J. Parica vs. Bugs 1992 L.O.P.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Being behind 4-0, Jose probably wanted to shoot. Looks like he used a little outside low to help the bank, but it brought the CB off the head rail closer to Bugs' potential cut shot.

The two-railer isn't a bad choice, yet Parica in his prime might've been expected to have a little better CB control. Now Bugs can either cut the stripe by the 7, or kick out the ball by Jose's hole. The pockets on those old Murray's aren't that tough, but if Bugs misses the cut shot, then Jose probably gets 3 for sure, and likely one or two more.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Being behind 4-0, Jose probably wanted to shoot. Looks like he used a little outside low to help the bank, but it brought the CB off the head rail closer to Bugs' potential cut shot.

Doc

Yeah he cut the OB and drew the CB a little, which caused the OB to stiff instead of release on the 2nd rail.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

The two-railer isn't a bad choice, yet Parica in his prime might've been expected to have a little better CB control. Now Bugs can either cut the stripe by the 7, or kick out the ball by Jose's hole. The pockets on those old Murray's aren't that tough, but if Bugs misses the cut shot, then Jose probably gets 3 for sure, and likely one or two more.

Doc

Art, the option that Parica chose and his execution of it was pretty good, to say the least. Looking at the results of the shot imo he shot the correct shot, especially when you consider the score and ball position.I thought the stripe that he banked was sitting a little high for him to get the results he wanted, however, I was mistaken, excellent shot.

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Art, the option that Parica chose and his execution of it was pretty good, to say the least. Looking at the results of the shot imo he shot the correct shot, especially when you consider the score and ball position.I thought the stripe that he banked was sitting a little high for him to get the results he wanted, however, I was mistaken, excellent shot.

Dr. Bill

Sorry, but what are you talking about. He sold out. That shot didn't do squat.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
... looking at the two-railer again, I don't think the speed lies for going all the way up and half way back down with the cue ball. The cut on the two-railer looks a lot slighter than what you would need for that...
...like I said, the speed didn't look right :D:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Sorry, but what are you talking about. He sold out. That shot didn't do squat.
That's not the way I see it, he shot a good shot and put Bugs in a position that he wasn't comfortable with, especially with a 4-0 lead that he was risking. If you think that he sold out then you must play a lot better than I think you do, Bugs had to come with a tough shot. I would feel good about Bugs shooting that shot leading 4-0 if I were playing him.

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
That's not the way I see it, he shot a good shot and put Bugs in a position that he wasn't comfortable with, especially with a 4-0 lead that he was risking. If you think that he sold out then you must play a lot better than I think you do, Bugs had to come with a tough shot. I would feel good about Bugs shooting that shot leading 4-0 if I were playing him.

Dr. Bill

You're right, he put Bugs in a what you call a "must perform situation". A position that no one likes to be in. His best option from his position was to shoot and he got a way with it. If there was a better way to get out of that jam he was in I'm sure he would have taken that option.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
You're right, he put Bugs in a what you call a "must perform situation". A position that no one likes to be in. His best option from his position was to shoot and he got a way with it. If there was a better way to get out of that jam he was in I'm sure he would have taken that option.

i immediedetly got a fit of anxiety looking at that leave also....
:D

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
not afraid to admit this is something i struggle with...not looking to hijack the thread, but a question for frank, bill, fred, tom, rod, jim, dennis, etc...

when put in a situation where you just dont know exactly what to do...what goes through your mind? whats the correct order of thinking? (that is, of course, if you dont mind sharing...a pm is ok as well)

dustin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
not afraid to admit this is something i struggle with...not looking to hijack the thread, but a question for frank, bill, fred, tom, rod, jim, dennis, etc...

when put in a situation where you just dont know exactly what to do...what goes through your mind? whats the correct order of thinking? (that is, of course, if you dont mind sharing...a pm is ok as well)

dustin

Dustin,

You can't hijack a thread once the player's shot has been shown.

In answer to your question; I've rarely ever been in a situation where I didn't know what to do but when in a tough spot I go through a checklist of things. I figure in the pocket size, which Parica failed to do here, I figure in how we stand on games, I figure in my opponents mentality and a few other things. Bugs looked at kicking that ball away from Parica's pocket and got down to shoot it, then changed his mind. He's run out from that type spot for thousands and that situation in a tournament wasn't going to bother him. Parica should've known that. On a tighter table Bugs may not have shot at his pocket. He did wiggle the ball he made first.

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Dr. Bill

Maybe Bugs came with a shot but he's not in a trap.
That ball near the corner doesn't look to tough to take out. So the question is What did Jose accomplish with his shot? Not much in my book and I'm horrible.

stedyfred

Verified Member
The striped ball that Parica shot was sitting a little high up the table if he were to attempt to make the ball; he did make a good shot repositioning it near his hole.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Unless Parica made the 2 railer it wasn't worth shit. Look at the size of the pockets, it looks like an over sized bar table for christs sake. Plus from all the powder it looks like they are playing in some dive bar. Now if he would have shot the 15 ball into all those balls and froze on the 7 ball Parica could have changed the whole game around. Obviously people are not seeing the value of the shot. Jose could have crushed the balls and left zero!! There is no chance of any of the balls coming back and opening up he cue ball (the position of the 6 ball prevents that)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The striped ball that Parica shot was sitting a little high up the table if he were to attempt to make the ball; he did make a good shot repositioning it near his hole.
Actually, I don't think that ball was sitting high enough -- to make the Z-bank and have the cue ball go all the way up and back down to mid table. For the speed to lie right, Jose needed a thinner cut on on the Z-bank to keep the speed up on the cue ball without hitting the bank too hard. Another problem is, he was probably concerned a little about accidentally making (or worse -- hanging up) the ball in Bugs' pocket, because to make the 2-railer he would have needed to hit pretty close to Bugs' pocket. From Dennis's diagram it looks like Jose overcompensated. Unfortunately undercutting the ball took even more speed off the cue ball, resulting in the sell out. That's how I see it anyway.

By the way, The Ghost hits those Z-banks exceptionally well.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Parica may have been concerned ref possible scratch in side by clipping 7 ball and therefore passed on 2 railing ball near side pkt ( I realize this is Mr. Parica). From a purists perspective one pkt should not be played on bar table (JMO).