Janco's 9-ball rules?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I noticed in our well written history of the Johnston City tournaments this statement about their 9-ball rules:

In 1967, for the first time, 9-Ball was played “On any foul (except the break), opponent may place the cue ball anywhere on the table.” In prior years, “push-out” was the standard for 9-Ball.

Since "push-out" and BIH are not necessarily mutually exclusive, I was wondering if we have a copy of the Jansco's 9-ball tournament rules? We have the one-pocket rules they used somewhere on the forum, which were surely the first ever published rules of one pocket. So I'm wondering about 9-ball as well, both pre and post 1967.

McChesney's Texas Express in the early '80s to my knowledge was the first rules to provide for the 3 foul, BIH rule. But I'm wondering how specifically at Johnston City they played the "push-out" rule; and how that combined with the BIH.

~Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
I was at JC twice.

As I remember the rule was that playing push out you assumed the first foul if you took the shot.
In other words if you chose to shoot after your opponent fouled you were on one foul already. If you then fouled it was ball in hand for your opponent.

The original rule was that you could push out after your opponent without giving ball in hand. This was used the first time I was at JC.

I remember watching Lassiter giving Clem the 7 playing 9 ball a 1k session. Clem made the 8 on the break and was running out for the session. They were tied 10/10. The 7 ball was on the end rail and when playing position Clem hit the tit on the side pocket leaving him a bank.
He didn’t,t like the bank so he pushed to get a better bank for a left hander. Lassiter pushed for a right handed bank.

Clem pushed again for a better left handed bank.

Lassiter cut in one of the thinnest cut shots I have ever seen. The cue ball was bouncing in the air.

Coates was staking Lassiter.

Bill Stroud

beatle

Verified Member
the way push out, or shootout as it was called, depending on where you lived. was any two fouls in a row was ball in hand for the incoming player.

a couple places down south played for a time any two fouls in a row by the same player. ball in hand. but that was isolated and never caught on elsewhere.

then the idiots to speed up the game and thinking it would make it more interesting for the spectators instituted texas express,where any foul ball in hand and 9 ball was no longer a good gambling game for the masses. the top players that were better shooters and not so smart liked it as they got out moved from the player that could think.
one foul generated jump cues since you basically lost the game if you got hidden. that again ruined the game. then all this made pool a game strictly of shooting so they made the pockets smaller. and that made the game worse again.

so now you can go into any pool room and hardly find some one to gamble for more than a couple bucks as the best shooter always wins and better shooters hardly ever give enough weight for the weaker player to even have a chance.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I would like to get copies of any and all Johnson City rule sets. It seems that there were multiple versions. Thanks for any help.