john v ghost

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Congrats to John, He's has a MUCH better mental game than the Ghost!
I don't think the Ghost could take the pressure the last game and He imploded, too bad, I was rooting for him.

Without the many scratches John had it would of been over along time ago!

Once again, Good WIN John you deserve it!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Yeah, thanks to the participants and all involved. I enjoyed the parts I was able to watch.

Congrats to John. Maybe this will be the spark for some more healthy Chicago vs Cali streamed matchups.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Good match! I wonder if John will stop off in Arizona to match up with Bill Stroud possibly or maybe Freddy Boggs in Vegas, both old timers who still play solid. I could probably stream either one of those. ;)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Henderson wins it. That was a great match, fellahs! Thanks for allowing us to watch.

Cheers~ Doc

I couldn't get into the site for the last three hours of the match. I had friends giving me updates on the match. Who actually recorded the 10th win? If the Ghost did then it was a brilliant idea I gave them to play two ahead since I was rooting for my boy Johnny, who was on the verge of defeat going into to todays action. To bad someone had to lose. Ghost showed a lot of heart.
Thanks for both of you guys for the entertainment you gave us.

Svking

That was so sad to watch feel sorry for the ghost... Just couldn't handle the pressure Needed one ball Pool can be a humbling game

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Thanks to John and Luke for a great match....Couldn't have been any closer. I watched about 20 hrs of it....very entertaining. I've seen both of them play much better though.

There were some very good shots made and there were some bad shots attempted. I think the Ghost lost it at the end when he attempted the table length kick....That kinda took the air out of his sails. Both men deserve a lot of credit.

Congrats to Captain John Henderson for his stamina, patience and final victory.

1pocketpro

From
Vancouver, WA
Now that was CLOSE!

Hope I learned something. It was certainly a great opportunity. (John's passing on the last spot shot in favor of crossing the other ball and running the cue ball uptable.....cool!)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Thanks to John and Luke for a great match....Couldn't have been any closer. I watched about 20 hrs of it....very entertaining. I've seen both of them play much better though.

There were some very good shots made and there were some bad shots attempted. I think the Ghost lost it at the end when he attempted the table length kick....That kinda took the air out of his sails. Both men deserve a lot of credit.

Congrats to Captain John Henderson for his stamina, patience and final victory.

Yeah, what was up with that kick shot?? And Hendy missed the subsequent cross-bank that he's probably 95% to make.

That said, for every loose or iffy shot, there were a dozen+ strong moves.

We need someone to go through the tapes of the match and post up some key WWYDs. Not me, though.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks for the match guys.

My head is still spinning. Lots of hours for a race to ten. Lots of good stuff and lots of bad stuff. Reminds me of my game, some good some bad.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Yeah, what was up with that kick shot?? And Hendy missed the subsequent cross-bank that he's probably 95% to make.

That said, for every loose or iffy shot, there were a dozen+ strong moves.

We need someone to go through the tapes of the match and post up some key WWYDs. Not me, though.

I agree....there were some very nice defensive shots played throughout the match....I definitely learned a few moves.

(Regarding the bank) I think John wanted to make sure that if he missed the bank he didn't want to leave a return bank....he hit it bad though...nevertheless he erred on the pro side.

But both men got their share of rolls..... so no one can say the other shit out to get the win.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
congrats john.

john and barber please pm me your paypal or address where you want $ sent.

jimmy b - just want me to send steve payapal for site?

thanks to both you warriors.

Yes, Dustin, if you will. Wow what a match. Those pockets were so tight. I couldn't make a ball in those things. I watched several games there and really enjoyed it to the max. They really know the game. I learned several good moves and defensive things off of them.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
congratulations john
ghost although im sure you are feelimg down now
hold your head high you gave it your all and it was a helluva fight

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i didnt see all the match but from what i did you could tell by the moves annd shots attempted both players know onepocket
the fact that both players played below their speed is understandable under the circumstances
THANKS TO JOHN AND GHOST FOR THEIR WILLINGNESS TO PLAY/STREAM IT/
GREAT JOB
:)

chicagomike

Verified Member
I was fortunate enough to be able to sweat the last day of the match....and sweat I did. Although I had no financial interest in the match, I felt for both players through their ups and downs. The place was alive and buzzin'...everyone there was impressed by John's composure and ability to manage the up table games.

Thanks guys...That is the most enjoyment I've ever got out of watching a match. 8 and outs are nice to see, but I much more enjoyed seeing the suttle shots,moves, and strategies.

Thanks again for providing the action:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
i didnt see all the match but from what i did you could tell by the moves annd shots attempted both players know onepocket
the fact that both players played below their speed is understandable under the circumstances
THANKS TO JOHN AND GHOST FOR THEIR WILLINGNESS TO PLAY/STREAM IT/
GREAT JOB
:)
My sentiments exactly. I watched about half of the whole match and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Both players exhibited excellent shots and great thinking, in my opinion. You could also see that neither player always executes at the top of their game every time. That to me was real, and if I was playing on the stream, you all would have seen that weakness in me too. Yes, I felt for the Ghost for missing game ball -- been there done that, but never for nearly that much cash -- so I have only respect for that. His pause before that miss, to me seemed like nothing more than an effort to steel his nerves, not any kind of move as some critics on the chat suggested.

