John vs. Barry 3 - responding to the break - wwyd?

beatle

Verified Member
that could work skin but the combo is much harder, and if you mess that up you could sell out

Skin

Verified Member
that could work skin but the combo is much harder, and if you mess that up you could sell out
Half-ball hit on the right side of the 11 with center cb at thwacking speed. Everything else takes care of itself. If...the pics or my eyes don't lie, that is.

Tobermory

Verified Member
Making your move requires control of 5 or more moving parts. If you can control them all, your shot might work, but how likely is that, unless you play like Efren. Likely outcome, from my seat: If you actually aim perfectly and hit the right side of the 11 so that everything can fall into place, chances are pretty good that the CB will be flying around the table ending up somewhere not good for you, unless it just scratches in the side pocket, maybe off the 14; meanwhile. Best scenario of a 2-11 combo shot: you cut the 2 to bank the 11 towards your hole, maybe knocking the 1 ball towards your hole, possibly kissing off the 10, whilst caroming the CB into the 14 and keeping the CB near the side rail, sending the 14 over to your side up table, as the 2 ball kisses off the 11 and comes back up table without hitting the CB, all without leaving some kind of juicy bank to his hole when he comes to the table. Otherwise, I like it.

Half-ball hit on the right side of the 11 with center cb at thwacking speed. Everything else takes care of itself. If...the pics or my eyes don't lie, that is.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, Jimmy B. and my homeboy J.R. with their posts on page 1, agreed with Barry in this one...Jimmy diagrammed it just as Barry shot it, and here's how it turned out >>>

vapros

Verified Member
Good thread. I made the breaker a 17-13 dog for this game, assuming equal players. How about the rest of you?

beatle

Verified Member
thats how about i figured shooting that shot would work out. except he got lucky and didnt leave an easy long rail bank for the loss of game after opening up 6 balls on his side of the table. it did move the 11.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
It’s a good blow out shot but didn’t move balls towards your hole or leave your opponent in a trap. A quick look, There’s possibility two excellent replies.

Tobermory

Verified Member
Nice outcome, but that one ball might easily have hit the 11 squarely and got stuck near the pocket, thus available for his next shot. Before hit, not easy to figure exactly what will happen with the 1, which is why I didn't prefer that shot.

Interesting, I would not have seen that.

beatle

Verified Member
yea vapros ill take that table position with it being my shot and lay 3 to 2 odds all day long.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
I might just fire into the twelve and tuck jojo in between the 4-13 against the six..

View attachment 430192
My first reaction was to bank the 5?, 3?, then bank my next choice, the two. I discounted banking the two because their wasn’t enough angle on the cue to get my cue ball up table. My problem with banking the 3,5, was kissing the 12 gently and leaving a shot. As this is a normal shot reply to the break, it has been a stable in my return shots. But your shot. I love it. Your shot is based on patience. You are willing to give up putting balls on your side for position. Now that’s a different level!!!! I think Darmoose would love this shot. He plays tight.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
My first reaction was to bank the 5?, 3?, then bank my next choice, the two. I discounted banking the two because their wasn’t enough angle on the cue to get my cue ball up table. My problem with banking the 3,5, was kissing the 12 gently and leaving a shot. As this is a normal shot reply to the break, it has been a stable in my return shots. But your shot. I love it. Your shot is based on patience. You are willing to give up putting balls on your side for position. Now that’s a different level!!!! I think Darmoose would love this shot. He plays tight.

Yes, my first reaction might be boring so if I feel like doing a diagram, I will look around for a more action shot with more balls moving and more lines I can draw.. That why I use words like 'I MIGHT do something"..,,, . "C'est La Vie say the old folks, It goes to show you never can tell"... thanks...