John vs. Barry 10 - end game - wwyd?

Kybanks

Verified Member
Sorry Ky,
but according to the apparition, Barry didn’t shoot at the 10 ball, in any way, shape, or form...so if you are trying to find Barry’s shot, (and it’s gotta be a doozie) best come off the 1 in some fashion or the 11, even though you can’t see it...
Well he should have! Lol

sappo

Verified Member
I like tiking the 10 ball over to my side of the table and running the cue ball up table about even with the 11 ball so he can't play a 2 railer on it. If hit correctly the 10 ball should end up table about as high as the 11 ball and the cue ball. This leaves only a very thin cut on the 1 ball which would be fine with me. Im betting a tiki expert like Mr 3c would find this a very good solution. Keith
Im going back to my post #16.if you hit this tiki thin the balls move as I described and leaves you in a good position. K

baby huey

Verified Member
I'm quite late to the party. Frankly this wwyd is a bit confounding. That's because the cueball is on the rail. You can only push the cueball. I am not going to try to hit a home run here. I am suggesting that you hit the ten ball straight on and only drive it to center table between the side pockets and roll the cueball forward about four diamonds. If executed, you leave only awkward one rail bank shots. They at best would be less than 50% to pocket. That should allow me to continue in the game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I'll put up Barry's shot in a coupla hours...for now though, I just want to cut off the at the pass, the "Monday morning quarterbacks" 000000rolleyes.gif (who always show up, like a cat after tuna, to reject the shooter's choice)...and say...

Sure, Barry's shot could very well end up leaving John a bank, but so would everybody else's choice, except those choosing to shoot an intentional scratch...but Barry's plan, hint, hint, was to at least leave John long, and hopefully double up/clog up banking lanes, get lucky a little and not leave John a bank.

- Ghost

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
I'm quite late to the party. Frankly this wwyd is a bit confounding. That's because the cueball is on the rail. You can only push the cueball. I am not going to try to hit a home run here. I am suggesting that you hit the ten ball straight on and only drive it to center table between the side pockets and roll the cueball forward about four diamonds. If executed, you leave only awkward one rail bank shots. They at best would be less than 50% to pocket. That should allow me to continue in the game.
I think that's a good shot, but I'd try to roll the cue ball up to the head rail. In the position I've been using, a full-ball hit on the 10 sends it two rails into the 11. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can freeze the rock. Here's the slower speed:

CropperCapture[35].jpg

And here it is a little faster:

CropperCapture[36].jpg

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I think that's a good shot, but I'd try to roll the cue ball up to the head rail
This is the shot I had in mind (CB all the way up to rail). I think Vapros also suggested this.

Thanks for the graphic, Bob.

unoperro

Verified Member
So did he thin the left side of the 1 and try and 2 rail whitey back to where it is?

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I guess it being Chicago, home to a lot of good bank pool players and some of the tightest, squeezyest, defensive one pocket players on the planet, I’m guessing Barry, rather than giving up that hanger two railer on the 11, simply took a foul by rolling the cb up underneath the foot spot so he’d leave nothing at all when he spotted a ball, or rolled it over to where the two pennies are, either way leaves nothing...But if he did this, imo, he went from even money to a 3/2 dog when he could have just tried the crabcat shot and remained even money when John either didn’t get a shot at the 11 or missed it if he took a shot at it...
I agree that taking a scratch doesn’t make a lot of sense here. I can’t see a place where John can play position from a 2-railer and not leave an easier shot for Barry. So make him earn it, it’s no hanger

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Several people suggested going off of the left side of the 1 and try to 2-rail the cueball back to where it is...fact is, you can equally leave a straight back bank no matter which side of the down-table area you leave your cueball...that said...

Barry also shot off of the left side of the 1, but he played it with a tip of running english and approx. a 1/3rd ball hit, in order to billiard his cueball 3-rails in the opposite direction, trying to leave John at the foot rail, in his own pocket area....and as I said in my post earlier today, Barry hoped to double up/clog up banking lanes, get lucky a little and not leave John a bank, or at least a tough bank with long distance included...

Barry partially succeeded = he hit it a little too slow to get John all the way to the fot rail.....the 12 is blocking the bank on the 1ball, and it's a close call as to whether there's room to firmly stiff the bank on the 11ball, or is the 1 very slightly blocking it....anyways, here's how he came out >>>

003.JPG

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I'll put up Barry's shot in a coupla hours...for now though, I just want to cut off the at the pass, the "Monday morning quarterbacks" View attachment 432057 (who always show up, like a cat after tuna, to reject the shooter's choice)...and say...

Sure, Barry's shot could very well end up leaving John a bank, but so would everybody else's choice, except those choosing to shoot an intentional scratch...but Barry's plan, hint, hint, was to at least leave John long, and hopefully double up/clog up banking lanes, get lucky a little and not leave John a bank.

- Ghost
Ok Barry came off the left side of the 1, driving the 1 three rails hoping it stopped in the 11’s banking lane... cb 2/3 rails back towards the foot rail. Best guess at his shot...

wincardona

Verified Member
Ok Barry came off the left side of the 1, driving the 1 three rails hoping it stopped in the 11’s banking lane... cb 2/3 rails back towards the foot rail. Best guess at his shot...
Ok, his choice was not a good one for several reasons. One being that the 10ball is an asset where it is positioned which will in most cases benefit his opponent. Secondly, he could have left a straight back bank. He left a straight back bank on the 1ball, which will position two balls on his side with the 11ball as a ball that his opponent will need to defend.

If Barry came off of any ball but the 10ball it was imperative for him to have positioned a ball on his side to put restrictions on his opponent, which he didn't accomplish.

That's my 2 cents waiting for the flames.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
Several people suggested going off of the left side of the 1 and try to 2-rail the cueball back to where it is...fact is, you can equally leave a straight back bank no matter which side of the down-table area you leave your cueball...that said...

Barry also shot off of the left side of the 1, but he played it with a tip of running english and approx. a 1/3rd ball hit, in order to billiard his cueball 3-rails in the opposite direction, trying to leave John at the foot rail, in his own pocket area....and as I said in my post earlier today, Barry hoped to double up/clog up banking lanes, get lucky a little and not leave John a bank, or at least a tough bank with long distance included...

Barry partially succeeded = he hit it a little too slow to get John all the way to the fot rail.....the 12 is blocking the bank on the 1ball, and it's a close call as to whether there's room to firmly stiff the bank on the 11ball, or is the 1 very slightly blocking it....anyways, here's how he came out >>>

View attachment 432065
That was a lot of suspense for a sub-par shot.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Someone shoot my second shot choice and tell me how it turns out. Post 75.