard the 3 ball over to my side... perhaps something good will happen....

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I am playing the 9 off the 3 cross corner towards my hole and bringing cue ball back to where it is now

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Might be able to power top-spin to double bank the 13 and kill the CB underneath the 3.

I thought to kick and click both away leaving CB there, but way too much risk of return bank.
Thought of carom bank the 9 off the 3, but lots of danger leaving an easy 3 afterwards.
Not really any good choices here.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Looks like a soft hit on the right side of the 9, close to a half ball hit. Go to long rail and expect the 9 and 13 to leave no short rail banking lanes, and, if lucky, for the 3 to be blocking the other balls.

Update: I see Jeff got to that one first. That's a nice looking Diamond table in a nice looking basement, so I imagine it favors long touch shots.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
That's a nice looking Diamond table in a nice looking basement, so I imagine it favors long touch shots.
Yeah Cory, it's a nice table, but it's not a basement - it's a friend of mines large loft living space, with more than enough room to also have a Diamond bar table (in the background) >>>

001.JPG

Tobermory

Verified Member
Ghostie, I'd be trying to get the cue ball near the pocket, so that long bank on the 9 wouldn't be a sure thing, and when missed, unless you're planning to put the cue ball somewhere I haven't imagined, I'd have some kind of a return bank shot on the missed 9, wouldn't I?

And I wouldn't miss the 3!

Except, that shot executed, leaves the straight back on the 9.....and if you miss the 3 completely, you'll probably leave a cross-corner on the 13.
[/QUOTE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Might be able to power top-spin to double bank the 13 and kill the CB underneath the 3. <--- :LOL: Ain't happening - even with Chony Tohan or da 'Magician' shooting - not if meaning to double the foot rail.

I thought to kick and click both away leaving CB there, but way too much risk of return bank.
Thought of carom bank the 9 off the 3, but lots of danger leaving an easy 3 afterwards.

Not really any good choices here. <--- This, I agree with.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Barry's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- ball score is 6-6, both going to 8 --- Barry is in a difficult position --- not a lot of choices here --- the 13ball is approx. 2-1/2" off the rail, the cueball is 1/2" off the rail ----- wwyd >>>

P.S. Sorry Whitey - another tough wwyd for ya 🥺 :)
If a spotted ball will not go in past the 3, I am taking an intentional in front of the pocket to the cueballs left. If it will go in I am coming off the right side of the nine and try to hit it next to the 13 to block any returns

vapros

Verified Member
I believe I will bank the 11 ball gently toward my side and leave Jojo on the short rail. I think with right spin you might hit the 11 and then come up behind the 3 ball, but that's not what I'm shooting.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I believe I will bank the 13 ball gently toward my side and leave Jojo on the short rail. I think with right spin you might hit the 13 and then come up behind the 3 ball, but that's not what I'm shooting.
Bill, if you do that, John will then 2-rail that 13ball at his pocket/at the 9 & 3, and top-spin his cueball all the way up-table.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I'm also slow rolling to hit rs of 9. Cb to long rail and behind 13 or to end rail..I'm with tall Jeff again :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I am playing the 9 off the 3 cross corner towards my hole and bringing cue ball back to where it is now
Is that with high english?

Where is your 4 rail shot on the 11? The cb to spin into the 3 and 9 removing them :)

catkins

Verified Member
Ok I thought I could hit about third ball to do this ,which is why I did not hate the option

Cant tell how low the three is but if it the three is un makable from the foot rail I would honestly just roll on the thirteen playing to keep the thirteen on the rail and get the ce ball froze. This feels doable but tough to execute

Last edited: