J. Parica vs. B. Burge 1999 D.C.C.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
2-rail the one ball. Straight back on the red ball. Cross corner on the nine. Duck.

That two-rail on the one looks good, but if you miss you leave something for sure. How about cross corner on the 9 now, leaving the cue ball on the far end?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The "money" shot is cross corner with the 7 ball and pull the cue ball back safe to the foot rail. Being behind or not, you must show patience in this situation. There is (sensibly) nothing more positive than the cross corner available.

Upside if you make it and the cue ball isnt frozen to the foot rail, is you can now two rail the one ball and draw the cue ball back to the foot rail for a relatively free shot.

Downside if you miss the cross corner? There is no downside, because you have now positioned 2 balls on the other side of the table making it very difficult for Jose to play a dead safe game on you. And now you can maneuver and wait for a better opportunity.

If you miss the cross corner you will only leave him the 2 railer on the 1 ball, which even if he makes it, he will still need another ball, and if he plays the shot correctly he will pull the cue ball back to the foot rail, playing himself safe on the out ball. He will also have to hit the 1 ball with speed so as not to leave a shot on the foot of the table. That means if he misses it, there will now be 3 balls in play on the head of the table.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
J. Parica vs. B. Burge 1999 D.C.C.

im rolling in the 9 , leaving whitey as close as possible to the rail......

That's actually what I saw first but I hated the idea that if I missed the pocket ducking I'd leave an easy bank withe the cue ball also on that end of the table.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That's actually what I saw first but I hated the idea that if I missed the pocket ducking I'd leave an easy bank withe the cue ball also on that end of the table.

That is why you try and do something that you are GUARANTEED to execute. Bubble the 9 in the pocket and you sell out.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fred's choice is obviously the best. He's the expert. That said, if the 9-ball is laying straight in, I don't believe there's a kiss, so it likely could be banked straight back without hitting the 6-ball.

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
Fred's choice is obviously the best. He's the expert. That said, if the 9-ball is laying straight in, I don't believe there's a kiss, so it likely could be banked straight back without hitting the 6-ball.

Doc

The 9 straight back. It's free as a bird too. Good call,Doc. JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, he sure took care of whitey! Nice leave. Jose's in a jam. He now can't shoot the 9-ball straight back because he'd leave the 3-ball if he missed. [I imagine JB would shoot it anyway, since it's one of his signature shots.;)]

Perhaps Red didn't have a long cross corner on the 3-ball. From our angle it looked as though he did, but in real time it might not have been available. If so, he surely would have shot that one instead of a low percentage twice-across. He also must not have liked the 9-ball straight back.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Red wound up with the same result I was talking about if he could have shot the cross corner. Now you can see how powerful it is to move the second ball to the head of the table.

Plus, the 2 railer on the 1 ball is not even available for your oppo now.

Red's next play is to try and knock off one of the hanging balls safely and he will then be back in the game. (Red cant win with both of those balls hanging and out of play -- because Jose already has 3 balls).

Here is an example of how strong table management can be, even from a harmless looking position.

Beard

Even if the kiss wasnt there for the 9 ball straight back, I wouldnt shoot it being behind 3 to 1 because even if I make it, I am going to have put myself down on the back rail and in a tough spot for a return safety. The shot is only good if I miss it, but then all the balls will be at the foot of the table where Jose has the best chance to take them out of play and play safeties to the back rail.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Red wound up with the same result I was talking about if he could have shot the cross corner. Now you can see how powerful it is to move the second ball to the head of the table.

Plus, the 2 railer on the 1 ball is not even available for your oppo now.

Red's next play is to try and knock off one of the hanging balls safely and he will then be back in the game. (Red cant win with both of those balls hanging and out of play -- because Jose already has 3 balls).

Here is an example of how strong table management can be, even from a harmless looking position.

Beard

Even if the kiss wasnt there for the 9 ball straight back, I wouldnt shoot it being behind 3 to 1 because even if I make it, I am going to have put myself down on the back rail and in a tough spot for a return safety. The shot is only good if I miss it, but then all the balls will be at the foot of the table where Jose has the best chance to take them out of play and play safeties to the back rail.

I agree with everything you have said, no rebuttal this time.:D OOPS!! the 7ball bank couldn't go, where Reds choice had a legitimate shot, as you can see.:sorry

Dr. Bill