Ghost had some terrific take outs & billiard style shots that showed a little of his billiard background. He also hit his banks in general very well. John pocket scratched quite a few times but had streaks where he shot very well. I was surprised how well John played with all the balls up table -- several times John was able to lay a ball up fairly near his pocket and get a blocker ball between the cue and his threat ball, to great advantage. That particular shot variation turned a couple of the last games in John's direction.

The stream quality was excellent! MY only request from Red Shoes regarding the stream is if possibly the standard chat form was available instead of the "Social Chat". The Social chat seemed to have quite the delays so it tended to be kind of slow moving and difficult (at best) to comment back and forth in real time, and also did not offer private messaging. This suggestion in no way diminishes my appreciation for the match, however!!

Many many thanks to The Ghost, to John, to Red Shoes, and to any and all backers that made this match possible!!!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
About the "Match," John at his age is a strong competitor, He also is a PERFECT gentleman it looks to me in ALL facets of his life. His mental game is MUCH stronger than the Ghost. Both players had issues pocketing balls, I'm not sure but, I don't think either player ever ran 4 balls the entire time, (which was quite long). From what I could tell, the Ghost has a better game after the break, but, could not take advantage, could not run balls when he had an advantage. John has a better end game, and ALL the games, because NO ball running, were end game scenarios.

Do I think both players played their REAL speed, maybe. There's $20 speed,$100 speed and we ALL saw $3000 speed for these 2 players. I'm sure both players were a little nervous the 1st day, I thought they would snap out of by the next. Unfortunately for them their game's never seemed to kick in. And yesterdays finish was pretty much the same as the previous days, maybe a little less!

I think the "Match" was a good thing for the guys on this site as a reality check for most. You can post and reply to all the WWYD threads you want and feel like you know the correct shot behind a keyboard, but until your in the arena and with the cue in your hand, not a keyboard in those scenarios, it's ALL academic!

Once again, Congrats to John, if He goes to play Bill Stroud. I hope He continues His winning streak

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

chicagomike

Verified Member
Well, play has stalled in the 19th game. I don't know what the issue is. Ghost said something to the camera, but I couldn't figure it.

They obviously must be getting free table time. Ghost would never take so many breaks if he was on the clock...:D

Doc

Lol....free table time....ut uh. That was a short dinner break.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
About the "Match," John at his age is a strong competitor, He also is a PERFECT gentleman it looks to me in ALL facets of his life. His mental game is MUCH stronger than the Ghost. Both players had issues pocketing balls, I'm not sure but, I don't think either player ever ran 4 balls the entire time, (which was quite long). From what I could tell, the Ghost has a better game after the break, but, could not take advantage, could not run balls when he had an advantage. John has a better end game, and ALL the games, because NO ball running, were end game scenarios.

Do I think both players played their REAL speed, maybe. There's $20 speed,$100 speed and we ALL saw $3000 speed for these 2 players. I'm sure both players were a little nervous the 1st day, I thought they would snap out of by the next. Unfortunately for them their game's never seemed to kick in. And yesterdays finish was pretty much the same as the previous days, maybe a little less!

You are talking about a guy who is well into his seventies. An old man who had a seven hour flight to a different time zone and then you talk about his $3000 dollar speed? Johns game is about a third of what it used to be. Ten and out was not a rarity for John, it was normal.
When players came to California to play, John was there. On the 6X12 in LA, John was king. After he moved to Northern California, he played everyone, teaching players like me and anyone else who wanted to learn.
We have been going to the DCC for the past few years and John has won a lot of matches. $4K, 3k, 2K . He did lose a partners game but I don't count 3-1 games. (Three players against one.) He played Billy I, but Billy, I have to say played great,:eek: and nearly perfect. John was helpless. I know about all these games because they paid for our trips. Then there was the $4K match in AZ.
John plays on his own money. Not a backers money. His own SS money. Tell me that a guy living on retirement doesn't have game. The match could have easily been a $tenK match. John left a big chunk of change on the counter because he knew Ghoast couldn't go for any more.
The only thing I can say about john is what everyone on the best coast knows, HOF HOF HOF
For playing
For teaching,
For being a representative of the game.:cool::lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
GOOD MATCH GHOST. YOU PLAYED WELL
AT THE END, JOHN GOT A COUPLE OF ROLLS YOU GOT IN THE BEGINNING
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE THIRD MATCH, ONE TO ONE, The rubber match is next.
I'LL STILL PICK YOU UP AT THE AIRPORT
(Just try to fly in a little closer than SFO
Your friend, Kentucky.:heh:heh:heh