john v ghost

chicagomike

Verified Member
;)
I'm a little surprised to read some of the negative commentary about the challenge match between Henderson and Ghost. Perhaps some of the newer members expected to see the type of play one might see in a marquee contest such as between Frost and SVB.

These two men are very good players, but neither are pro quality, and they're both past their primes. Ghost is in his 60's, and John in his early 70's. They both know the game very well, and are not about to make some silly error of judgement over shot selection. Yet they both love the action, and can ply the game of one-pocket to express their competitiveness.

They deserve our credit. They've been good sports about the build-up to the match for the past several weeks. They graciously agreed to be put on live stream so that anyone anywhere could tune in and examine their play under the microscope. And we get to watch for free! They are playing for stakes that for all but a very few on this site generally do not play.

Until one becomes older himself, he's not going to understand how age affects the nerves. Seniors simply are not any longer capable of playing that carefree, swaggering, audacious type of game that we did at 30. There will be episodes of that type of play, but caution will usually win out.

Because of the circumstances, both men are bound to pucker a little. Yet watching their play was very instructive to me. I think they've settled down a little, and I expect to see more good one-pocket from these old war horses when they resume today. Now it'll be a race to 6 for the cheese...

~Doc

I agree with you Doc. I might add that I find it unsettling that others would be so quick to judge and be so critical towards fellow members who are stepping up to play. I for one have enjoyed everything leading up to this match and am enjoying watching them put their best foot forward in a high pressure high stake situation.

Kudos to both for doing what you do;)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Good post Doc.

To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
Elbert Hubbard

I say it takes a lot of heart to not only put up the cheese in a match when past your prime, but to do it while exposing yourselves in a live stream to the criticism of those who with only one leg would be eager to teach others how to run shows that Ghost and JR are class acts. :)

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thanks to Doc, Billy S. both Toms, and Mike for the appreciation....and the total bet now, after a couple of large bets that were made at post time yesterday, is up to approx. 4.5k..:eek:...and I just have to laugh at any clueless fools who want to knock the match because John and I are playing too slow - along with these people obviously not comprehending the beauty of the game of One Pocket, they also don't know the meaning of, or don't have any use for, the word respect.....besides for myself, and the $$$ of my own that I have up...I have the responsibility of doing my best to do the right thing for people betting a lot of $$$ on me - I would never disrespect them by not doing my best to find the best shot to shoot in every inning.

- Ghost

PS, and props also to Simon for his insightful post from last night - accurate on every point ----->

As a one pocket player the grind of it made the match more interesting to me personally...

It's easy to fire at the hole every shot.

The shot selection and mental side of the game is what appeals to me.

I've played the ghost and he plays looser and faster for less money.

Now that I think about it.. usually when the dollars go up the potential for slow games goes up too.

Dudley

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I'm a little surprised to read some of the negative commentary about the challenge match between Henderson and Ghost. Perhaps some of the newer members expected to see the type of play one might see in a marquee contest such as between Frost and SVB.

These two men are very good players, but neither are pro quality, and they're both past their primes. Ghost is in his 60's, and John in his early 70's. They both know the game very well, and are not about to make some silly error of judgement over shot selection. Yet they both love the action, and can ply the game of one-pocket to express their competitiveness.

They deserve our credit. They've been good sports about the build-up to the match for the past several weeks. They graciously agreed to be put on live stream so that anyone anywhere could tune in and examine their play under the microscope. And we get to watch for free! They are playing for stakes that for all but a very few on this site generally do not play.

Until one becomes older himself, he's not going to understand how age affects the nerves. Seniors simply are not any longer capable of playing that carefree, swaggering, audacious type of game that we did at 30. There will be episodes of that type of play, but caution will usually win out.

Because of the circumstances, both men are bound to pucker a little. Yet watching their play was very instructive to me. I think they've settled down a little, and I expect to see more good one-pocket from these old war horses when they resume today. Now it'll be a race to 6 for the cheese...

