Jersey Red vs. Bob Ogburn

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've been wanting to post up a WWYD featuring Bob "Black Bart" Ogburn since his nice win at the recent Super Seniors. This one is from the 1991 Legends of One Pocket. Red has run six, and left Bob in a very tricky spot. What do you suppose he did? And what would YOU do?... ~Doc

Bob-Red 1.jpg

Bob-Red 2.jpg

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I think he'll draw/bank the 14 into the 12 or 8 and leave em behind the four. Having watched him play 9 ball years back, it's a shot he's comfortable with.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ogburn is up against the wall for sure. He has lots of options here, but they are all pretty sad, except one. He must bank the 8 at the 6, following to the rail and rolling on the 11. If he should make the 6, lots of things might be possible.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The first thing I saw was the 8 ball bank into the 6 and hide behind the 11 like vapros suggested but depending where the 6 ends up, that 13 straight back may look awful good to Red.

Here's a shot, if it's on that could be a game winner. thin the 4 and carom the 12 to your hole. Use some RHE to hit the foot rail and spin behind those balls (11).

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Ogburn is up against the wall for sure. He has lots of options here, but they are all pretty sad, except one. He must bank the 8 at the 6, following to the rail and rolling on the 11. If he should make the 6, lots of things might be possible.

Yep. My shot also. 👍

Cory in dc

Verified Member
The first thing I saw was the 8 ball bank into the 6 and hide behind the 11 like vapros suggested but depending where the 6 ends up, that 13 straight back may look awful good to Red.

Here's a shot, if it's on that could be a game winner. thin the 4 and carom the 12 to your hole. Use some RHE to hit the foot rail and spin behind those balls (11).

Good eye, I missed that in favor of Vapros' shot.

baby huey

Verified Member
Looks like Bob can one rail the fourteen ball and swing the cueball three rails to the side rail by Red's pocket. This allows Bob to add a ball in play and possibly make it and get back into the game big time.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like Bob can one rail the fourteen ball and swing the cueball three rails to the side rail by Red's pocket. This allows Bob to add a ball in play and possibly make it and get back into the game big time.

I like this shot a lot too Jerry, considered it as my first option. The only thing that scares me is hitting the 14 full enough to bank it towards my hole while missing that side pocket scratch. If I thought I could when at the table, this may be my shot too...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think he'll draw/bank the 14 into the 12 or 8 and leave em behind the four. Having watched him play 9 ball years back, it's a shot he's comfortable with.

Yep, that's the shot I like, with a straight up and down angle it should be easy to draw behind the 7ball.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

I think this was the shot also
Emphasis on getting behind the 7 ball maybe bank the 14 short and carom it off the 12 4 or 8 toward the hole.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Of the guys who suggest banking the 8 into the 6, would you please indicate which ball you are calling the "6", since the 6 ball is not on the table? The balls are labelled with numbers..:)

Presumably when the tape was transferred to DVD the color was somewhat corrupted.

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Right you are, Doc. I think I would bank the 8 ball at the green 2 ball. I think Red made the 6 ball on a 3 rail in-off shot.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
my thought also,can I get a half of cookie?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

img]http://i.imgur.com/a1MDCb4.jpg[/img]
unless he shot this suggestion by the kid
me this seems the logical shot to me as suggested before
ogburn 1.jpg

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I think Chris earns the cookie with carrom on the 12. A little rhe along with generous pockets and you are back in the game.

Ben

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
After watching "Black Bart" play, I know he likes traps. I'm thinking of banking the fourteen into the eight or one of those in that cluster and putting my cue behind the other balls on the bottom rail. I also like the carom although there may not be enough room to make it.

beatle

Verified Member
down 6 to zip i am looking to make a ball on the next shot. that may be the lead ball in that 3 ball combo sitting there. up and down the table, off the 8 first or between the two balls and make it.

or the long bank or bank the 8 into one of the other balls and try to sh++t one in and leave him tough. if i sell out i rack them for the next game. if i dont i can near run out or get it even.

lots of possibilities and to each his own on this one

pvclou

Verified Member

Playing off the 14 looks too tricky for controlling the cue ball; drawing back or following 3 rails. If that's what he did, I'd like to see a clip of it. I'd be hoping to learn something new about how to move whitey.

I think I'd be looking hard at Cincy's carom shot if I was smart enough in that moment to see that idea. It looks to me though that instead of running english, it may need a little reverse to kill the speed in order to stay under the 2,7, & 11 balls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In observance of the unofficial "Cardone 24 hour rule", Bob's shot will be posted so as to invite further discussion.:)

Bob looked over this layout for a good 5 minutes. Presumably he studied each possible choice. He got down on a short table shot twice, then pulled up. He ended up following the 10 ball, trying to place the CB up by the far corner pocket. Unfortunately the aim or speed was a smidge off, which caused the CB to scratch in the pocket by which he wanted to leave it.

Bob-Red 3.jpg

Had he accomplished the shot, the leave would have been pretty fair, although Red might have been able to cut in the 11-- especially with side boards.

Here's the result of Bob's shot, showing Red pulling the CB out of the corner pocket, and Bob looking on. Surprisingly Red didn't run two and out. He made the 11, but drew the CB too far over, and got corner hooked in Bob's hole. But he went on to win in the next inning or two:

Bob-Red 4.jpg

Red was past his prime at 61, but it was obvious watching the DVD that he still had the fire and the knowledge. However Red only beat Bob by 5-4 in a VERY tight match.

The problem for we who watch this 25 years later is that the Murray table had bucket pockets, so there was more shooting than moving.

Unfortunately there was no cookie winner as regards Bob's shot. But I think that a few guys should certainly get a Jelly Bean for their suggestions. Billy J's and others' idea of banking the 14 back glancing off the cluster while drawing the CB safe was a good one. Likewise Beatle's suggestion of banking the 8 off the side rail into stuff was good. That's probably the shot I'd have tried.

I doubt that the carom shot on the 12 was "on". If it were, Bob would have considered it. Maybe he did, we'll never know...

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes, I have that match in the closet.. Good one Doc.. Great work..