john v ghost

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
In One-Pocket, the opposing player has to break "serve" once to win only if he lost the lag or toss for the 1st break.

In tennis, you do not have to "break" serve in a game to win. You can have a "mini-break" in a tiebreaker and win without ever having to "break" the opponents serve in a game. Only in the 5th set at Wimbledon do you have to break serve to win a tied set.

The serve in tennis is not completely analogous to the break in One-Pocket. The serve in tennis is much more powerful than the break in One-Pocket. How often do you see any player not getting out of an opponents break? Not often.

Dennis

Dennis, You are only half right in your statement regarding tennis. Unless they changed this format this year which I don't believe they did, a fifth set tie breaker only happens at the US open. Wimbledon, The French, and the Australian, all play the fifth set out until a player wins by two games.

Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis, You are only half right in your statement regarding tennis. Unless they changed this format this year which I don't believe they did, a fifth set tie breaker only happens at the US open. Wimbledon, The French, and the Australian, all play the fifth set out until a player wins by two games.

Tom

Tom,

You are correct. I don't remember ever seeing a 5th set at the French Open or the Aussie Open so maybe that explains my misunderstanding.

This from Wikipedia:

Tie-breaks are not used in the final set in the Australian Open for singles, French Open for singles, Wimbledon, the Olympics, Davis Cup, or Fed Cup. The US Open is the only major tournament to use a tiebreak in the final set for singles. The Australian Open and French Open do, however, use the final set tiebreak for men's and women's doubles.

This adds more ammunition to the argument against the break being analogous to the serve.

Dennis

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom,

You are correct. I don't remember ever seeing a 5th set at the French Open or the Aussie Open so maybe that explains my misunderstanding.

This from Wikipedia:

Tie-breaks are not used in the final set in the Australian Open for singles, French Open for singles, Wimbledon, the Olympics, Davis Cup, or Fed Cup. The US Open is the only major tournament to use a tiebreak in the final set for singles. The Australian Open and French Open do, however, use the final set tiebreak for men's and women's doubles.

This adds more ammunition to the argument against the break being analogous to the serve.

Dennis

Dennis I agree to a point. The serve in men's tennis is more powerful an advantage then the break in One Pocket, but you must admit that if you had a choice of taking the break or passing it over to your opponent for the final game of a One Pocket match you would accept it every time. I know I would gladly break 'em. An advantage is an advantage regardless of how small it may be.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Dennis I agree to a point. The serve in men's tennis is more powerful an advantage then the break in One Pocket, but you must admit that if you had a choice of taking the break or passing it over to your opponent for the final game of a One Pocket match you would accept it every time. I know I would gladly break 'em. An advantage is an advantage regardless of how small it may be.

Tom

Whenever I win the flip I make my opponent break.
I aint opening'em up if I can help it.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Tom

Tom,

Leave me alone, I'm trying to go to sleep:D.

You are 100% wrong about me wanting the break for the final game. I get out of the break and turn it around very well and don't consider it that much of an advantage. Never have.

John broke the last game but Ghosty got the first shots at the game, 3 shots if I recall but maybe only 2. I was tired. So much for the break in a long, even set.

Dennis

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom,

Leave me alone, I'm trying to go to sleep:D.

You are 100% wrong about me wanting the break for the final game. I get out of the break and turn it around very well and don't consider it that much of an advantage. Never have.

John broke the last game but Ghosty got the first shots at the game, 3 shots if I recall but maybe only 2. I was tired. So much for the break in a long, even set.

Dennis

Go to bed Dennis, You need the rest so you can get out of all those breaks you give up at the start of each set you play. I have to ask you though; if you plan to give up the break in the first game anyway, why flip the coin?

Just messing with you. :D

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
In One-Pocket, the opposing player has to break "serve" once to win only if he lost the lag or toss for the 1st break.

In tennis, you do not have to "break" serve in a game to win. You can have a "mini-break" in a tiebreaker and win without ever having to "break" the opponents serve in a game. Only in the 5th set at Wimbledon do you have to break serve to win a tied set.

The serve in tennis is not completely analogous to the break in One-Pocket. The serve in tennis is much more powerful than the break in One-Pocket. How often do you see any player not getting out of an opponents break? Not often.

Dennis

i realize this is a onepocket site
but
dennis i agree with the bolded statement above
therefore
a "mini break"in a tie break is even stronger because you won a point on HIS serve
and less points for him to recover
so still i really dont think that 2 players that are even in skill would let the other one break all the games
only if you are the better player and have skills to get out of the break (ie ronnie ) would you give the break as a spot
jmho
icbw
:)