~Doc

well said. however, outside of a couple of unknown dildos who made consistently poor observations, the handful of the negative comments i saw weren't from the "newer members" at all.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Thanks to Doc, Billy S. both Toms, and Mike for the appreciation....and the total bet now, after a couple of large bets that were made at post time yesterday, is up to approx. 4.5k..:eek:...and I just have to laugh at any clueless pieces of garbage who want to knock the match because John and I are playing too slow.....besides for myself, and the $$$ of my own that I have up...I have the responsibility of doing my best to do the right thing for people betting a lot of $$$ on me - I would never disrespect them by not doing my best to find the best shot to shoot in every inning.

- Ghost

PS, and props also to Simon for his insightful post from last night - accurate on every point ----->

you guys picking it back up today ghosty? what time?

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
Six games in five hours, this is a great argument for my, or any other speed up rule!

I disagree that the game needs to be sped up, one pocket games are sometimes very slow and sometimes fairly quick but I don't think messing with the rules is a good answer, especially in this case. They are playing a match that just happens to be streamed for our entertainment. This is not a for profit PPV match that has a definitive start and stop time and it is also not a tournament with a desired stop time.

I watched about 6 hours of the match last night and I think it would have been a great match for an aspiring one pocket player to watch. While these two may not be the strongest ball pocketers on the planet there is a ton to be learned by watching them play this match.

I want to thank John and Bruce for stepping up and playing the match and Red Shoes for providing the free stream. I thought the stream was awesome and can live with not know the exact score at all times:D:D

Thanks Again
-don

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
Tap, tap, tap...

Tap, tap, tap...

~Doc

Great post and extremely insightful. I have played for these types of stakes and know for a fact that once you get to 4 figures and up the speed of the game slows down exponentially for most players.

Thanks
-don

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The several (not many) negative chatroom comments were probably made by 9 ballers who can't stand One-Pocket. Why would anyone care what they think?

Ghosty & John are giving it their all. They know the game inside & out. All the moves you'll ever know or see are being exhibited in their match. I missed the 1st game but watched every shot of every game after that. I'll do the same today unless I have to sleep for working tomorrow.

Good luck and good playing, Ghosty & John.

Dennis

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA

~Doc

Well said Doc

Dudley

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Great post and extremely insightful. I have played for these types of stakes and know for a fact that once you get to 4 figures and up the speed of the game slows down exponentially for most players.

Thanks
-don

Personally, I didn't think the match was moving slow at all. John is a little faster than Luke (don't call me Bruce) Perry, but all in all I'd say the match was typical for One-Pocket. Players should be taking their time and looking things over, no matter the bet.

Dennis

piggybank04

Verified Member

~Doc
i wholeheartedly agree, and my new versions of one pocket--short rack one pocket--and snap one pocket are being used by people as we speak, and im developing breaking strategies as well--these versions of one pocket are for those pressed for time, or those who dont have the kind of patience needed for full rack one pocket.....

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Nice work

Nice work

I do know the score now .....

I do not know the amount .... and do not really care as it is not my bizz.

I am enjoying the stream ... these two have been woofin at each other for years that I know of .... thanks John, Ghost, and Red Shoes.

And is that Fredy giving the voice lessons in the back ground? .... I am learning new words.

Oh .... someone would have to close the door if I were in action ..... whine whine whine .... my nit gene is expressing

Last edited:

chicagomike

Verified Member
8-6 Ghost, at 7:41 P.M.

Thank you John and Ghosty for extending our one pocket community the opportunity to live vicariously thru you for this 2 day nail biter. A thank you to Red Shoes as well.

Well played men...well played.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thank you John and Ghosty for extending our one pocket community the opportunity to live vicariously thru you for this 2 day nail biter. A thank you to Red Shoes as well.

Well played men...well played.
Agree Mike -- making for a fun One Pocket weekend!

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Looks like they unscrewed with the Ghost winning 8-7 and will continue tomorrow.

It's been a great matchup, lots of excellent moves and some misses by both players.

I would give the edge in making balls to Ghost, but John is moving pretty good.

More tomorrow?